Author Topic: Cryogenic treatment for better dependability?  (Read 9947 times)

gapl53

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 04:48:05 pm
no, nitriding is a whole 'nother deal. Cryo treating is chilling the parts to very low (~-300F) temperature in a controlled fashion and holding it there while the stresses normalize and martensite forms. No chemical immersion, and it's an all-the-way-through process, not a surface hardening.

OK! I understand now.
Been out of mold making following a different career path for the last 22 years. I am not familiar with the process but understand the principal behind it. It's not so much a hardening process as a improving durability process, by removing the stress factors in the chosen metal.
Love to learn new things so I don't feel like I wasted the day.
Thanks,
Greg

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 12:29:05 pm
When my son and I used to race Quarter Midgets we would occasionaly buy cyrogenic treated connecting rods. It is a very real process with many touted benefits. I do not know enugh about it to comment on it technically though. Here is s ont information I found in
Google: http://www.nwcryo.com/motorsports.html
While I cannot vouch for the treatment I have spent money on it. We always said that if that if this weeks race winner had a dog turd on his front fender by the next week everyone would have a turd on their fender.
Hey Kevin, you got any official RE dog turds in the catalog.......I think I need one for my front fender.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 02:15:47 am
I wasn't kidding, Dew,,,ever been here?   My 02 sits in a cold shed all winter.  I'd get pretty stiff and  hard if I did that.  Must work...........dg

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 03:07:02 pm
Is it cold enough up there to freeze moonshine......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 01:39:40 am
Yup Dew, even after you drink it..........

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 03:51:44 am
I wonder if those guys would freeze your whole bike, or maybe the motor?