Author Topic: pictures info on woodsman 1956  (Read 5735 times)

actriumph

• Scooter
on: February 05, 2009, 07:50:11 pm
Project winding down to end , AS USUAL WIRING LEFT FOR LAST! tHIS IS MY WEAK POINT, AMONG OTHERS.  HAVE 56 WOODSMAN BUT NEED DETAILED INFO ON SUCH THINGS AS REGULATOR  LOCATION ON FRAME? ANYONE HAVE 50'S WOODSMAN?
HAVE LONG ASSOCIATION WITH TRIUMPH , BSA MATCHLESS BUT ENFIELD BOOKS
ARE TERRIBLE AND FAR BETWEEN.  THANK YOU     AL

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:13:37 pm
Most of my experience is on the RE Indian Trailblazer, Apache, & Tomahawk twins but I thing they used the same Lucas selinium rectifier mounted to a frame clamp under the front of the fuel tank. The way the alternator is would and connected through the light switch, it will only put out approximately 6 volts. There was no need for a regulator with this system. Magneto ignition models didn't even have a key switch, just a kill switch.

Try THis Web-site for Lucas diagrams
www.bolsover.com

Try Hitchcock's in the UK for parts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:16:25 pm by rotorwrench »

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:10 pm
I went back and checked an old Indian Rider's Manual that I have and I had forgotten that the 55 thru 57 Woodsman used the Lucas Magdyno. All of the pictures (or drawings at best) show a control box mounted to what appears to be a battery mounting frame just under the seat on the right side but as you say the information is sparse and poor quality. The 57 was diferent since it used the later style frame. Your 56 would have been the last to use the 55 style frame that the India Enfields were made with for so many years.

actriumph

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:00 pm
thank you for the info,I am trying to decipher the quick detach headlight. Near steering head under tank are brkts holding connectors to remove comp headlight. I have male
connection with cord, no female or brkts, picture on aussie owner websight is very good.Look under Indian woodsman, go-ogle it  Al

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:51:20 pm
If you are refering to Phil on RE-Indian.com, I've done some business with him on several occasions. I know he has a 58 Woodsman.

Those Lucas quick disconnect plugs are getting harder to find in good condition these days. I 'm surprised someone doesn't replicate them. The prices I've seen people bid them up to on E-pay are too high for me. The Apache model had this option too so it could be taken off for racing purposes. If you are going for originality and you are on a budget, you might try to cast them yourself out of some of the liquid rubber products that are currently available at specialty supply type companies.

I noticed that Hitchcock's sells a solid state voltage controler for the old bikes that use the E3LM type generators/magdyno set up. There is also an aftermarket replacement for the magdyno. I think is uses the alternator principle instead of the generator but havn't really looked at them that close yet.