Author Topic: DYNASTY - Cycle Worlds article of the new C5 in March issue  (Read 15943 times)

Royal.Oilfield

Just spotted the article about Cycle Worlds visit to India. From page 36 on you'll find six pages of a nice and positively written article about the new C5. Mr. Ravinchadran and Mr. Lal talk about the development of the new bike and its design features and about Royal Enfields future.
The author has a positive impression about the bikes capabilities and states the bike is worth the money.
From page 44 on you'll find two pages named "Package From India" a story about the "old" Bullet.

Johann

http://www.zinio.com/gncoffer?issn=0011-4286&of=ZH1&ns=usa

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:13:35 pm
thanks for that Johann - an interesting & positive article - the futures bright for RE by the sounds of it  ;D
Cheers
Nick

deejay

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:13:38 pm
Nothing screams classic bike like the sound of an electric starter. Leaving out the kick start is my only complaint though. I think it has it's place in the retro market.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:36 pm
Johann, I thank you for sharing the link with the all of us!  It was an informative article.  We will get more detailed information about the performance of the C5, as it becomes available in the UK (and the rest of Europe)!

Keep the shiny side up! 
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:10:07 am
Great read on the C5...It just whets my appetite for one.
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:20:08 am
Nothing screams classic bike like the sound of an electric starter. Leaving out the kick start is my only complaint though. I think it has it's place in the retro market.

I agree totally deejay, they said they had done research & found that no one used the kick when an electric was fitted – therefore they didn’t produce the C5 with a kick. They also go on further in the article to explain the lengths they went to in order  to make the bike authentic - “ the stitching & leather on the saddle” etc.

If they had done decent any market research with UK, US & European importers & dealers they would certainly have been told that most potential customers would want the bike to be as ‘authentic’ & as retro looking as possible – the C5 (IMHO) should have been produced with a kick.

I’ve been waiting a long time for a RE & this bike really excites me – if the C5 had a kick I would have put an order for one already – but I’ll still check it out now when it gets to dealers (hopefully next month).

The good thing is that the RE brand will grow & improve with new & exiting future models – I’m sure they will consider re-introducing a kick a few years down the line.

Someone has just offered me a reasonably priced Triumph Bonnie – I’m rather tempted to go for that & delay my venture into the world of RE. 
Cheers
Nick

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:43:26 am
Meh, up until the latest models, the new Bonnevilles have used a reportedly unreliable carb and have gotten downright embarrassing gas mileage for a modern bike.  I've heard in the neighborhood of 25 mpg in the worst cases, and I've heard worse still about the bike's overall reliability and maintenance.

Unless your buddy's got the real article, an honest to God vintage Bonnie, I'd say don't bother.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

deejay

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:18:09 pm
Someone has just offered me a reasonably priced Triumph Bonnie – I’m rather tempted to go for that & delay my venture into the world of RE. 

I had a new Bonneville a few years back, I did not like it at all. Bad gas mileage as reported, HEAVY for it's size, slow, and it felt like a new japanese bike with no soul. Those are just my opinions though, a lot of people love them. My favorite "retro" bike would still have to be the Kawasaki W650 (has kickstart). I'll wait to see the new Enfields before I judge them any further. Everything else looks pretty good on them... time will tell.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:26 pm
Thanks for the advice guys - It’s a 2001 790cc parallel twin, mpg is not too bad on these bikes, around 50 for steady riding along with more than twice the horse than a C5. Anyway - still really want a RE but probably wont lose too much on this if I sell it on again in 6 months or so!
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:07:45 pm
While it is true as reported that the new C-5 does not have a kickstarter, the new G-5 does. Just to be clear the G-5's should be available in March in limited numbers. The C-5's will not be available until late spring or very early summer.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

WKinNJ

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:03:04 pm
Thanks for the advice guys - It’s a 2001 790cc parallel twin, mpg is not too bad on these bikes, around 50 for steady riding along with more than twice the horse than a C5. Anyway - still really want a RE but probably wont lose too much on this if I sell it on again in 6 months or so!

I have a 2001 Bonnie - no problems, I get about 50 MPG.  Good performance and handling (but not in the sport-bike sense).  Easy to drive - low seat height and usable power.   Planning on buying a new RE to "keep it company."

Enjoy your new bike!   

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:34:02 pm
While it is true as reported that the new C-5 does not have a kickstarter, the new G-5 does. Just to be clear the G-5's should be available in March in limited numbers. The C-5's will not be available until late spring or very early summer.

Do you have an opinion as to the logic behind that decision?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:59 pm
     Guys, you should embrace the electric starter. It is the one thing that opened up the motorcycle market to the general populace, and it will bring Royal Enfield into the popular fold. With the increased sales it will garner to the brand there should be much money available for R&D for other projects.
     You have no idea how many people are terrified of a kick starter. Every one has an Uncle Harold story: "My Uncle Harold busted his ankle when the kick starter flipped him over the bike."
     I can hardly even sell a DIRT bike if it doesn't have an electric starter. People have walked out of my store because they saw a kick lever on a unit they were interested in. No matter  that the the unit had an electric starter also. The mere presence of the kick lever was too intimidating.
     Scary, sad, but true.

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 06:45:50 pm
     Guys, you should embrace the electric starter. It is the one thing that opened up the motorcycle market to the general populace, and it will bring Royal Enfield into the popular fold. With the increased sales it will garner to the brand there should be much money available for R&D for other projects.
     You have no idea how many people are terrified of a kick starter. Every one has an Uncle Harold story: "My Uncle Harold busted his ankle when the kick starter flipped him over the bike."
     I can hardly even sell a DIRT bike if it doesn't have an electric starter. People have walked out of my store because they saw a kick lever on a unit they were interested in. No matter  that the the unit had an electric starter also. The mere presence of the kick lever was too intimidating.
     Scary, sad, but true.

I know it's not in the best interest of R.E., but I like the fact I'm not riding a "popular" motorcycle.

deejay

Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 06:56:39 pm
     Guys, you should embrace the electric starter. It is the one thing that opened up the motorcycle market to the general populace, and it will bring Royal Enfield into the popular fold.

I don't deny the electric start will make the bike more accessible to different types of owners which is good for business. I hope RE and RE USA are very successful in selling this bike, they deserve it and I may look into one for myself in the future. I just feel that the reasons given for leaving out the kickstart are odd and not consistent with what I've experienced among current Enfield owners. If they had said, "it costs too much" or "it would be too hard to fix a broken pawl with the new design", then I wouldn't have even brought it up.

The usual quote I get about my bike...
"hey that's a CLASSIC! Wow, it's even got a kickstart!"

The future quote of the C-5
"hey that looks like a CLASSIC! Wow, it's even got the old style stitching on the seat!"

;) :D ;)

My overall impression of the new bike is positive though. I hope you sell a lot of them Vince.