Author Topic: Bloody oil leaks!!!!  (Read 14570 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 02:00:26 pm
Just looked really close in the pictures. So how are you going to know how much cooling effect the coil is producing? Sounds like a good thing for your perpetual summer.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:05 pm
I don't know how much cooling the cooler will have. I will probably never know.

Im not jumping up and down over it but, --I do know that it will have cooler oil with,--- than without.

The copper was 2 dollars and the new banjo was 2.50 dollars and I enjoyed the little project

It is also a bigger diam pipe,--so a little more oil in the system that will flow slightly slower through the pipe helping cooling even more.

She's ready for a trip somewhere !!!!!

I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:30 pm
now THAt is real nice ;D

Reminds me when I made a cool can for my gas line when I was drag racing so long ago..  I had a coffee can full of copper tubing with ice in the middle.

I did notice the original line seems to get close to the exhaust.. could be the angle of the picture ..
I would be tempted to run the contour of the of the timing cover with the copper tubing and solder down at the bottom banjo..

Good job !!!!

er.. are you sure that's an RE and not a moonshine still in disguise  ::)

oh, what the orange thing in the background ???

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 02:28:52 am
Thank you scottie ,--i like it too,  we seam to be the only ones that do, that makes us different, I like that.

The orange thing in the back ground-( I had to go and look) well if you make the picture bigger you can see that it is nothing more than some young spotty kids motorbike.

I dont normally allow my Re to mingle or get close to these crotch rockets but space was a bit tight as some inconsiderate Bstrd had parked a car near.

Again make the picture bigger by left clicking on it and select open link in new window.

The pipe is not too near the exhaust!!!!   I routed it that way and kept the length to max and will later make a little clamp to hold it to the exhaust bracket to stop any vibration and consiquential metal fatigue.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 02:46:51 am
makes sense to me .. as far as fatigue goes.. and Yea  I rechecked the lines with the new pics.... smooth,,  ..   :)

tasteful... 

btw I thought that was your garage and was going to make some rude comment about you driving your car under barb wire fence with all of the scratches the picture showed..   ;D

tight parking areas  :o

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 02:52:01 am
Clamp, very ingenious and thrifty mod. How will you tell if it is a success or not? I imagine it's very hot and humid where you live most of the year so definitely won't hurt having the fat tubing coil with a little air blowin by it.

I was thinking bout what Scotty mentioned about the ice and thought if you took a plastic container that fit snug in the center of the coil you could fill it up with some ice on very hot days. Might assist with your cooling.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 03:14:18 am
Hey Clamp,
I noticed in your pictures that your bike has some panniers and racks on the sides.  Are they actually manufactured for Bullets, or were they a custom job?  Anyhow, I like the look of them and they suit the bike well.  Nice job on the oil cooler!

Eamon
Eamon

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 03:32:26 am
 No its not my garage it is the Yacht club car park.

Ice in a bucket would be great -- for about 5 minutes. 

The panniers were bought in India and multi fit most bikes,-(you get a bag of brackets,)-   280 ruppees = 7 dollar.   I only bought one because I wasnt sure it would fit,    wish ide bought more.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 03:35:31 am
for about 5 minutes.
   :D

now that is hot :P

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 03:50:01 am
Scottie,-- ice in a small container would only last 5 minutes even if the engine was'nt running.

We are running away with our selfs here ,--I dont have a overheating problem, never did I just fancied fitting an oil cooler instead of reading a book on the vegitarian diet of Pabagonian monks living on the lower plains  of Mount Everest.

Reading a book such as that (or any book) would render me insane, I would prefer water boarding in the hands of the nice CIA people.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:42 am
any book) would render me insane,
   well i figure  at this time , I am a fig newton  of my imagination and figure it's earlier there than earlier here.. or something like that.. hitting the sack..

take care
 :P

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:29 am
Hey that's a pretty neat cooler ,,Clamp. Did my idea help you?
I am tyring to make mine run hotter.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:11 am
What idea was that then?

Run hotter is easy,  do you really need me to tell you how?

geoffbaker

Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:44 pm
I like it clamp, nice and lowtech.

You could always use a meat thermometer in the dipstick to do temperature comparisons with and without.

Given the low oil pressure on an RE your tubing is probably the best way to cool the oil; anything more complicated could put too much strain on the oil pump.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:04:18 pm by geoffbaker »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:54 pm
What idea was that then?

Run hotter is easy,  do you really need me to tell you how?

Yeah, that copper air dam, you installed should deflect some cooling air away from the jug for hotter running efficiency.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)