Author Topic: LB500 delivered and Initial impressions  (Read 4686 times)

jayprashanth

• Scooter
on: January 25, 2009, 04:24:23 am
Hey guys,

Finally, I got my LB500 on Wednesday. First of all, thanks to all my fellow forumers at Enfield motorcycles for helping and guiding me during the decision making and the purchasing stages. The dealer called me to the dealership at 5pm for delivery. I was there at 430PM. Finally the delivery happens at 7PM. Phew! In the interim, I got a crash guard fitted, checked the oil level and took the bike for a test ride to check how the bike was. The LB500 rode well but didn't pull as hard as the test bike that I rode a few weeks ago. When I quizzed the showroom guys about this, they said as I was riding with less than one fourth throttle, I wasn't feeling the power and torque. I was satisfied with this reply as I was using just one fourth throttle in all gears and not taking it past 50 in top gear. I filled in nine litres of fuel to supplement the showroom guys' one litre of fuel.

Then, I took delivery with the odo reading 10 and rode down to Gaadi(vehicle
) Ganesha temple for Pooja. I was a little tired as the bike was pretty heavy in traffic. My only grouse with the LB500 was the high clatter and vibrations at idle although the engine sounded good and felt smooth once the bike was doing around 40-50. Finally when I got home, the bike had covered 35 on the odo. I'm not commuting yet, to my office in E-city as I don't want the bike subjected to peak hour Hosur road traffic.

Next day, I took the bike out for a spin after work. I covered around 50kms after 7 at night. I took the Outer Ring Road near Hebbal Lake and switched off the bike at the traffic signals. I rode at a speed of 50, never exceeding 55 in top gear and I also slowed down now and then and then accelerated gently to make sure that the engine saw different rpm levels in different gears. Overall I felt happy although I felt that the power and torque was less. Also the engine got heated up pretty fast at idle and I couldn't keep my hand on the timing chest for more than two seconds as it was pretty hot. When I returned home and observed the engine for oil leaks, etc, I found a few drops of oil around the the breather pipe. I checked the oil level and found it to be almost full. So, not too surprising as the bike was depositing the extra oil to the catch can. But, as the breather pipe wasn't fitting snug enough, a few drops oil was being let out. So, I set that right. The odo read 85.

On Friday night, I took off and rode towards the Bangalore International Airport( awesome smooth tarmac) Kept the speeds to less than 55-60 and varied the speeds in all gears with gentle acceleration and deceleration. I also gave breaks every 40-45 minutes and let the bike cool for ten odd minutes before starting off. Finally came back home late. the odo read 163.
I was very happy with the stability and poise. I was unhappy with the somewhat sluggish performance and the diesel autorickshaw-like clatter at idle.

Finally Saturday arrived. After a late brunch, I went to JC road and bought two AGV MPA lids(one for my brother) from Megha Enterprises. I took a circuitous route to avoid traffic to keep engine temperature low. Then, i rode down to Cramster for a jacket and gloves. It was closed as the Cramster guys were off to the Rider Mania. Then, I took off to get some mileage in. Back on the new airport road. This time, I pushed it to sixty where I found that the bike loved it. I had found it's sweet spot. Finally, after passing the airport, I turned around and rode home. Was pulled over by cops for overspeeding. When I asked for a print out, the cops sheepishly showed a fifty one. So they couldn't fine me as I was under the 60 K's speed limit. Just before reaching home, I tanked up. 11.12 litres of fuel went in to fill the 14.5 litre tank. The speedo read 260. I was amazed. I had covered 260 clicks in approximately less than 6.5 liters. So that made for a mileage of 40+ on a 500cc. I wasn't happy, not happy at all. Was my baby running to lean? Got home and checked the silencer bend pipe for blueing. No signs of it. Touched the timing chest. Engine was pretty hot.

Now, this is leaving me all worried. Could the lack of pick up and hot engine be due to the lean mixture? That said, cold starting is not too much of a hassle with the bike needing choke to start and some warming up. But, the engine has a minor misfire when I am decelerating using gentle engine braking. This happens, even when the engine is warm. So, is my bike running lean and does that explain the lack of grunt at lower rpms? Or is the high gas mileage due to the fact that I'm riding gently without straining the engine? I personally think the misfiring is due to a lean mixture or the timing may be off as the engine is getting run-in. If it is the latter, that explains the lack of grunt and also the misfire. Or it could also be a combination of both which could explain the factor of high mileage as well. Or is it something else? Bullet gurus, please chip in with your know-how. I'm a little anxious. I just don't want the engine to run lean during the very critical running-in phase. Please HELP!

Also, the bike vibrates quite a bit at idle and the clatter is high/noisy during idle, when the engine is warm. Will that reduce and do bullets, especially AVL500s become smoother after the first service? Please advise as I have no clue about all this and what to expect aftre the first service as I am a newbie bulleteer.

Meanwhile, I will check the spark plug tomorrow morning. Also, I plan to cover another laidback 120 kilometres each day on traffic free/ fast moving city roads tomorrow and on Republic day. So, that means, first service on Tuesday or Wednesday. Till then, I can only hope that my LB500 isn't running lean. Tomorrow, I will ride down to Gurunandan's( a great bullet mech) garage and pick up a Pete Snidal manual. But, Nandan himself advised me against touching the engine as it will void warranty. So, I have to keep off that temptation.

Also, please excuse the lack of pics folks. My digicam is on vacation somewhere in Kasargod, Kerala with a dear friend of mine. I will post pics after the first service. Will keep you guys updated. Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,

Jay

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:54:01 am
Good to hear from you again, and congratulation on the new RE.
I have the same engine , I am not able to address the heat issue due to the fact I accomplished my run-in with air temperatures of +15*C. Possible over heating will not be an issue for me.
The clatter at idle( tick over) seems normal ( within commen sense), after the engine is warm the valve chatter is louder.
Also be sure and follow the run-in speeds that are printed in your hand book.The performance will increase with run-in.
Not sure about being too lean.My pipe is not blue at all, I have a stock motorcycle.
Maybe some else will share.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:26 pm
Well, I think that an LB500 must be and AVL. If that is true then you shouldn't expect an increase in grunt until until after 600 miles or near 1000 Kilometers.

If the mike you tested was completely broken in or the exhaust had been modified that would account for the difference.

The popping  your probably hearing instead of misfiring is usually caused by the carburetor air adjustment or whatever it's called on the CV carb being ever so slightly off

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:42 pm
I also have the same motor. My bike feels nothing like it did when new. The more miles I put on it, the happier it runs. At 10,000 miles it feels like it really wants to run. Doesn't use much oil and the sweet spot is 60-65 (100+ clicks) per hour. It easily runs up to 70+ if I don't watch myself.

Adrian

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:29:24 pm
Jay,

the 500 Lean Burn models (sold as the Electra-X over here, we didn't have the AVL Classic or 500 Machismo option) have just about disappeared from the UK dealers, to be replaced by the UCE/EFI Bullets. Enjoy your bike, it should give you a lot of fun once the engine has settled down, and make sure you keep it, it's the last pre-unit 500 single design on the planet. 8)

There are various performance upgrades available if you need them, and if your local vehicle regulations allow you to fit them...

Regards,

Adrian

LJRead

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:18 pm
Jay, I would do some plug chops to determine if it is running too lean.  That will help set your mind at ease.  Just find a level road, ride the bike for about thirty minutes with a new plug, then with no adverse traffic, cut off the ignition switch, pulling in the clutch, rolling to a stop and checking the plug.  If it is white looking, it is too lean.  a pale brown is what you want. You can do the plug chops at full or half throttle for a time before cutting off the engine, but since you are now in break-in probably half throttle will be good.  If it is too lean, a simple carburetor adjustment, such as moving the throttle slide down will let in less air and enrich it.  Your mechanic cn help you there.

If you search here under plug chops you will probably find more information.

I always heard these bikes are noisy, but to me mine seems fine.  Sometimes the timing chain seems a bit noisy, but I check it and it is about right.  But I haven't ridden or listened to a lot of bikes, so it seems fine to me.

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:51 am
...My bike feels nothing like it did when new. The more miles I put on it, the happier it runs....the sweet spot is 60-65 (100+ clicks) per hour. It easily runs up to 70+ if I don't watch myself.

DITTO on that.
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

jayprashanth

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:12:17 am
Thank you Gentlemen.

On Sunday, I went over to a Bullet Guru based in Bangalore., Mr B.R. Gurunandan.
He rode my motorcycle and was happy with the grunt. Maybe I was expecting a little too much. :). I also picked up a Pete Snidal manual and have been reading it since then. Meanwhile, the bike is feeling good and smoother as the miles are being logged. About the plug chop, I haven't done it yet. After my ride, I usually examine the plug and I noticed the plug to have a gray colour, not white though. So, I guess it is running ok for now. I am giving the motorcycle for first service on Wednesday or so. I will get the required adjustments done. Also, the Pete Snidal manual is proving to be very useful. I am very thankful to you guys for your splendid support and interest.  :)

Kindly excuse the average quality pics. That's about how much I could manage with a mobile phone camera.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:42 pm
My garage floor is wood- when my bike is at idle, my glasses won't stay on my face and I'm afraid the roof will cave in.  I love it!

I have to remember you're talking about kilometers and not MILES per hour.
Seems like 30 -35 mph in 5th gear is really lugging the engine.   No?
Run what ya brung

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:42:21 pm
Very pretty bike, Jay!  I love the darker gray tone against the chrome!  Regarding the LB (or AVL, as we call it in the USA), I cannot be of much help because my Perla is of the iron lung flavor.  In general and as it is the case of a love for a woman, the Bullet improves with age and I wish you a long love affair with your Lady!

Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:02:48 pm
My garage floor is wood- when my bike is at idle, my glasses won't stay on my face and I'm afraid the roof will cave in.  I love it!

I have to remember you're talking about kilometers and not MILES per hour.
Seems like 30 -35 mph in 5th gear is really lugging the engine.   No?

Lugging is  relative, If your going down hill, probably not unless your accelerating hard. Going straight and level with steady throttle, probably not. Up hill, yes. there is no one speed that makes an engine lug. You can feel it lug, it wants to shake and rattle and complain about doing what your asking it to do. If in doubt, down shift.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:28:53 pm
Jay ,
Beautiful Machismo, we here in the States envy you as they don't sale that model here.
I have the same engine on a classic frame in British Racing  Green. I have 1500 miles on the bike and no problems with the engine. I do all my own work because there is no dealer near me.
Enjoy your new Machismo!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

jayprashanth

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 03:23:00 am
Thank you Gentlemen.

Meanwhile, I weigh in at a very light 60 kilos. So 50-60k's in top gear isn't too much load for the motor. The bike doesn't shudder, judder nor knock at those speeds. The revs build nicely and I use the throttle progressively. Hopefully, this is the correct technique.