Author Topic: Merged: Gear Box  (Read 7909 times)

5th rohr

• Scooter
on: July 06, 2007, 12:33:55 pm
I have 02 4 speed  bike What do I put in the gear box? The owners manual called for SAE-50 oil?
but the catalog has an grease ? so which is it? and how much?
i drained the gear box and black sludge came out?
Thanks 5th Rohr

deejay

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:02:51 pm
I have 02 4 speed  bike What do I put in the gear box? The owners manual called for SAE-50 oil?
but the catalog has an grease ? so which is it? and how much?
i drained the gear box and black sludge came out?
Thanks 5th Rohr

Follow the link...

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/gear-grease-requisite-lubricant-4speeds-p-504.html

kmx888

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:53:31 pm
You are misinterpreting what the book is saying about the 50wt. The book says to "top it off" with 50wt. What comes in that transmission is 00 grease. It is a grease that has the consistency of snot. It is somewhere between grease and oil. It uses this material because conventional oil will leak. So what the book is saying is that if it is low, use 50wt to fill it. It won't get low unless it leaks out which is unlikely with the grease. There are two ways to change the old grease out which should be done once in a while. One way is to remove the inner transmission cover and scrap out the old grease. This is the best way. Then add new grease. The grease mentioned above by DeeJay is synthetic and will not tend to glob up like the OEM grease. Another method is to add some ATF (Automatic transmission fluid) to the transmission and then drive it for 40-50 miles to get the box good and hot. Then drain it. The ATF helps loosen the old grease.  I would let it drain all night long. In newer Bullets (2003 and later) they changed one of the seals which helps them retain oil, so youmay get away with regualr 90 wt gear oil

5th rohr

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 11:50:45 pm
kmx888 Thank you for the help. I have more questions for you. I went ahead and ordered the tube of gear grease you rec omened several days ago. I just received it and man what a big tube of grease.!!! I might have made a mistake. on my 4 speed trans. their is a 18mm drain plug just below the kick start lever. I took this out and the black sludge came out about 1 pint worth. Directly above this plug on top of the gear box is a 18mm plug i removed to re-fill w/ the new grease. Is this correct?? Is this where i pump in the new grease???
Thank You again for the help.
5th Rohr

kmx888

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:17:16 pm
There is a grease fitting on the top of the 4-speed transmission. DO NOT USE THIS TO FILL THE TRANNY. It is there to allow you to grease the pivot arm that operates the clutch. This is a common mistake. The outer tranmission cover is dry inside and has no gasket. If you look on the top of the transmission you will see a hexagonal bolt head. It goes into the inner transmission cover, this is the filler hole. If you look just below it on the front of the inner cover you will see another hex head. this is the level plug. When you have drained out all of the old transmission grease by adding some automatic transmission fluid and riding the bike until the tranny is hot, then add new grease. Becareful not to overfill it. Put the new grease in slowly so that you can check the level. There is most certainly more grease in the tube than you need, so you will have some extra. The grease sold by Classic Motorworks http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/gear-grease-requisite-lubricant-4speeds-p-504.html is synthetic and will not cake up like the original grease, but if you don't want to use it, any 00 grease will work. It is hard to find, but some people have found it at small engine shops.

5th rohr

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:38:43 pm
KMX888,
Hey Thanks for all the help. I did what you said and all went well.
You where correct about the amount of grease in the tube. I now have enough gear grease for the life of the bike.
Thanks again. 5th Rohr