Author Topic: UCE Training and a thanks to Kevin and all involved  (Read 5330 times)

whitey

• Scooter
on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:17 pm
We arrived home early yesterday from our trip to New Jersey to attend a training course on the UCE engine and fuel injection system.

We would like to thank Kevin and CMW for arranging the course, Leon from Cycle Icons for being a wonderful host and especially the three esteemed gentlemen that travelled all the way from India to conduct the training.

After seeing the engine first hand and examining it in detail along with the fuel injection unit I have to say Im really impressed and excited about the new bikes.

Royal Enfield have worked extremley hard on this and I cant wait to get my hands on one.

On the way home we took a detour and collected 4 new AVL models . So Im going to be riding my new classic ......until we get a the UCE models in.... ;D

Paul From Holopaw

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:56:50 pm
Brother Paul, as others colleagues will do, I thank you for the additional UCE good news!  We, the RE enthusiasts continue to get affirmations of the quality of the C5, G5 and their UCE motor!  WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:40:01 pm
We also are completing the training here at the CMW HQ .... and wowza is the WORD! I have been contributing a bit of my experience to the training that the engineers from India, Hari and Sarv have been doling out. These guys are knowledgeable, hard working and flat DEDICATED to the Royal Enfield bikes that we know and love. They have been fielding questions here from our dealers that would make a NASA engineer throw up his hands and give up - and they have the answer for everything! My hat's off to these guys on every count - they are simply gREat fellows!!

The new engine is better than fantastic as well - we dismantled the "old test mule" engine and found out that despite rude punishment on two continents and some of MY shenanigans as well - that there was virtually NO detectable wear in it - anywhere! It has an accumulation of little crud in the bottom and the oil smelled as if it HAD been run hard and put up wet - but when all was inspected and wiped off - perfection .... Our fellows from India could assemble that engine in their sleep as well .... they know it inside, outside and all in between. There is not one aspect of the design that hasn't been thought about - and thought about again ... it's SO incredibly clever - yet SO still incredibly Enfield .... I'm more than impressed with it .... Gotta make a space in the garage!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:34:51 am
thanks for the feedback guys- its great to hear it "from the horses mouth" as they say! I guess the engine will not be as easy to work on for the home tinkerer! But it sounds like there will be a lot less interaction required-  sounds like a winner all round
Cheers
Nick

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:48:33 pm
Fear the new engine not!! It is simpler in every aspect than the previous engines! Due to  the incredibly accurate machine work and clever design of the UCE, shimming things for end play are a thing of the past. Also gone are all the "easy to lose" woodruff keys that were on every gear of every shaft. The new crank has the gear teeth and outputs built right in. Also - the assembly is quite modular .... that helps a bit in that you don't have to dismantle down to the molecule to GET to everything .... the worst part are the lifter pins .... but I'd buy pint or so for the first fellow in the next year that has to service the lifters because they went bad! As I said - the test mule bike had some HARD miles thrashed onto it - and there was no appreciable wear on anything .... and it went right back together with only a little gasket sealer and ran just dandy. I don't think anyone will be "tinkering" on these engines unless they just WANT to .... I'm still, after ruminating over the UCE hard for a few days, very impressed ...... !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:14:10 pm
This is all very good to hear!

And, truthfully, as this is a new engine design, and isn't  hindered by 60 year old designs and production, it should be good. There's no reason for it not to be good.

In fact, it HAS to be good, and basically be as good as anything from any modern competitors, for it to survive.

There's no more "crutch" of "antiquity" to lean on. That's gone.
So it has to stand as a modern engine, and those are the standards by which it will be judged.

By the sound of the initial reports, it would appear that they might actually have done it.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.
I like the fact that they have moved into the modern category, and are keeping the marque alive, with a "retro" type product that can appeal more to today's general public's needs. That was important for the company's survival.
I'm a little "misty-eyed" that the old Bullet is no longer going to be with us, because that was the last real remaining link to the heritage of the glory days of British motorcycling.
I sincerely hope that the factory provides good quantity and quality of parts for the older Bullets for many years to come. The old Bullet industry is a niche market unto itself, and needs to be properly serviced to keep the classics alive.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:24:30 pm
First off I want to thank Kevin, Scooter Bob,Viki,Sarv, Harry & all the staff at Classic Motorworks for putting on an excellent Class on the UCE.
I'm fully with Ace on every point he brought up on the new bike being a Luddite myself and resistant to change.
The change that REM went through with this new bike was a change that the world forced them into and I think that they did a really good job of executing it.
The enthusiasm exhibited by the very guys that designed and built this motor was worth the trip all by itself.
The chance to tear the very motor apart that I had the opportunity to thrash (I mean test) was great for me. And Scooter Bob was right, there was no wear visible in the motor what so ever.
I think that the worst thing about the new motor for folks like me is going to get past the part of owner involvement with the bike. This is going to truly be a push the button and go bike. Adjust the chain, check the tires and change the oil. Aside from that there is nothing to be done.

One thing I remarked about my test ride last fall was I didn't know if the bike had so much more power but I thought it had a bunch more torque.
There are a couple of dyno charts in the book confirming my initial feelings.
Both the Iron and AVL motor start out the highest they get (about 3000 RPM) and drop off steadily after that.
The UCE starts out a bit more than both of the older motors and climbs steadily up to it's peak around about 4500 RPM and at 5500 it's still higher than the Iron motors peak.

Maybe Scooter Bob could post both of the dyno charts?

Yea, I still stand behind my inital impression of this bike,
It sounds like a Bullet, Feels like a bullet and I think REM nailed it. The day my kid graduates from college I will own one.

For those of you that have been waiting for this bike I think you'll find it's been worth the wait.

For you "purists" this is the last year of the carburetor and drum brake so get em now while you can.

No, my cherry 99 is not for sale and never will be!
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:23:29 pm
This is all very good to hear!

And, truthfully, as this is a new engine design, and isn't  hindered by 60 year old designs and production, it should be good. There's no reason for it not to be good.

In fact, it HAS to be good, and basically be as good as anything from any modern competitors, for it to survive.

There's no more "crutch" of "antiquity" to lean on. That's gone.
So it has to stand as a modern engine, and those are the standards by which it will be judged.

By the sound of the initial reports, it would appear that they might actually have done it.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.
I like the fact that they have moved into the modern category, and are keeping the marque alive, with a "retro" type product that can appeal more to today's general public's needs. That was important for the company's survival.
I'm a little "misty-eyed" that the old Bullet is no longer going to be with us, because that was the last real remaining link to the heritage of the glory days of British motorcycling.
I sincerely hope that the factory provides good quantity and quality of parts for the older Bullets for many years to come. The old Bullet industry is a niche market unto itself, and needs to be properly serviced to keep the classics alive.

ACE - You know I'm right here with you on all counts - especially the "misty eyed" part of seeing the old pig iron go ..... so much that I snatched up a couple of 'em before they "all got gone". That being said - you are SO right about the "crutch of antiquity" - I could not have turned that phrase better myself. It was always the reason (excuse?) that we purists never really got upset with the rod hanging out of the front of the engine case. It was just an Enfield thing - and to US - not a big deal. Now, to your AVERAGE motorcyclist any more - it would have been a disaster of epic proportion - remember that a LOT of these new doods won't even put air in their own tires! The new UCE bike will open up "vintage" motorcycling to a lot folks who would, I think, enjoy it - even if they are not "true gearheads" like some of us. This will be essential to the survival of Enfield in the face of ever changing standards.

BTW - Our esteemed parts man "Chicago Tim" and Viki were working hard on the availability of pig iron parts for all of us - with me whining and interjecting at every turn to add MORE to the list! My suggestion here would be to email Classic Motorworks with what you think you'll need for maintenance, so CT will have a better idea (other than me wanting a hundred of every part - hahaha!!) of what you guys will have to have to keep 'em running from now until doomsday. Keep in mind that there are a kabillion iron barrel bikes in India - and the factory won't let all of these loyal fellows down. I have high hopes for the long future run of the UCE and for the future running of all the "old stuff". REM really cares about every bike they ever built, I think .... and that is what makes them a really gREat company!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 04:55:17 pm
Okay, Scoot, I now baptize you the Good News Man; and, it doesn't hurt that you have a Good (sense of) Humor Man!!!  (I know, I know, it's a corny joke... but, c'mon, it's original material, Brother!!!)   ;D

Papa Juan

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:40 am
 ;D Thanks for the kudo, Cabo! I've really tried to be objective about the new bike for all concerned - but I must say that a little excitement is creeping in there for ME, anyway. I think I thoroughly understand the "common Enfield nutcase" - I am SURELY one of 'em. I'd love the little bikes even if they got oil all over my new blue suede shoes - or threw a part off in the driveway as protest for not enough "love applied". That's the Enfield-ness that most of us appreciate. We also appreciate that the darn things will almost ALWAYS get you home again with a little duct tape, bailing wire and careful riding even IF it "breaks". The new bike seems like it will offer a lot more to the rider in that you won't HAVE to fuss and dote over it - although I'm sure a little doting and fussing will make one feel better ... heeheehee!! This may truly BE the Enfield for the modern man ....

As far as the sense of humour goes, tho - that's just a "me" thing .... I'm like Brian of Nazareth - always look on the bright side of life ...... !!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:53:58 am
"As far as the sense of humour goes, tho - that's just a "me" thing .... I'm like Brian of Nazareth - always look on the bright side of life ...... !!"  ScooterBob

Amen, Scoot.  And, I am right there with you on the "bright side of life" point.  I am an optimist by nature; 62 years on God's earth have turned me into a possiblist (sic), as in everything is possible; and, although my spinal chord shrinks as I age, my enthusiasm for a worthy cause keeps growing by leaps and bounds!

Papa Juan