Author Topic: baffeled by moped electrics  (Read 5367 times)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
on: February 05, 2009, 09:53:27 pm
i have this old 1978 puch moped that has been sitting around here with a broken throttle cable.  well i found 1977moped company on line and ordered a cable. so today i pulled it out and was glad that it was not frozen up. but it had no spark. so my son and i started tinkering and disconnected the kill switch and found that if we rubbed the wires together we got spark . however...if we connect the wires we get no spark and if we disconnect the wires we get no spark ONLY if we rub them  together (while cranking the pedals) do we get spark. could this be a bad condenser? further complications.  while cranking the horn and lights sound and burn .so we disconnected them . lo and behold the horn only stops when we connect the kill switch wires.( or stop cranking) unit has no battery. any ideas?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 10:18:30 pm
I'll go out on a limb. Sounds like something is not grounded, ( yeah, thanks mister). The horn should work only when you make a connection to ground. The electronics should be similar to RE with no battery.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

grumpyed

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:36:35 pm
check to see that the tail light is not burned out and that its circuit is functional

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:01 pm
both tail lights and headlight work. when it gets warm enough i'll check the condenser..how do i do that? anyone.
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:38 pm
Invasion of the rodents ?? mice love pvc
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:39 am
both tail lights and headlight work. when it gets warm enough i'll check the condenser..how do i do that? anyone.
Bob-   not sure how to test condenser itself...   I DO KNOW that a small spark at the points on open is good and Large blue spark (and excessive pitting of the points)
 is an indicator that the condenser has failed and needs changed.
         are you ready for spring?? - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:59 pm
mike  yah i'm waiting for spring. or  even a warm spell to grind down the spigot on the enfield to get it to stop weeping oil from the head gasket. if,.. no when i fix this annoying weep iplan on going to the minn.  rally and rally on the river  on the enfield. and a few other events. i suppose its warm enough in central Ill. to get in a few rides now. but up here its still ice.ice ice.
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:06:29 am
Well, you heard it here first.
Bob is coming to both of Mid-Americas premier rally's.
Now we got to work on a commitment from Mike and Leonard.
I talked to Slam a couple of weeks ago and offered to pay the difference between the DietLight beer and some real beer.
His wife Mary has been working on him to find a new location for the rally. I urged him not to change it feeling that Skip's place is the perfect place for something like that and adds to the charisma of the whole thing.
If any of you feel the same send him a e-mail.
If you don't feel the same don't send him anything :)
Looking forward to it,
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:09 pm
Well, you heard it here first. Bob is coming to both of Mid-Americas premier rally's.
Now we got to work on a commitment from Mike and Leonard.
I talked to Slam a couple of weeks ago and offered to pay the difference between the dietLight beer and some real beer. His wife Mary has been working on him to find a new location for the rally. I urged him not to change it feeling that Skip's place is the perfect place for something like that and adds to the charisma of the whole thing.
If any of you feel the same send him a e-mail.
If you don't feel the same don't send him anything :)
Looking forward to it,
CJ

***  Commitment or should be committed??   ***
Chris, you should know that peer pressure will not work on me. If it did I sure as hell wouldn't be riding a ROYAL ENFIELD!!   Ok, what is the date for the Minn. rally?
My wife has already laid claim to 2 of my weeks this summer for a
"Family Roadtrip".  Gives me visions of Clark Griswald...
 I'm  so  screwed...
working retail means I get to work almost every week end, oh well, it's a job. I'll be at the Rally on the River for sure!!  What is Slams' wife thinking?? Not close enuff to the MALL?? I really hope he can get that under control...  then again, there is that large open field right behind his shop. We could set up a nice bar inside and wrench all nite!! yea, access to tools and parts, what do ya think?? As far as that beer.... I'll share the expense with you!!
   I watch these regularly to keep the right frame of mind- Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRuLZaAUERU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT8Y53lULP0

'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:53:21 pm
The date for the Minnesota rally has not been set as of yet. Was the end of June last year. Jane at CMW said she was working on it.
The Missouri one is the last weekend in Sept.

I didn't think that peer pressure would do anything just throwing out some bait that's all.
I'm starting to know what you mean about working weekends now that I've started my second career.

How was your Tropical Vacation?
Was it above freezing? It's been so long since I even wanted to go outside I can't remember what a bike ride would be like.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:48:40 pm
mike you could trailor your bike here, spend the night and we could ride to the minn. rally from here.its only about 80miles. sound good? my wife will probably take the car and could carry any camping..or other stuff. bob
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:34:52 am
I didn't think that peer pressure would do anything just throwing out some bait that's all. I'm starting to know what you mean about working weekends now that I've started my second career.
How was your Tropical Vacation?
Was it above freezing? It's been so long since I even wanted to go outside I can't remember what a bike ride would be like.
CJ
Above freezing?  Hale yes!! There is nuthing like the Gulf coast in February to brake the winter doldrums of the midwest; cept maybe Key West but that is a whole different party!!    It was 80 every day; lots of spf 30...    I would love to have a bike down there but there are too many little ole ladies with blue hair wearing the big green cataract surgeory sunglasses  peering out between the steering wheel and dashboard for me. Do  you know that the #1 export out of south Florida on the comercial airlines is??

DEAD BODIES!!    Blue hairs go down there to die.... 
   yea, it was a great week- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 05:51:59 am
mike you could trailor your bike here, spend the night and we could ride to the minn. rally from here.its only about 80miles. sound good? my wife will probably take the car and could carry any camping..or other stuff. bob
Thanx for the offer Bob. To tell you the truth it's going to be a bitch for me to make it..
I'll mark my calendar but...
in April I'm taking a weekend off for this...
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/
then mid May I'm going to try to meet up with some mates for a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Late July or early August my wife tells me that we will be taking a 2 week vacation...   then there is the Rally on the River the last week end of September...   now for the reality check: being a supervisor in retail means that the upper management thinks that you should work EVERY WEEK END!!  They don't realize that I've trained my people so well that they can get along just fine without me...

should I tell them??  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

OleO

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 12:33:29 pm
Put me on the list if the spot where I last pitched my tent is still open, Bob.
I find cows in a pasture quite relaxing. And the stars!

As soon as a date is set for the MN rally, I'll block-out some time at
work.

I just checked out the Moonshine Lunch Run web page. Looks like
more eatin' than ridin'!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:00:33 am by OleO »
'06, Iron Barrel Military...rode 'er like
she was meant to be rid. Hope to, again.