Author Topic: Buying Royal Enfield worries and doubts  (Read 7109 times)

fdx

• Bulleteer
on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:55 pm
Hello
I'm thinking to buy Royal Enfield Bullet.

As I don't have much money to spend I'm looking for "the one" occasion, I'm living in Ireland so I have to looking for bike from UK as in Ireland they are very rare.
I need a bike to drive everyday to and from work (ab 40km each way).

Now I have to chose betwean:
New 2008 Bullet Classic 350 never used  - about 3000 euro
used Bullet classic 500 with 4500 miles march 2008 reg. - same prise
Used Bullet Classic 500 with 17500 miles 2003 reg - ab 1700 euro

First is new and never used with 1 year warranty but someone told me that 350 has no power and its only for slowing drive on motorshows...
Second its OK 500 have enough power. price is the same as brand new one.
Last one is cheaper but I'm worry about milage it has,  is 17000 miles sounds very bad? Because is cheaper I could buy luggage rack ang bags that I need. But I'm worry that I'll have to spend money to fix it soon.
My budget is 3000 euro  (I'll have to loan from bank and payed for 3 years...)  so I cant afford any more costs.

Maby someone more experienced in that brand can advise me. Maby I don't have to worry that much.

When I first placed my eyes on Royal Enfield I totally fall in love and I would like to have nothing else than this one. new 2009 models or even new 500ccm 2008 models are much too expensive for me. But on the other hand I don't have a money to buy older bike and then spend even more money to fix it...

Gratefull for any advise and help with my choice.

(if some one would like to send me some money or motorbike itself just ask me for details. ;-)

I have Bullet in my head...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:50:05 pm
Difficult to answer. Oh  Welcome FDX

My thoughts: Any of the RE ,s you describe could be enjoyable. Evey RE requires a certain amount of hands on ( maintenance,not bad) that will cost a little more money( not much.)
However  it might be a better idea to save more money an look at next years models .
In my experience no machine is fun if you are tight on money, wondering if you can make though week if something breaks. I would be inclind to wait longer.
Thanks  for asking.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

fdx

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:34 pm
The thing is I cant. My car just got broken (I wonnet to sell it anyway and buy a motorbike) but now I cant as fixing costs are higher that car itself.

So I have to buy it no later that next week. I'm using my wife's Nissan Micra now but she cant stay without a car any longer. (we are living in small village so car is needed to get anywhere).

I cant also buy 2009 models as now I have to loan money for a bike (and I would rather payed monthly for 2 than for 5 years...)

Without lotto win or some other unexpected source of money I cant afford any more than I wrote about. Maybe some of You guys can buy me 2009 model? I'll be gratefull to my death. :-)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:17:13 pm
I agree with REpozer that ANY Enfield is an enjoyable bike. Personally, I'm LOOKING for a 3500cc bike (in the USA they are getting a bit rare ....) and would dive on the opportunity to get a NEW one if it were available here. A-a-a-a-ah, someday ....

Back to YOUR problem, tho .... IF you are a bit handy, I'd consider the used 500cc one. I say this because the price is right - and on a bike that HAS made it for over 10K miles - I'm guessing that it's well sorted out and running just fine. My experience with these bikes is that the 10K mark will tell all, pretty much. If the bike is set up right form the dealer and the new owner takes the initiative NOT to burn it to the ground during break-in - then it will run along FOREVER! I'd have a good and trusted repair operation check it out before you plunk down those hard-to-come-by Pounds, tho.

There IS a good incentive to waiting until a new UCE bike comes up for grabs ... These are the most technologically advanced bikes that Enfield has EVER made - and they are VERY user friendly from a maintenance point of view. I don't see them being inexpensive for a while, tho - everyone seems to want to hang onto them and that the value of a gently used one up a bit. A fellow COULD get the "high mile" one and ride it until the UCE bike that you like comes up for sale and make the deal from there. I'm guessing that a well-maintained, good running Enfield bike should hold its value in the UK despite the miles on it. After all - YOU guys INVENTED happy motorcycling! Best of luck - let us know what you decide. We'd ALL like to have you riding and smiling on an Enfield!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:26:58 pm
Whats broken on the car?
Many times it is better to fix your current car, then to replace. I drive a Ford that technically  worth less that the cost of 4 tires. However I can not replace the car with a dependable car for the same money.
Again my thoughts, I enjoy my RE but I don't like the thought of someone tight on money causing possible stress on the family with a MC payment .

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:44:08 pm
     Get the new 350cc. The difference in performance is minor. You will get a warranty. You must perform the break-in, but you know it will be done according to the book because you WILL read the book. These were originally designed as a 350. The 500 is actually less forgiving because of the added stresses of the larger piston and extra (only 4!) more horse power. The 350 will be ideal on roads where the average speeds are about 50mph/80kph.
     Don't believe what "someone" told you. The only place the horsepower difference would be noticeable is is sidecar use. These are quite usable units.
     Anyone on this forum would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I have some useful general info on my web site: www.vincesmotorcyclestore.com

LJRead

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 05:59:00 pm
Yeah, I agree with Vince - he is a dealer and knows his stuff.  I have a 350 and find it has more power than I need, though I don't drive fast.  350s are also more reliable.  If you get into repair costs on the 500 you will defeat your purpose.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:27:39 pm
If this is your first motorcycle, you should bring someone to look at the used bikes.
Add up all the costs of insurance, MOT (whatever that is over there...), taxes, are helmets required?  Rain gear?  Waterproof / warm gloves?  Does it need a new chain / sprockets?  New tires?  Blah blah blah...?  Do you have proper tools to work on it- even if it's just maintenance? 

Just being avuncular here, but might it be less scary to get a Honda 250 / 350 / CM400 (or something less expensive) and continue to squirrel away some more money?  Do you have squirrels over there?
Run what ya brung

deejay

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:18 pm
I agree with Vince get the 350.

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:33 pm
Rain gear?  Waterproof / warm gloves?

I was also going to mention gear. If you're going to get rid of your car and the bike will be your only transportation year round, you'll be doing lots of riding in cold/wet weather. You'll need the appropriate gear for that, which can get expensive if you want good quality stuff that works.

Just curious... Where in Ireland do you live?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:42:28 pm by Slider »
I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

fdx

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:19:41 pm
Thank you for all answers.

Befor using a car I drived on Piaggio 80 (75ccm)  all year round so I know whats the weather conditions may be. Now I live in countryside so I had to change scooter in to a car. Wasnt comfortable to drive on scooter 70 km every day.

Dont worry about gears and staff like that.

I'm also closer to 350ccm. That bike is simillar to polish bike called Junak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junak an icon in polish motor business. It has as well 350ccm and many people are driving on it. (even with sidecars).

Some years ago my hobby was to collect old bikes (bicycles)  from scrap and give them a second life. Maby its not the same as motorbike but that means I'm not scare of tools and I cant imagine a house without tool. I dont know how some people can live without even screwdriver or hammer somewhere in the house.

In Ireland Im living near Cork - in south Ireland.

Make a quick look on another great polish motorcycle legend "Sokol" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokol_1000 Made with Harley Davidson modified frame and Indian 1000ccm modified engine.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:39:14 am by fdx »

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:55 pm
"Yeah, I agree with Vince - he is a dealer and knows his stuff.  I have a 350 and find it has more power than I need, though I don't drive fast.  350s are also more reliable.  If you get into repair costs on the 500 you will defeat your purpose."  LJRead

"I agree with Vince get the 350."  Deejay

Ditto!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Flyfifer

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:26:00 pm
fdx, go for the 350 it's a much sweeter engine with a lot less vibes.

Oh and theres only one polish legend, Thomas Gollob and he rides a 500cc with no brakes.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:29:45 pm
I would have bought a 350 instead of my 500 had one been available.  I'm not disappointed in my 500, mind you, but the 350 would have done everything my riding style demands.  I understand why they quit importing them to the USA (people here tend to think "more is better" and they just didn't sell well here), but I would have bought one!

Eamon
Eamon

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:23 pm
As I said in the beginning .... I'D like to have a 350cc Enfield ... I'm really surprised at the OTHER folks that would as well! Now I want one even WORSE!! Hahahaha!! ::)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:26:14 pm

My dealer in Fairbanks made mention ( and proudly) that he owned a 350 RE.
I am sure it is his personal RE.

fdx

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 11:51:25 am
I decided to fix my car (I'll use used parts so it will be cheaper) and buy RE 500, the one for 1000 euro just for riding sometimes.

I would like to have a RE so much that I have to buy it anyway.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 03:37:52 pm
fdx - You sound like ME there!! Hahahaha!! When I GOTTA have it - I just gotta have it. Best of luck with the car and the bike! If all goes well, you'll always have SOMETHING to get you to work and back .... and maybe something to play with a little bit as well!

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 07:55:50 pm
I have a 500cc Classic (they don't make these any more, having stopped in 2008) and I love it.  Bought it new, and VERY CAREFULLY followed the breakin directions in the owner's manual (This is essential).  However, I really wish I had the 350cc (which haven't imported to us 'colonials' in the States for some time) as, although one might be able to get 70-75mph out of a 500cc like I have, and maybe 65-70mph top speed out of a 350cc, you never really want to flog an RE like that.  They run sweetly between 45-60mph, and the nice thing about the 350cc is that it gets more miles to the gallon (whether Brit or US) than does the 500cc.

If it were my choice, I'd go for the new 350cc with the year's warranty just in case something would need touching up or tweaking.  My experience with dealers over here is that they're great and give no trouble on a warranty item if needed.

Best of luck, and enjoy your RE whichever one you choose!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:47 pm
Hello, just one comment.  If you do decide on the  new 350 then journerl the break-in  period for resale purposes. this way the resale price will be much better and  the  new  owner wont have as much of a problem making his  choice. best of  luck  :)
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500