Author Topic: Wierd carb problem  (Read 13348 times)

gemini641

• Scooter
on: September 07, 2007, 03:32:58 am
Just got the '05 Bullet Deluxe on the road again after busting the Sprag clutch from backfires. Finally got the timing just right and pretty good tune on the carburettor but it's doing something funny.

When I crack the throttle open and let it off, instead of immediately dropping back down to idle, she continues to "race" and very, very slowly drops back to idle. I noticed when I was riding today it was almost like power shifting, which I don't do.

The throttle cable run is free and  I can hear and see  the throttle block "clunk" home when I let go of the twist grip so it ain't the cable. Maybe in one of the internal circuuits in the carb?

Anybody got any suggestions? Going to work on it tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Tom

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 02:10:13 pm
Look for a vaccum leak, the rubber mounting flange cracks, replace it with the lucas part,they last much longer. It could also be intake valve too tight.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

gapl53

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:15:45 pm
Isn't that an oxymoron saying Lucas parts and lasting longer in the same sentence?

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:28:28 pm
GAP 53    The worst part is the overall q of the oem part!!!  Maybe they are outsoursing from China to India   ::)
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:48:41 pm
Look for a vaccum leak, the rubber mounting flange cracks, replace it with the lucas part,they last much longer. It could also be intake valve too tight.
Yep, Dogbone is probably right, vacume leak, or valves too tight.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

gapl53

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:58:48 pm
GAP 53    The worst part is the overall q of the OEM part!!!  Maybe they are outsoursing from China to India   ::)
If they are outsourcing the quality has got to be better. I'm basing my experience on British cars and motorcycles from the 1950's and 60's. Lucas electronics were a nightmare and as backwards as they came.

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 04:42:17 pm
Well, vacuum leak seems to be the consensus, even Tait said the same thing right off the back.

Have the Amal intake rubber and it seems sound, no cracks. I tightened it down pretty good. And I double checked  the intake hole for the PAV system which I had previously removed. No leak there.

It is running a  better but I'll check the intake valve today and see what's what.

Thanks, guys, I'll report when I find the problem. Meanwhile I'm going for a ride on this beautiful sunny day in Tidewater.

Tom

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:51:13 pm
Thanks, Blltrdr,

Will continue to tweak the carb sisnce I can't seem to find any air leaks.

Tom

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 01:02:03 am
U can spray some WD50 around the carb manifold and watch the exhaust....if it smokes a little you have a vaccuum leak.   My bike had had two cracked intake rubber replaced.   Now I keep a roll of sticky rubber tape in the side cover just to patch things up if need be....dg

gapl53

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 04:38:41 pm
U can spray some WD50 around the carb manifold and watch the exhaust....if it smokes a little you have a vaccuum leak.   My bike had had two cracked intake rubber replaced.   Now I keep a roll of sticky rubber tape in the side cover just to patch things up if need be....dg

I believes he means WD40.

You will also hear the engine pickup rpm when the vacuum leak is sprayed.

We use it to start engines insteed of ether due to the lubricating factors. Works about as well too!

WD40 is that wonder liquid that no workshop should be without, it has many diversified applications.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 07:23:17 pm
WD40 is that wonder liquid that no workshop should be without, it has many diversified applications.

If it is suppose to move and doesn't use WD-40.  If it isn't suppose to move and does, use duct tape.

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 01:35:33 pm

[/quote]

I believes he means WD40.
You will also hear the engine pickup rpm when the vacuum leak is sprayed.
We use it to start engines insteed of ether due to the lubricating factors. Works about as well too! WD40 is that wonder liquid that no workshop should be without, it has many diversified applications.
[/quote]

Yes it is handy stuff to have around BUT....
It is not a very good lubicant for metal. Get you some
"PB Blaster"  for rusted, corroded, and stuck fasteners!!
You will love it.
    - MIke
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

gapl53

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:04:52 pm

If it is suppose to move and doesn't use WD-40.  If it isn't suppose to move and does, use duct tape.

ABSOLUTLY!

Is Red Green your hero too! He's mine.

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:48:22 pm
Red Green is good, but I like Harold. He has about as much mechanical insight as I do. Sad but true!
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 03:08:51 am
WD 50,,,,,wonder where I was when I wrote that.   Maybe its the new improved stuff..ha