Author Topic: Doing without a battery  (Read 15094 times)

LJRead

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 11:13:24 pm
Another good topic for me under installing a 60's seat.  It's in Campfire Talk.  There is a thing said in New Zealand that if your car needs repair, just put it to the side of a highway and look hopeless and people will come along and rebuild the whole thing.  They are very mechanical in that country.  If I wait long enough you guys will show me what it takes to put a nicer bike together.

LJRead

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 11:19:58 pm
Whoops, the 60's seat installation is in this section, not Campfire T.  The photo of the seat really looks nice. alk

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:16:04 am
I spent a year on Guam.......how close is Tonga.   Sounds wonderful for a northern boy like me.   Swim all year long.    dg

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 05:33:15 pm
I use a BAT-PAC in my "95" 500.  Cheap, works great, easy to hookup, and I believe they will ship over seas.  Google BAT-PAC.
Geichal

LJRead

Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 06:31:16 pm
Thanks, I'll check out the Bat-Pac.  The question above about where is Tonga in relation to Guam, well Guam is about as far north of the Equator as Tonga is to the south, and Guam is quite a bit farther to the west.

LJRead

Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 05:25:46 am
Geichal,  That Bat-Pac looks like just the thing - lifetime guarantee and all, and about half the cost of a battery.  I'll go for it!  Thanks, Larry

LJRead

Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 03:38:31 am
I ordered a Bat-Pac today as possibly being the best solution to overcoming some of the difficulties in having a battery here in Tonga. 

I figure if anything is going to give me problems, it will be the ignition (or possibly the carburetor) so I began reading Pete Snidal on the topic.  Apparently the T-bird I have coming has the CDI ignition whereas the later T-Birds have the TCI type.  I understand the CDI , and I suppose have an idea about how the TCI works.  My thinking is that they went to the TCI when they went to electric start, but I'm not sure.  CDI seems non-battery dependent, so perhaps you could get along without a battery without using something like the Bat-Pac.  TCI is battery dependent.  It seems to me that if you had a good battery, TCI might be more stable.

Anyone have any ideas on the relative merits of each?