Author Topic: High Output Coils?  (Read 3530 times)

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
on: October 03, 2007, 02:35:28 am
 ???
I am wondering if I can use one of those tiny high output coils (Nology?) instead of my standard Lucas coil, and if there would be any performance/reliability gain?  I'm trying to hide as much of my electrics as possible.  I'm still clinging to the points for now.
THANKS!
geichal

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:44 pm
The primary resistance must be correct. I don't know what it is, but I saw it in one of my manuals. More voltage to the plug means more current draw. Points won't last as long. 
I removed the Boyer B that came with my early 99 bullet, and replaced the points. I like the reliability. Moroso or Accell have a chart of their coils primary resistance I think it was in the Summit Racing catalog
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:52:13 pm
???
I am wondering if I can use one of those tiny high output coils (Nology?) instead of my standard Lucas coil, and if there would be any performance/reliability gain?  I'm trying to hide as much of my electrics as possible.  I'm still clinging to the points for now.
THANKS!
geichal

Specs do have to match up. The coil needs to be compatible with a points system.

After many years and the the electronic ignitions failed on our Urals, many of us chose the less expensive route and converted back to points ignitions. (This was not difficult because the design was basically unchanged and it was a bolt-on affair with minor rewiring). When we chose to retain the coil that was designed for the electronic ignition we had to add a ballast resistor into the circuit. The ballast resistor used was a common late-60's or early-70's automotive unit available at most automotive stores. This was needed (as previously posted) to keep the points from burning up.

If you go this route, I have notes on my experience that you're welcome to review. Also, there's info on the Web. I found some BMW articles about it, as well as automotive.

You might post the question to the Hitchcock's bulletin board where it's likely you could get some very specific recommendations for compatible higher output coils.

Matt

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 01:59:04 pm
Thanks for all the info, I'm thinking that I'll order the Bosch coil from CMW as I am wanting to keep the points.
Geichal