Author Topic: Bloody oil leaks!!!!  (Read 14418 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:48:19 pm
"Sounds like you have an American friend."  REpozer

:) ;) :D ;D
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 12:50:59 pm
And it still pisses out.  The oil feed to the tappets at the timing case is pissing it out.

The damage to the casing will not seal. I have decided to modify to a tapered thread fitting that will use a copression olive and use a copper coil in front of the engine as a mini oil cooler and then re solder back to the splitter. 

The casing is badly machined and it will never seal with copper crush washers.

A nicely coiled 2 foot of copper in front of the cylinder  wont hurt it.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 03:14:51 am
can you use nylon washers or perhaps fiber washers ???

i did use JB weld on a cast iron exhaust port on a 48 ford 8n tractor.. and leveled it out..  stopped the leak.. don't know if this will help for you..

on second thought.. the nylon would melt with the heat..  and the fiber washers would have to be some form of asbestos ..  ..
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:28:27 am by Scotty_RE_DJ »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:50:16 am
I second the JB Weld...  Its surprisingly effective..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 05:35:39 am
Ok seeing as though there is some interest, I could'nt get the bits,-nothing small enough.

So I tried filing the banjo flat, the tiny imperfection in the  block was inspected with a magnifying glass and I decided it perhaps was'nt the reason.

The filing of the banjo has improved it so Ive got it on the run and now know what it is. It would seem therefore that it is an imperfect banjo.

The pipe is infact copper with a nikel plating of sorts so if I buy a new banjo I can solder it on.   I might just take the opportunity to make it longer and go for the mini oil cooler idea,---if I can get a banjo.   Ille go shopping after the funeral.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:03 am
funeral?

and you are thinking of adding solder to the banjo and then leveling it..  that sounds like that would work real well..  soft metal .. tighten it up ..  hopefully no more leaks.. 

well it's midnight in olde KaiNtuCk..  wifey gets up in 4 hrs ..  that means I do too//    hope you cure your leak.. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:55:41 am by Scotty_RE_DJ »

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 02:33:55 pm
You know scottie thats not a bad idea for a shoe salesman, Yes tin the banjo to allow for uneven level, good idea.

Yes funeral of an aquaintance that decided life was too hard, shot himself in the toilet in his underpants with a gun he didnt have?---   what can I do thats what the police say.

Then after the funeral  in front of all the people I know on this island I drove the RE away without undoing the steering lock, Yes I was on the floor with the engine running. People rushed to help me and I got it all sorted out till some wise crack asked my lady if she wanted a lift with them. She ofcouse declined the offer but I took note.

What a total utter wally.  And I bent the foot peg and bust the foot peg hexagonal bolt. Is this made of lead?   I took it home an cut off the bolt heat from the 1 foot  peg bolt, welded on a new threaded portion and rebuilt it.

Sigh --its not been a good day  AND its still pissing out.

geoffbaker

Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 04:26:24 pm
I discovered using biodiesel that the only way to stop leaks on every line and washer and banjo and mating surface was very simple..

I used a slow wet grinder and I polished every single washer and banjo union until it was mirror finish. Presto, no leaks.

Problem is you need to get the head surface smooth too, maybe a valve grinding tool with paste?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 04:57:17 am
cLamP.. sounded like a rough dAy..  Hope things Are a bit better today.. SorrY MaN..  Hang tUff U always have :)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:11:19 pm
Ok so i changed the banjo on the bottom, it was much bigger yet still 8mm. I decided to go for it and bought 4 feet of 3/16th copper pipe and wound it into a tight 4 inch coil. I cut the feed pipe just below the join and silver soldered it in the line. The coil is just out of the way of the tappet cover and the pipe now goes out to the front by the exhaust bracket then down to the timing case.   It looks great. I started it up and it pissed out immediately

I  got angry and removed it again. I made some washers from Hypolon,-- this is a rubber kind of stuff rubber dinghys are made of, totaly resistant to the sun but???

Time will tell but the leak stopped, alla bloody luya,--- and the cooler stiil looks great. Tomorrow I shall re torque the head and then im going to ride the f@#$ing thing.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:31 am
can you post picture of what you did.. this sounds interesting

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 08:10:54 am
Went down the wharehouse for a case of Skol it ran great, head not loose at all infact I probably backed them off a bit.  Cracked em loose then took them back to 20ftlbs elbow setting.

The inlet valve tightened  ever so slightly and may not be contributory to the torquing.
  I like the cooler, will take a photo in the next couple of days.  maybe ille wander over in a minute see how we go.

Still no leaks!!!!!

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:34 am
Ok heres a couple of the new oil cooler.   They don't seem to go bigger just by left clicking onto it. If you want to see it blown up (the picture not the bike) you can right click onto the picture and select   "open link in new window"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:48:35 am by clamp »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 01:20:06 pm
Certainly hope you can still adjust the valves or how ever you say that in English!  :D

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 01:40:21 pm
Not a prob at all. I did it yesterday after re torquing the head.