Author Topic: Just not my month, Fairwell February....Valves anyone?  (Read 4414 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:12 pm
To set things up:   I finished my ES removal and  sold the excess parts on ebay using the proceeds to buy new controls for my RE...   Damaged my throttle cable in the changeover (don't know how I managed that) and had to order a new one. 

After installing my replacement went for a 8 mile ride around the lake.  All was well but on the last few blocks coming home I started to have a loud ticking coming from my valve area, since it was Wednesday afternoon I thought it could wait till the weekend, just something out of kilter..   

Thursday morning comes around and I go out to the garage and low and behold I have a flat rear tire. " Hmm,  I could swear the noise was my valves"...Thurdsay night I change 2 tires (my oem spare was defective) and worked on my new old lawn mower so I did not take her for a spin.   This morning I  took the RE to work (6 Miles), ran like a champ, no odd noises or anything until the last half mile to work, then that valve noise again...  " Hmmm, now I am worried...It was knocking before".

After work today I go out and pull the compression lever and start to kick her through and "Gack" she won't move after about half a kick...   Seemed pretty solidly jammed..  Kicker is only locked with the clutch engaged so I put her in 1st and rocked her and "thunk", she moved..  Primed and started easy after that, first kick..     Halfway back to the house the odometer rolls over 4000 miles and there comes the valve noise again with a sluggish feel..

My theory is a burnt intake or exhaust valve that stuck,  I will be tearing her apart this weekend to see,  hopefully I won't need to order more parts, but I think I will.  No worries,  its only the first bike week I can actually ride to and the top end of my motor will be in pieces...  :(

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:33:53 pm
I'll wager 2000 quatloos on a loose valve seat.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:39:21 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:53:43 pm
     Gary, try this before tearing into the engine:
     A valve sticks due to physical damage such as hitting a piston or gauling on the guide due to over heating or improper break-in, or due to excess carbon build up. Warm the bike up. If you still have the vacuum spigot from the PAV on the intake manifold, while the bike is still running take off the vacuum line and run another hose from the spigot into a cup of water. You will have to hold the throttle at a fast idle. Blip the throttle a few times and suck through about 8 oz of water. If you don't have that vacuum fitting you can remove the air box or even just peel back the air box manifold. Use a water pistol and squirt the water a little at a time. Again while keeping the engine at a fast idle. Run the engine after  until the exhaust runs clean.
     This procedure will steam clean the carbon from the combustion chamber and valves. It does work. It won't fix a dropped valve seat or a bent valve or any mechanical problem, but it won't hurt anything and it will help a specific carbon problem. If it doesn't work you wasted 10 minutes.
     Before you tear into it you could pop the push rod cover and check for smooth movement.  Ditto with the primary cover.
     Good luck!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:10:37 am
Vince,  I will do all you suggest in the morning...  I worry about the thing sticking at work this afternoon...   

I had a head gasket leak on the bike from new and at about 2000miles (need to check my records) had it fixed under warranty.. I would think if it was in bad shape my dealer would have noticed.  I asked him how it looked when he had it apart and he said OK..  I broke it in in August (mid 90s here in Florida) per instructions but after 1000 miles I started to ride it as normally....   

If the guides are out does that mean head replacement?  That would be over $200 I believe. If its a cheap fix I would do it myself but uggg....

The bike is within warranty till August and funny thing is the only thing I have not really altered is the engine/ head..    I really don't want to bring it over to my dealer,  he is great and all but I want to ride my RE not have it sit in the shop...  

Must... not.... get...... aggravated..... :-\
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:38:29 am
     I know it is frustrating and I know you want to ride, but if is is under warranty then take it in. You will save yourself aggravation and money. Calm yourself with beer and sex. It works for me.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 01:00:18 am
Just one of those weeks...

yes, i got the picture at ADVRider
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:32:17 am
I'll wager 2000 quatloos on a loose valve seat.
:DAm I the only one who got the Star Trek refererence? Am I a total Dork? ???

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:57:33 am
sounds like valve piston interferance. Will this  happen if a  guide  drops on these motors?  If  it  is  a new OEM valve is  what...12 bucks? Lap the head on and  fix oil leak at head while  the  dealer is  in there maybe. my money on the exhaust  valve being bent  :'(. you will have her up and better  than  ever I'm sure.   possibly a good  time  for a compression  piston and cam refaze like Ace has  talked  about.  Plenty of  time  till spring...no frettin  ;)    Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:39:15 pm
to fi
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:55:52 pm
sounds like valve piston interferance. Will this  happen if a  guide  drops on these motors?  If  it  is  a new OEM valve is  what...12 bucks? Lap the head on and  fix oil leak at head while  the  dealer is  in there maybe. my money on the exhaust  valve being bent  :'(. you will have her up and better  than  ever I'm sure.   possibly a good  time  for a compression  piston and cam refaze like Ace has  talked  about.  Plenty of  time  till spring...no frettin  ;)    Gerry

I had the head done about 2k ago so no more no leaks.... But I bet your right about the valve...  I need to go get a spritzer bottle and some ATF for my primary..  Off to the store...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 08:10:59 pm
So went and got my spritzer bottle.. 

Tried to kick the engine over one full rotation with the decomp on and it stopped dead just like at work yesterday.  So I left it locked up and started to check things.

Pulled the primary,  this is good because its the first time for me opening it since my KS conversion.  Everything looks great,  chain tension etc, I even check the spacing around the stator and that is fine...   

Moved onto the push rod adjustment cover and here is what I found.  Forgive the cellphone quality...

Not good,  I guess I better read my manual on replacing this. 

So pulled off the valve cover for the intake..  Got this..

So the valve is stuck down,  best case is carbon buildup or bent valve is what I am thinking.   

So the quick and dirty question is should I bring it into the shop and get her repaired under warranty or should I try this myself.. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:09 am
That has all the indications of a stuck bent valve all right!  If it is under warrenty, take it in, have them fix it.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 03:12:45 am
Edit..

After looking at the parts diagram is it my basic understanding the push rod is fine and the only thing that keeps the assemble together at the adjustment  point is the tension supplied through the rocker by the valve spring.  Is this correct?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:29:35 am by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
Edit..

After looking at the parts diagram is it my basic understanding the push rod is fine and the only thing that keeps the assemble together at the adjustment  point is the tension supplied through the rocker by the valve spring.  Is this correct?

This is correct.

I think this is going to be a warrantee job.
I'd recommend taking it to the dealer.
He might say it's ok for you to just bring the head in.

After a closer look at the picture, the pushrod might be a little bent at the adjuster. Check it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:10:32 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:25 pm
     Gary, I don't recall seeing an adjuster screwed that far into the push rod. Was the lock nut loose? It might have just vibrated itself loose. I remember talking to Tait (at CMW) and he told me of a similar problem on a ride. He was able to re-install the push rod on the side of the road and ride home.
     You might try simply re-installing and adjusting the push rod. Start it up. If everything work OK I would stop and replace the push rod before riding. If it starts and runs OK you don't have a bent valve. No matter what I would replace the push rod. It does look like it might be bent, but even if it is straight it will be damaged and /or weakened by the event.