Author Topic: new bike won't start  (Read 3098 times)

retrorider

• Scooter
on: February 15, 2009, 10:17:32 pm
Hey guys. I just got a 07 bullet from out of state. I took it for a spin around the parking lot when I got it and everything was fine. Four days later and I can't get it to start. I've tried everything (kick, electric, choke) to no avail. I stopped trying because I noticed a little smoke coming from the air filter box (is this normal?). It also has a heavy gas smell around the carb at all times. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:48:45 pm
First thing to check is that you haven't inadvertently pushed the kill switch into the "off" position. That's happened to most of us here, so check the kill switch on the right handlebar.
That might do it.

However, if you've been getting alot of gas into the engine while attempting to get it started, it may have fouled the spark plug, so check that it is clean and dry.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:56:44 pm
Yeah, I checked everything over about 50 times. Fuel is on, ignition, engine kill switch. Somebody in another post mentioned having the back tire off the ground. How would this help (if it would)?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:07:26 pm
Well, I'd check the spark plug to make sure it isn't fouled. And make sure that it is sparking. Sometimes spark plugs just die.
You might need a new plug.
If you are getting fuel, and you are getting spark, and you aren't fouling the plug, then it should start. Maybe you might need to get accustomed to knowing when it needs the enrichment lever, and when it doesn't.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it has water in the gas tank or in the float bowl, or you have old gas that's gone bad.

Usually these bikes aren't too hard to get going.
Mine gets started in one or two kicks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:29:46 pm by ace.cafe »

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:16 am
     Turn off the petcock.
     Drain the carb. Ignition OFF.
     Spark plug out. Hold the throttle wide open.
     While holding  the decompression lever kick the engine through at least 6 times.
     Put in a NEW plug.
     Unless there is some other problem it should start now without the choke.

stnewbie

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:24:26 am
Welcome to owning an Enfield!  ;D

I get a lot of smoke around my airbox sometimes. I don't know if that's "normal," but it runs fine as far as i can tell. Kickstarts on first or second try, so I believe my timing is good.

Snidal manual recommends 3/4 open throttle while trying to start if you've flooded it.

Have you checked to see if fuel is coming through the petcock by pulling off the hose?

You do have it in neutral, right?

Could the kill switch have gone bad?
...just thinking out loud here....

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:26:48 am
I would pull the fuel line off the carb and just check if gas is getting through..  If the bike has rust and crud in the tank it could have have clogged the screen atop the petcock.  

How many miles does it have?  I know when my 07 iron had less than 1500 I would have to prime it kinda by kicking it through with the compression release on and kill of about 5 times.  Then it would kick first or second time.

Also check the rubber manifold tube between the engine and carb for cracks,  if it sucks air through there it might be leaning it out too much.  Wrap with tape as needed..  ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:36:46 am
Wow. Thanks for all the help. To answer some questions. Yes, the bike was in neutral and it only has 15 miles on it. I'm sure it's been sitting around for a year before I bought it (it's an '07). The dealer I bought it from will be open on Monday, so I'll see what he has to say. I'm hoping to work this out on my own. I'm pretty new to working with bikes (never owned one, only ride them), so I appreciate everything from you guys!

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 01:56:55 am
Someone refresh my memory................do the new electric start bikes have a cutout switch on the sidestand to prevent the starter from operating with the stand down?

Otherwise, you need correct fuel/air mix 14:1, compression, spark and timing to get things to go.  So check each.

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 02:06:14 am
Someone refresh my memory................do the new electric start bikes have a cutout switch on the sidestand to prevent the starter from operating with the stand down?

That might be the problem.  Don't know about the classics, but my Electra will turn over with the stand down, but it won't start. It was kinda confusing to me.

Try putting it on the center stand, with the sidestand up, or pulling in the clutch lever if the stand is down, and see it if starts.   If it does start, and you let out the clutch, with the sidestand down, it will quit.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:24 am
With only 15 miles one has to wonder if the dealer really did the initial setup on the thing properly.   My bike had over 150 miles on it that the dealer had put on it prepping it for pickup...   It had between 7 and 15 miles (I forget exactly) from the factory sitting on the floor with no oil in it when I looked at it before I bought it.   Just putting it out there.....
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:51:48 am
With only 15 miles one has to wonder if the dealer really did the initial setup on the thing properly.   My bike had over 150 miles on it that the dealer had put on it prepping it for pickup...   It had between 7 and 15 miles (I forget exactly) from the factory sitting on the floor with no oil in it when I looked at it before I bought it.   Just putting it out there.....
Dealer prep has been a BIG issue with the Royal Enfield bikes. The ones that ARE properly prepped at the dealers (read - RIDDEN and adjusted) never seem to have these issues. CMW is taking gREat pains to make sure that dealers DO prep the bikes and not make the new owner the "test rider". If I were the new owner of this bike, I'd take it RIGHT back to the selling dealer straight away to get it running. I'd not lay a wrench on it as you have a WARRANTY in effect on the bike. I'd also make sure that the dealer completes the set up on the bike - including a few miles ridden to preclude any of this from happening to you again. DO let us all know what you find out here ...
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

old dog

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 03:32:27 pm

Hey guys,
   I have a new 2009 Classic,and the engine will turn over with the side(kick ) stand down,
but will not start,and the clutch lever in or out.

old dog 

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 04:21:55 pm
     You are taking this way to seriously. Certainly it could be a dealer prep problem or something much more serious. But most likely it is simply flooded. I thoroughly prep every bike I sell, not just the Enfields, and even with the best of care it only takes an extra 15 SECONDS of choke to foul a plug on many bikes. Also with the Enfield, if the break-in is being properly performed the first few rides will be short, and at low speed. This also is an easy way to foul a plug. Add in unfamiliarity with the starting procedure and you have more potential for this kind of problem.
     I always give a new customer at least one fresh plug with the bike. They usually need it. Most of the customer's first trips back to the store involve a new plug and a reinforcement of the starting procedure.
     So don't worry. It is probably really minor. Try the procedure i suggested earlier. Good luck!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 07:52:32 pm
Vince - I'm sure if that bike had come from YOUR dealership, there would BE no problem .... You not only have a gREat rep for getting the bikes to 100% - you get the end user there as well. SOMEbody dropped the ball here, I'm betting ..... This sort of stuff will make the UCE/EFI bikes worth their weight in gold!  ;) A fellow with a new bike ought to be RIDIN' it - not wrenchin' on it .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 01:21:35 am
Thanks again for all the help everyone. I've been out of town the past day and haven't had the chance to mess with the bike. I'll try out all the suggestions and let you know what happens. Like Vince said, I probably flooded it by this point.

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:41 am
I forgot the mention that the dealer has e-mailed me / called all day trying to help get the bike running, so let's not push him under the bus for something we haven't even figured out yet.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:30:10 am

Well its got me ,--it should start straight up.

There is just one thing.

If this is a new bike then I hope that you have sacrificed a small fury animal withing the hours of darkness preferably  midnight in tradition with Hindu built machines.

You havnt been near any cows have you.

Yes --next door neighbours cat would be fine.

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

DireWolf

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:53:08 pm
Change your plug.

Wagers?  Anybody?  Plug = fouled.

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:37:31 pm
The fuel cutoff is not working. Fuel is dripping from the bottom of the carb and from the drain line.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 05:48:06 pm
The fuel cutoff is not working. Fuel is dripping from the bottom of the carb and from the drain line.

Okay, you have a float level issue, or a dirty needle/seat valve for fuel shutoff.
Turn the petcock off at the tank, and remove the carburetor.
Unscrew the  screws out of the float bowl, and remove it and clean it out.
Try not to wreck the gasket, unless you have a spare gasket.
Slip the axle out of the float assembly, and dump the movable piece out of the needle/seat valve, and check to see that the pointy end was "up", and that it looks clean and not worn.
Spray some carb cleaning up in there, and all around in the float bowl.
Put the float back on, and check to see it looks pretty level when you hold it upside down. If you have the workshop manual, check the float height according to the instructions.
Put it back together and install it on the bike, and see if that fixes it.

It basically works just like the float shutoff in the tank of your toilet.
Same principle.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:53:02 pm by ace.cafe »

retrorider

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:59 pm
The petcock is leaking. Then the carb is leaking.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:27:38 pm
    It is time for the dealer. This is more than start up procedure. Use your warranty.

halliganuser

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:52:24 pm
my dealer was AWESOME- he wanted to see the bike 2 times- @ 150 miles and 300 miles- he changed the head gasket  and then retorqued the head, and changed out the oil. It was part of the service fee, but it worked out to be the same as other dealers. He is an hobbyist, enthusiast and motorcycle gearhead. His 'dealership' is a shop. Fantastic- M&S cycles in Scotia/Glenville NY near Schenectady.

When I first got the bike I embarassed the crap out of myself trying to look cool but kick starting the bike with the side stand down. Once everyone laughed at me and left, I put the stand up and away I went.