Author Topic: Replacement exhaust, perfomance mods  (Read 9002 times)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
on: January 26, 2009, 12:03:48 am
I see that the upswept , shorter cilencer is supposed to be available for the C5.  Does this mean you would junk the catastrophic converter, gain some horses and a proper exuast note?
  I'm also wondering if there will be something more like the Classic "Shorty" available and if there will be any available air filter mods, to help her breath?
  It's been said that the motor was designed to put out around 40 horses, low to mid thirties would be really nice.
  In standard tune, with a claimed 82mph top speed, 70 mph cruising would seem to be perilously close to WOT.
  I'm still very tempted, even without a kickstart  >:(, but would really like a little more "pep".  I don't think I could live with the hideous torpedo of a standard silencer either, it's just plain UGLY.
  I'm also a firm believer that ultra quiet bikes are just unnecessarily dangerous.  Got to have the roar, or at least a healthy growl.
  So, can we expect some tweaking goodies available when the new bikes hit the showroom floors?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:31:39 am
The comments that have been floated so far are that the free-flow exhaust will be available, and Kevin has also stated that he's working with Power Commander to develop a unit for the Bullet.

I'd expect that between those 2 things, you should see low-to-mid 30's for power out of the UCE.

Add a tooth or two to the gearbox output sprocket to make the final drive a bit taller , and you should be where you want to go.

I'd expect that to go pretty good, by Bullet standards.

If I may throw in my own 2 cents here, when I was first thinking about getting a Bullet, I had a big concern about being able to cruise on the highway.
After I got my Bullet, I found that cruising on the highway didn't matter, because I don't go on the highway for any length of time with my bike..
I suppose that highway cruising will be important for some. But it turned out to be inconsequential for me.
If i need to drone down the boring superslab, then I take my truck And happily, if I want to take my Bullet with me on a long trip, it fits in the pick-up bed of my truck just fine, and I just bring my loading ramp with me.
If I just need to zip up a few exits to the next city, there's no problem doing 60-65 mph for a short period of time involved in that activity. My Bullet does 65mph rather easily, and quite often too. It's broken-in now.

By the way, I rode my old Iron-Barrel  Bullet at 80 mph yesterday, and it did just fine. Didn't ride it at that speed for long, but it will do it if I need it. And I've probably only got about 20hp at the rear wheel.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:47:17 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

lcfarrelljr

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:23:12 am
I'm a 300 lb. lardy who much desires an Enfield, with a sidecar for my 28 lb. dog, but want to be able to cruise at 65 mph. Are there any sensible performance mods that would enable me to achieve this level of performance?

Thanks.

Larry Farrell
908-277-1111

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:40:39 am
Larry,
Not with a sidecar.

This is a 500, not a Harley 74ci.

45mph would be sidecar cruising speeds.
It's alot safer to go slow with a sidecar anyway.
They tip over easy when turning at speed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:45:05 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:57:58 pm
 ???Does the C5 not come with the upswept exhaust that is shown in the lovely website pictures?

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:00 pm
Afraid not, the standard silencer is the more typical and hideous bloody great torpedo stuck to the side.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:50:18 pm
And, based on the information our host has shared with us, the upswept can is going to be available as an option.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:47:39 am
Am I right in thinking that, unlike re-jetting a carburated motor, the fuel injected U.C.E. will self adjust to a freer flowing silencer?  Or would it have to be re-calibrated by a dealer?  Could be an issue if your nearest R.E. dealer is 190 + miles away, as in my case.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 05:51:35 am
Am I right in thinking that, unlike re-jetting a carburated motor, the fuel injected U.C.E. will self adjust to a freer flowing silencer?  Or would it have to be re-calibrated by a dealer?  Could be an issue if your nearest R.E. dealer is 190 + miles away, as in my case.
I think you read my mind.
In theory I would agree.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:47 am
You shouldn't have to as the mapping and oxygen sensor will compensate.

The UCE has been mapped to 18K ft. Which is just sensing air density.

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:02:01 am
I have communicated with people at enfield who have told me that tests with a less restrictive exhaust have consistently provided figures of 32-33hp and over. It was also mentioned that the fuel injection system automatically adjusts the mixture and remapping would not be required for a UCE exhaust upgrade.
That is a huge boast, one which I'd like to see first before completely believing, though it is very possible with a well set up FI system. It would make the bike viable for multiple use with minimum effort... maybe even capable of pulling a 300lb man and sidecar at 55mph.

ACE Fireball 001

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 02:47:02 pm
Seems like I read that CMW was working with one of the aftermarket companies to produce a fuel recalibrator for a UCE with air flow mods.  That would make it pretty easy.
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:00 pm
I am not aware of any Dino testing with altered exhausts although it is likely that it they exist they were done by the Brits who had these early on. What I can tell you is the the "sport exhaust" shown in pictures will work on the stock bike with no recalibrating. I suspect that if you go much futher than that you may run into calibrating issues. the sport exhaust give you some noticeable increase in power, but it is minimal in terms of feel. The sound is much better though.
  A Power Commander type device (which acts like a middle man between the brain and the sensors) would be helpful in this area.
  Our resident tech expert (makes me look like a shade tree mechanic) Scooter Bob says that they can easily be tweaked by by adjusting the throttle sensor and/or adding a resistor to the O2 sensor. I am sure we will learn more about that later,

As food for thought, the stock bikes runs extremely well, is not the least bit "choked up" but its emission devices and has plenty of power, It is by far the best bike we have ever made as far as drivability goes. It is extremely "green" in terms of fuel economy and emissions. Why mess with that? It is a rhetorical questions as I know that we Americans can't leave anything mechanical alone, but the average customer will be more than satisfied with this bike right out of the box.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:59 pm
"the average customer will be more than satisfied with this bike right out of the box."

Oh I dont doubt that at all. I was just answering lcfarrelljr's post where he asked if anything could be done to allow the bike to be able to pull a 300lb man and a sidecar at 65mph.
If/when I buy a UCE bike in the future, I would probably change the exhaust primarily for aesthetics and sound- not so much performance.   
ACE Fireball 001

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:42 am
I refer to my original post.  70mph cruising seems to be a common goal , which might be a bit unreasonable with a top speed of only 82mph.
  Most owners are going to want the bike to have some bark, rather than sound asthmatic.
  The stock silencer looks absolutely terrible.
  Low mid 30's horsepower isn't much to ask from a newly designed 500 single.