Author Topic: UCE Seminar at Vince's  (Read 4649 times)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:57 pm
     Sunday and Monday Kevin and a crew from the factory in India gave the West Coast our first taste of the new engine. In attendance were Trails End from Fairbanks, Ak., Perry's M/C from Ft. Worth, Tx., Ural NW from Bellingham, Wa., Speed Motorsports  from Yakima, Wa., And Unique Ride from Ft, Collins, Co.
     It was a great group of really knowledgeable people. These guys are good. and dedicated to the Royal Enfield line.
     THE ENGINES ARE GREAT!!!!! I would put the level of design, fit and finish up against anything out of Japan. It was designed for real world riders in real world riding conditions. As opinionated as I am, I could only come up with two small areas I would want them to change. The factory reps actually discussed them with the group and LISTENED to us. With this kind of factory involvement I see great things in the future for Royal Enfield.
     There is still plenty of room for the tinkerer to play. My only real caution to the home mechanic would be to leave the injection system alone. The system is elegant in it's simplicity and robust in it's construction. If left alone you will probably never have a fuel or ignition problem.
     I am sure that performance upgrades will be available, but in the meantime all the other areas that we now customize are still wide open for personalizing.
     I am really stoked!!!

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:46:39 pm
That's good to hear Vince.  When are you going to have one on the floor so we can come down and "feel it up?" 

Especially encouraging is the Companies (R.E.),  attitude, or philosophy rather.  They seemto be evolving the bikes nicely, all the while keeping a handle on where they came from. 

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:04:18 pm
Brother Vince, I thank you for sharing the additional good news about the new products!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

prof_stack

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:44 pm
Vince, I'm shocked and offended that you didn't invite the WA state forum members! 

Okay, thinking about it a moment, you were wise not to.   :D

Seriously, it will be great to see it (and ride it) up close later this Spring.  What dates do you have for the G5 and C5 coming to Olympia?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:56 pm
That's good to hear Vince.  When are you going to have one on the floor so we can come down and "feel it up?" 

The last time I felt up something this hot was almost 30 years ago. I married her! It's been great!
     With luck the new bikes should be here in about 2 weeks. I will announce here and on my site.
     I don't know if I should tell that Professor guy. What do the rest of you think?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:38:03 pm
As opinionated as I am, I could only come up with two small areas I would want them to change.

And these were?
Just asking to see if they were the same as mine. You know Luddite to Luddite!
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:38 pm
"I don't know if I should tell that Professor guy. What do the rest of you think?"  Vince

Hey, Vince, the Prof is a good guy; don't keep'm the dark, man!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:11 pm
Thanks for the engine review, I need one of these bikes!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:56:21 am

And these were?
Just asking to see if they were the same as mine. You know Luddite to Luddite!

The addition of one 8mm threaded boss would have allowed the use of a case splitting tool. Dis-assembly would be quicker and easier. Not really a big deal considering how seldom this would arise. Some of the guys did not like that to remove the lifters would require dis-assembling the case. Again, a low percentage issue. The factory was already on this.
     The biggest issue I saw was the oil filter. It uses the same as the AVL, but you have to install o-rings and a plate in order . It was a pain. We discussed how to remedy this. I believe we will soon see a redesigned filter that will just drop in.
     The motor really was a jewel. The points I raised were relatively minor and easily correctable. They are nothing that would affect reliability or ride-ability or engine life.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 12:12:21 am
     My first shipment of UCE bikes was released yesterday. I will have them next week. I'm sure that all the dealers I mentioned at the top of this thread also have them coming. Contact any of us for more info.