Author Topic: Heat issues- running lean?  (Read 1996 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 12, 2009, 05:51:49 pm
At the 500 miles service, I noticed the exhaust rocker tip was dark.  At 1000 miles, my header is super blue, and there's zero carbon (soot) in my muffler.
I have the free(er) flowing muffler and allegedly the dealer re-jetted the carb. 
Spark plug is a tawny tan colour.

Am I running a little lean?
Run what ya brung

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:08:50 pm
At the 500 miles service, I noticed the exhaust rocker tip was dark.  At 1000 miles, my header is super blue, and there's zero carbon (soot) in my muffler.
I have the free(er) flowing muffler and allegedly the dealer re-jetted the carb. 
Spark plug is a tawny tan colour.

Am I running a little lean?

Well with the good color on the plug if it were me I would assume it's OK unless there were also performance indications like: backfiring, full throttle dogging, heat and heat smell, and even blistering on the plug.

I would do what you're doing and keep an eye on things.

Matt

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:01:16 pm
It's running great.  I had it up to 60mph once while on a long down-hill, and it acted like a puppy off the leash.  Mostly I'm still keeping it between 45 and 55 until I get still more miles. 
Somebody (you?) menmtioned AVL engines running hot, I was somewhat concerned about the header color, so thought I'd check in.
Run what ya brung

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:01:48 pm
It's running great.  I had it up to 60mph once while on a long down-hill, and it acted like a puppy off the leash.  Mostly I'm still keeping it between 45 and 55 until I get still more miles. 
Somebody (you?) menmtioned AVL engines running hot, I was somewhat concerned about the header color, so thought I'd check in.

Good news! Yes, the AVL ('lean-burn') does run hot - but the critical thing is that it's designed to do so. That makes all the difference. If you operate within those design specifications all should be ok (that's one of my golden rules).

Matt

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:13:52 pm
My AVL runs cool ???
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)