Author Topic: The 612 conversion kit  (Read 26888 times)

deejay

on: September 06, 2007, 06:48:34 pm
who's done it? i can find little information or reviews about it.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:52 pm
Egli (a german firm, I think) makes a 612 screamer kit for the 500 RE. If you can read German, or have a translator, go to their website...... Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:36:40 pm
Egli (a german firm, I think) makes a 612 screamer kit for the 500 RE. If you can read German, or have a translator, go to their website...... Dew.
Upon further investigation, Egli is a Swiss firm, not German.... sorry.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 10:50:45 pm
The 612 kit is a good one, but is not for the faint of heart as it is pretty involved. You will need to split the cases, replace the crankshaft, do some machining (filing), check clearances between piston and valves, etc. If you are familiar with engine rebuilding (theory as well as having put together a 350 Chevy or minibike motor) you will be fine, but if you are a beginner we do not recommend it. You will find more details here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/performance-612cc-p-6568.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:57:57 pm by Royal Enfield 1 »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:58 pm
I bought a used Bullet which needed a top end rebuild.
I did that because I like to have an excuse to spend money to get some go.
Call me cheap if you wish.
From a bang for the buck point of view, just change the exhaust system and keep the original carb.
Take the money you saved on the carb and get the alloy 535cc and 8.5:1 piston.
Lap the stock head to the new alloy barrel.
Then change the secondary drive sprocket one or two teeth up.
Now you got an engine with more torque and power.
You will have a very tractable cycle with less shifting required in town.
If you want to change the air filter for a less restrictive one, put a 3 or 4 inch radiator tube between new filter and carb.
Rejet as needed.
You may like the result, and it'll come in under $1000 with relatively little work involved.

Stay away from tuning for top power and speed because you will have to make it turn faster.
Higher RPM are expensive in the long run and mean a lot more time in the garage.

Big end goes? Now you have an excuse  8)

Peter

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:20:38 pm by Peter »

deejay

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 12:12:44 am
The 612 kit is a good one, but is not for the faint of heart as it is pretty involved. You will need to split the cases, replace the crankshaft, do some machining (filing), check clearances between piston and valves, etc. If you are familiar with engine rebuilding (theory as well as having put together a 350 Chevy or minibike motor) you will be fine, but if you are a beginner we do not recommend it. You will find more details here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/performance-612cc-p-6568.html

Yeah, if I buy it, it will be in a year or more... I just wanted to get some opinions. I suppose I would gain experience when I take the original 500 motor apart to fit the 612 kit.  ;D

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:26:30 am
Good attitude.

But I'm afraid that the experience gained by taking the engine apart is limited to taking the engine apart.
Getting the engine together again and running is another experience altogether.

The nature of the beast is that you are going to run in a myriad of nagging little issues which you can't solve on your own if you haven't seriously worked on an engine before.
And nobody will want or be able to do the job for you.
So my advice is to take it step by step.
If you don't heed the advice, you need to be prepared to have your cycle down for a very long time.
And that's all there is to it, you won't be able to ride for a long long time.

Peter

deejay

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 01:40:27 am
Good attitude.

But I'm afraid that the experience gained by taking the engine apart is limited to taking the engine apart.
Getting the engine together again and running is another experience altogether.

The nature of the beast is that you are going to run in a myriad of nagging little issues which you can't solve on your own if you haven't seriously worked on an engine before.
And nobody will want or be able to do the job for you.
So my advice is to take it step by step.
If you don't heed the advice, you need to be prepared to have your cycle down for a very long time.
And that's all there is to it, you won't be able to ride for a long long time.

Peter

Maybe so, but for experience I was considering taking a course in motorcycle mechanics, there's a guy in my area who owns a used brit bike shop that teaches it. You basically follow him around the shop working on bikes (including your own) or help rebuild an engine if he has one that needs it. Could be a valuable course!

Anyway, thanks for the info, but I'm still not scared of that 612 kit  ;D

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:25:20 am
That's the right way to get started.
Just remember one thing: A lot of mechanics will not appreciate any performance tuning efforts. Don't be disappointed if you don't get any encouragement from the people who teach you.
Take what you need from the course and completely disregard what they tell you about the problems with hopping something up a bit. You may not want to bring it up until the end of the course.
But listen carefully to anyone who has the unreasonable inclination.
In the end you will have to make your own decisions.
Performance tuning can be expensive but you can also tune with a budget.
Satisfaction and frustration guaranteed.

Peter

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 10:02:22 am
I wouldnt  walk off into my motorcycle engine as the first one I went thru. Maybe get a bike I dont even want, needing work, super cheap. Take it apart & put it back together. Practice. That is cheap & effective.Maybe get an old Honda 50 & rebuild it. You will not down your RE & when you are done, you will have a little bike you can sell.

deejay

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 10:07:17 pm
As you know we sell many of these kits.

You do? I've only seen 1 person speak of the kit on the yahoo board. The only reviews I could find was on Brit message boards. All were very good though.

Anyway, I just went out for a spin on my bullet, and she's running so well it would be a shame to mess with her.

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 03:15:52 pm
I'm surprised there is not more buzz about the kit online, it really is pretty popular with the more ambitious modders. Deejay, if you decide to take it on, maybe you can share some photos and notes of your experience.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

deejay

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 01:21:33 am
I'm surprised there is not more buzz about the kit online, it really is pretty popular with the more ambitious modders.

I don't doubt Kevin's word, just wish there were more reviews in the US. If I do the mod I will take lots of pics, and most likely video it too, so when I get stuck later I can go back and look at the footage.

I think we should start a separate forum that is exclusive to ideas for convincing wives that you NEED these parts for your bike.

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 04:01:26 am
I need to convince mine I NEED a bike in the first place. She thinks we should have a bigger house for our almost two-year old to run around in. unfortunatly I kinda agree... :-\

deejay

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:25:34 pm
I need to convince mine I NEED a bike in the first place. She thinks we should have a bigger house for our almost two-year old to run around in. unfortunatly I kinda agree... :-\

The price of a used enfield isn't going to get you a bigger house, maybe new carpet or a paint job. I know what you mean about the little one though, we have a 1 year old and he's the main priority now. thank god I can pick up freelance work outside of my full time job to buy bike parts!