Author Topic: Petcock  (Read 1513 times)

bobg

• Scooter
on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:40 am
The petcock (petrol tap) on my 08' AVL will not shut the fuel off. It initially worked till about 100 mi. Any ideas or should I just replace it?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:41:02 pm
The petcocks aren't that expensive. I would just replace it unless your just into fixing little things.  :)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:51:21 pm
If you are under warranty call your dealer,  I had one mailed to me under warranty as mine was defective, otherwise they are pretty inexpensive here or on Ebay.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:29:43 am
If you decide to strip it down and fix it, it really isn't that hard.

The problem is most likely crap in the tank (don't ask how often you need to do that!)

1. remove the pipe from the carb and drain all of the petrol from the tank
2. unscrew the petcock from the tank taking care to have a bowl to catch the last 1/2 pt when you unscrew it.
3. Put the petcock on the bench and disassemble it. Watch out for the spring that will make a bid for freedom.
clean out any crud and check the operation.
Reassemble - you might want to use a little p.t.f.e. plumber's tape on the thread of the petcock into the tank.

Easy maintenance that will let you learn as you go. The worst thing that can happen is that you arse it up and have to buy a new one.

Or you set fire to your bike!

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

bobg

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:35 pm
If you decide to strip it down and fix it, it really isn't that hard.

The problem is most likely crap in the tank (don't ask how often you need to do that!)

1. remove the pipe from the carb and drain all of the petrol from the tank
2. unscrew the petcock from the tank taking care to have a bowl to catch the last 1/2 pt when you unscrew it.
3. Put the petcock on the bench and disassemble it. Watch out for the spring that will make a bid for freedom.
clean out any crud and check the operation.
Reassemble - you might want to use a little p.t.f.e. plumber's tape on the thread of the petcock into the tank.

Easy maintenance that will let you learn as you go. The worst thing that can happen is that you arse it up and have to buy a new one.

Or you set fire to your bike!

REgards

TT
Thanks Tim, I mentioned it to my dealer (L&L Classic Cycle Hubbard, OH) a while back and he said it wouldn't be a problem to replace as he had one in stock. I just thought that I have some time now before my next visit to him that I might try give it a quick fix myself. Thanks for the info Tim ;)