Author Topic: UCE oil  (Read 11559 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:37 pm
I don't want to start a debate on the merits of various oils, But does anyone know what oil RE recommends for the new UCE engine?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:07:03 pm
15 W 50 API SL Semi Synthetic
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:18 pm
That's what I wanted to know, Thanks!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:24 am
Do you know of a particular brand they recommend?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:36:54 am by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:59:51 am
Do you know of a particular brand they recommend?

JASO MA ESTER-Semi-Synthetic or equivalent.
Don't think your gonna get that outside of India though so pick a good "equivalent" and go with it.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:20:27 am
Ha, yeah I think the Indian oil may be out of the question, plenty of good oil to be had here though, Thanks again
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:16:00 am
     Any premium motorcycle 20W50 will be fine. By its very nature any multi-viscosity oil is a synthetic blend. I use Torco brand oils, but any name brand would be fine. Use Spectro,. Motul, or any other name brand from your motorcycle store.
     Remember, with the Unit construction engine it is important to get a motorcycle lubricant with additives for the clutch and transmission. Anything wet and slimey will work, but "safe for motorcycles" is not nearly as good as  motorcycle specific.

prof_stack

Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:45:03 am
So, what rating should the oil have?   I mean, like, SL - SJ - SN, or whatever those letters are?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:31 am
It looks like the SL rating is what is called for.
Iron Butt Association

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:16:39 am
Vince, do you think a full synthetic would be all right, or could it possibly cause clutch slippage?
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:59:05 pm
     Wear, abuse, or mis-adjustment cause clutch slippage. The oil makes no difference. Full synthetics are great, but one of the properties of a full synthetic is its ability to flow in extremely tight tolerances. This means that if there is any flaw in a casting or gasket it is more likely to leak.
     SJ and later oils are formulated for modern car engines, These run tight tolerances and high oil pressure. These oils have less heavy metals to better meet EPA requirements in new cars. This is the opposite  of the RE. The SH and earlier spec oils use a different additive package that makes them more friendly to older engines and other engines similar to the RE.
     The JASO-MA spec was certified by the Japanese oil industry to meet the need of the older bikes when the SJ spec was introduced in the US.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:43:38 am
15 W 50 API SL Semi Synthetic
Because I am getting near to an oil change, the manual does state as above but also
15W 50 API SL Grade
JASOMA ESTER Semi Synthetic oil.
Now my question is, is this a grade of semi synthetic or is there a choice of an ordinary oil or semi synthetic
I.E. 15w 50api sl grade or Jasoma Ester semi synthetic.
I need to be sure in case the dealer slips in an ordinary oil, when it should in fact be a semi synthetic.( when originally asked he said, Oh! I just put in "so and so" but it did'nt sound like a semi synthetic to me, and he may have been thinking that the oil that went into older previous models would do,
Cheers

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 12:24:56 pm
One thing to be careful about is to not use auto oils that contain friction modifiers in wet clutches.  These oils generally have a disclaimer on them that specifies they are NOT suitable for wet clutch uses.  Make sure you get something that is a motorcycle oil.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:47 pm
One thing to be careful about is to not use auto oils that contain friction modifiers in wet clutches.  These oils generally have a disclaimer on them that specifies they are NOT suitable for wet clutch uses.  Make sure you get something that is a motorcycle oil.
Will do Dave, thanks for the info

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 02:06:53 pm
     Any modern 20W50 motorcycle specific oil will be fine. JASO is the preferred standard.