Author Topic: Mystery Part Fell Off  (Read 1604 times)

tony_s

• Scooter
on: February 25, 2009, 05:15:41 am
Can anyone identify what the thing in this picture is?  It fell out from somewhere under the seat while I was sticking my fingers up there checking for loose connections on the side of the road this morning.

Note to new owners: pay attention to the picture in the manual of where the fuse holder is, or face the embarrassment of a tow home for no reason.

-Tony

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:31:53 pm
I don't think this lives under the seat.
If'n I had to guess, I'd say it was a bronze bushing, maybe the swing arm? spacer for motor/trans, rear wheel spacer, brake pivot assembly? I don't think trans, motor cuz more than likely they were assembled SOMEWHERE else and put on the bike as a unit?
Yep, you'll learn to check the "quick" things first.
Looks like you got a "extra part".

Here's my "Stupid Moment" on the road side.
I had stopped with my '09 Military at a store, (had the bike like 2 days).
(Now this is my 3rd R.E., so I'm pretty familiar with the "usual mishaps"). FIRST MISTAKE- I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing!! ::)
Hop on the bike, I ALWAYS fire my bikes up whilist I'm putting my gloves, helmet , etc. on, to let it warm up
I hit the E button-crank, crank, crank, crank,(don't panic, it's a new scoot, just learn it's starting procedure), choke, crank, kick, kick. Check the gas, open the filler cap, yet gas in there.
"WHAT THE F***"!! >:(
Start ripping it apart, fuses, head light, connections all over, looking for SOMETHING.
Put it up on the center stand, more tinkering, try it again "Huston we have IGNITION"!
Then it hit me- I HAD THE @#%&^()**()&&^^%$#@#!!@#$%&^*(&()*)(*!!!  SIDE STAND DOWN! :o
Spent like 2 hours there, had my wife run me over a bunch of tools, was pissed to the max for purchasing a bike that quit after 200 miles, had to put up with my friends verbal abuse, my wife's "THE look"!
That's my "Dumb Sh**" story!
So don't feel bad, you gotta put your dues in if'n your a R.E. rider! ;D
Welcome to the club!!
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 02:46:43 pm
My guess is it is the spacer on the lower nut that holds the plate on that the Coil is mounted to.  Check the bolt from the bracket atop the trans to the metal plate fender thing that the coil is mounted to.  It might be hidden by the airbox (I have no airbox).  Mine came loose once, the bolt will stay put and rattle nicely but the spacer and nut will be long gone...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:49 pm
I have passed your picture around the office. One guess is that is is the brake pedal shaft bushing and another says that if you put in a new battery it might be a battery spacer.
  I am pretty good with Enfield parts and I am not coming up with anything myself. The brass part is what is mystifying me.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:13:28 pm
looks like a hydraulic muffler bearing
 :D

tony_s

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 06:36:45 am
Thanks everyone, The Garbone called it. When I pulled the battery out I found the bolt tangled up in the wires behind the gearbox.  I ended up pulling off the airbox and RH toolbox to give myself enough room to put it back together (with some thread locker), but I think it might have been faster to just pull off the rear wheel.

-Tony