Author Topic: Bad day got worse...  (Read 7137 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
on: September 12, 2007, 02:19:50 am
What started this morning as a quick trip to town to cash a check and a bite to eat turned into a disaster. After finishing my errands and just pulling out of town on the highway I feel the back end get kinda squirrelly on me... 
CRAP!  Flat Tire Luckily I'm just across from a gas station and pull in. Valve stem tore loose...  I didn't think my pressure was that low but it was down in the 50's...   an hour later I'm able to get hold of my son to come pick me up. After meeting my wife for lunch; I stopped off and bought 2 tubes at a local shop;  took him home and hooked up the trailer to pick up the bike.  Just as I'm pulling out of the station with the trailer loaded I look in my mirror in time to see the bike FALL OVER on the trailer!!
Double CRAP!!  Through my own carelessness one of the straps came off.                                   
                                                  TANK DENTED!!
I was amazed that I was able to right the bike myself...
once home I proceeded to remove the back wheel - QD model. That was the first time in five years and it was a breeze. changed tube and all is good... cept my tank!!
I go in and have supper then out for a ride to blow off some steam...  I'm running bout 60 on a new patch of asphalt near home and I hear the tinkle- clank,clank
Triple CRAP!!   My fishtail exhaust tip is gone!!   couldn't find it!!
   Lessons learned
            -Always check your straps; even for short trips!
            - Plenty of soapy water makes a great lube and changing tubes easier!
            - Tall grass by a cornfield makes great habitat for Pheasant, Quail, and exhaust tips!

- Mike

[old attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:32:59 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:37:33 am
that always wants you to run wirds together and make up ne ones :o

I was having a bike towed to be worked on and the trasport company dumped it , wasn't pretty as the shop guy said..

I had a rear flat once, real squirrley.. had a patch kit though and a pump..  man those air pumps are small though ::)

sorry man.. I bet U have looked at your face a 1000 different ways in that dent.. doesn't even looks like the paint cracked
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:40:01 am by scotty »

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:51:53 am
I wonder if air pressure would blow that dent out.....just a thought.......dg

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:58:16 am
Mike,

Double bummer!

I guess this gives you an excuse to swap in the different style gas tank that you've been lusting after, but never seriously considered because you couldn't justify the expense!

Matt

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:24:05 pm
that is a pretty big dent. We have had some luck with those paintless dent repair guys that you see around. Maybe worth a consutation. We had a dealer try the compressed air method on an Alloy tank and blew the seams out. True it was alloy and is softer, but "blower beware".
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 01:55:43 am
that is a pretty big dent. We have had some luck with those paintless dent repair guys that you see around. Maybe worth a consutation. We had a dealer try the compressed air method on an Alloy tank and blew the seams out. True it was alloy and is softer, but "blower beware".

I"m thinking I need to call you and find out a little more about those tanks you have in the
Garage sale....
                                   - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 06:35:48 pm
Our garage sale tanks are a tremendous deal. 95% of them have only small blemishes. We just don't have the nerve to sell them as full price replacements. Many people would not even notice the problem. I am always aurprised at how fast they sell when we put them up. True they are dirt cheap, but who knew people needed so many tanks. It is strictly first come first served. If you don't see what you want, call us as we always have new ones.
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/store-clearance-overstock-parts-c-1_13.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:34:49 pm
What he said. I got a tank from the garage sale for $45 because I want one with a screw cap, not the flip cap, and plan on repainting it. surprise! it's got a few minor scratches but looks great! (it's green, by the way).
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:18:50 am
What he said. I got a tank from the garage sale for $45 because I want one with a screw cap, not the flip cap, and plan on repainting it. surprise! it's got a few minor scratches but looks great! (it's green, by the way).

I got around to calling CMW yesterday...  stock tanks were GONE!!
 I think you got my tank...  serves me right fer think'n about it for to long...
settled for one of the handmade offerings, gonna paint it and LIFE WILL BE GOOD!!
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 02:22:51 am
I learned long ago, that if you want something, go for it now, because tomorrow it will be in someone else's possession. If you want something, don't go look when you can't buy, because it will be gone, when you can.  life is just like that.. sucks sometimes.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:55:38 am
I've read this thread w/interest. Learned some lessons that I'm glad I didn't have to experience first hand. Speed makes waste, also dented tanks etc. I've also had the concept of if you need it, get it now, reinforced. Too many times good deals have gone by the wayside only to be non-existent when I thought I could afford it.

All this is said to say....Thanks for lessons learned!
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 03:26:58 am
I've read this thread w/interest. Learned some lessons that I'm glad I didn't have to experience first hand. Speed makes waste, also dented tanks etc. I've also had the concept of if you need it, get it now, reinforced. Too many times good deals have gone by the wayside only to be non-existent when I thought I could afford it. All this is said to say....
Thanks for lessons learned!

You have learned well;  Grasshopper...       
    - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 03:42:48 am

I got around to calling CMW yesterday...  stock tanks were GONE!!
 I think you got my tank...  serves me right fer think'n about it for to long...
settled for one of the handmade offerings, gonna paint it and LIFE WILL BE GOOD!!
- Mike

maybe we should trade? Mine's nearly perfect, a few very small scuffs, and I will re-paint anyway.

PM me.

<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 02:43:28 am
Blowing a dent out of a gas tank is kinda fun.   Heck, you ain't gonna live forever................