Author Topic: How to reinstall front wheel bearings  (Read 1177 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
on: February 08, 2009, 03:51:28 pm
I have created a new opportunity for learning for myself. Many of my opportunities for learning start when I have an impact wrench in my hand.

I was cleaning up and adjusting my brakes, when I overtightened the nut on the brake side (small impact wrench). The wheel stopped rolling, so removed the speedo assy and I tapped the other side with a small sledge. From there, a series of stupid moves has led me to having both bearings almost out. They are still in, but at the outer perimeter of the hub.

How can I (with no machine shop) reset the bearings to their correct positions? I have read the snidal manual and there is not much there, the factory manual is better in this case, but I do not have their special tool.

Thank you in advance for any help. It is a nice day and I hate having the bike stuck.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:37:44 pm
Sorry to waste your time. It was easy to find a flat washer and 4" piece of 3/4" plumbing pipe. No machine shop needed. Just more coffee needed. Worked well. Now I just need to figure out why the wheel still wont spin freely.

Thanks,
-Rick

I completely fried my VW beetle once in the back woods of Wisconsin due to the same lack of coffee, and early morning work. I need to keep an eye on that and impact wrenches.
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'02 BMW R1150R

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:40 am
It turns out I had the speedo assy not lined up with the grooves when I put it together and it didn't turn smoothly. It seems fine now. Rode great yesterday. Thanks for the answer. I will keep an eye on it.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'02 BMW R1150R