Author Topic: Nice day to ride.....  (Read 13303 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: September 08, 2007, 09:20:25 pm
Been feeling a little under the weather this week, until today. Left this morning after 10:00  going to a nearby town to see some friends and do a little riding. A couple of us rode to Carter Caves Ky which is a cave system used by the Indians before the settlers came to Ky. Even though the temps were in the 90's we enjoyed a spirited ride through the canyons and hills. With all the shade the heat was not even noticeable. We ate lunch at the caves and took a long winding route back to my friends town.  I then took the long way home. Not a very long ride (about 120 miles) but a good one. Hope the rest of you got some miles in today also......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:41 pm
Glad you are feeling better. Sounds like a great ride. I ended up spending the day shopping with my better half (I know, my better half is supposed to be my bike). May get out tomorrow.

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:39:46 pm
My Electra is at the dealer's shop for service and hopefully the installation of the Classic Kit I have been waiting on for so long.  I miss my bike.  I miss riding it and I miss just seeing it on its centerstand parked in its rightful place at my back door.  Its a beautiful bike and I love just looking at it parked with flowers nearby and the river in the background.  Pretty picture.

So, no riding for me this weekend.  Watched my grandson play 2 baseball games on Sat. and 2 more on Sunday afternoon.  His team won the championship and received a trophy and he got one presented to him as the MVP on his team about 5' high.  Of course I was proud.  Found time to do a little yard work including mowing the front yard.  This makes my wife happy as can be.  She has no use for motorcycles but she loves to see me doing something productive around the house.  Sat. I took a couple of hours late in the afternoon to take my twin grandaughters catfishing on the river.  Cleaned 6 nice cats from 2lbs to 5lbs and stored in the freezer.  Six year old girls sure giggle a lot.  Lets see now, even went to church for preaching Sun. morning.  The preacher preached on loving your spouses and spending quality time together.  My dear spouse pinched me to make sure I was listening.
Anyways, it was a good weekend.  JUST NO RIDING.
Terry

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:02:30 am
I should have stayed home Sunday like you did TRider. My wife probably would have liked the company, but after reading Dew's post, I couldn't help it. I spent a couple hours thumping along deserted roads in the Blackwater State Forest in the Florida Panhandle.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:48 am
I would love to go ride the Bullet.. but I need to be able to bend my ankle to get down and work on it - timing needs doing, so it don't break my other ankle..  I rode the Ural instead - great fun, but not the same.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

prof_stack

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:10:15 am
Here's my ride report from Sunday.  A BEAUTIFUL day in Seattle.

Since I don't yet ride a RE, my Buell XB9S will have to do.  I rode 111 miles total, first on Interstate 90 east out of town and then to some very nice quiet rural roads in-between small towns.  The '03 Buell, fresh from the repair shop, ran flawlessly as usual, and got over 55 mpg for the day.  But these kind of rides are almost better suited for a RE.  The 50 degree lean angle of the Buell is way more than I use.  Passing power is nice, though.

After 60 miles I started to tire, being out of shape for long rides since the 6/30 accident.  I headed home and buzzed Jon Appelgate's sweet looking Deluxe and wondered why he was not out riding.

Finally, at home I found a NAIL in the back tire.  Oh dang!  These 180/55/17 tires are not cheap, so now the Buell gets a new back tire on Tuesday. 

How much does a good RE tire set you guys back?  Gotta be a lot less...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:49 pm
We sell tyres for the Enfield that range from $45.95 to $115.95 take your pick here
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/store-tyres-suspension-c-1_5.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 12:28:14 am
Rode the Ural again today.. Oh for an electric start Bullet.. :)  Went about 90 miles through the Indiana country side, average speed about 45, chugging around the cornfields..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:20:57 am
    Last Saturday I left work 2-hours early,rode home and loaded up my wife's 2005 Honda Metro scooter and my Yamaha XT225 dual sport into my Toyota Tacoma pickup. We drove from our home in Puyallup, Wa north to Anacortes where we parked the car at the lot at the ferry dock. We unloaded the bikes and rode down and paid $42.00 for our trip to Orcas Island.We then cut to the front of the waiting line. This is a huge benefit for motorcyclists!!
    It was a beautiful ferry boat ride around the San Juan Islands to our stop at Orcas. We rode off the boat and up to our hotel at the Orcas Hotel, which is about 100 years old. We kicked back Saturday night and enjoyed the great view from our room and the deck.
    On Sunday we rode all over the island..The weather was flat fantastic too. Our favorite road there is probably Crow Valley Road-a meandering country road through beautiful farm land. We also rode to Moran State Park and rode up the steep grade to the top of Mount Constitution and climbed the rock tower to the top where there is a million dollar view of the islands,Mount Baker,and you can see Vancouver Island and way more.
    This is the second time we've done this on Orcas, and once on San Juan Island. We'll have to try Lopez Island sometime too.
    This ride would be perfect for an Enfiled Bullet. I was going to stop by the dealer in Burlington and called them but they only had one Bullet and it was sold. Since I have Sundays and Mondays off, and most dealers are closed those days, its about impossible for me to go check out the Enfields. Vinces is where I want to go, but-closed Sundays and Mondays.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:09:46 pm
    Last Saturday I left work 2-hours early,rode home and loaded up my wife's 2005 Honda Metro scooter and my Yamaha XT225 dual sport into my Toyota Tacoma pickup.

The GREAT Yamaha XT225 shows it's head once again.  This wonderful little tractor of a bike keeps popping up in different riders households quite often.  Why I don't have my beloved XT225 is another long story, but I do plan to have another one in my lifetime.  I used to ride all of the dirt and gravel roads and trails in these parts searching for Indian arrowheads. 
Just wanted to plug your bike.
Terry
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:16:03 pm by TRider »

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:52:47 pm
Well guys, it was another beautiful weekend here in KY. Sun was shining and temps in the 70s. My 35th high school reunion was Fri and Sat so I didn't get to ride . On Sunday the local chapter of Star Riders had their yearly cookout. We met at the local Yamaha shop and rode about 20 miles to the Greenup County Locks and Dam for our picnic. We all ate our fill and enjoyed the good company for several hours. Then we enjoyed the cool ride back home. Not many miles at all, and not on my RE, but I had a very enjoyable time. As an aside, a couple of my riding buddies went to Scooter Bobs' RE dealership the other day. He had a beautiful Deluxe on the floor in blue and chrome. One of my friends fell in love with it, I think he may take the leap and purchase it. If he does I'm sure the other friend will get one also. That will make 4 REs to ride with, almost enough to form a club.  Hope your weekend rides were enjoyable......tell us about them.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 03:35:23 pm
With the scarcity of the brand, I would imagine two Royal Enfields is enough to start a riding club.. same with Urals.. 
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA