Author Topic: Bloody oil leaks!!!!  (Read 14542 times)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 20, 2009, 01:13:43 am
2 hours after taking it from the showroom in india I had to take it back,-- it was pissing out of the clutch cover.   Ok they did it imediately.

They had dropped the gasket off the dowels on reassembly. They opened it up to change the flat washer on the clutch hub as the factory had run out of spring washers yet continued to build.

1 year now and I am puddled at my oil leaks!!

I got one on the oil filter plate, the nut just could not or should not be tightened any more to compress the copper washer, I changed it for a home made PVC made from a washing up liquid bottle ,--perfect.

I now have a sereous one from the oil feed banjo union on the pipe from the crank case. This is a bad one and I dare not tighten any more.

I dont know what copper they use but I hope that replacing will cure it.

Thats this mornings job,   I gotta do it because Im loosing so much oil. Hope the case isnt cracked.  It highly suspicious that backing off and tightening does'nt alter its flow.    Oh OH.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:42:29 am
JB weld.  I used it on my pool filter assembly as it had a split about 2"inches  long  in the dome (Hayward) and it has done the job, even at the high PSI that thing is under.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:35:37 am
I must be a novice. If I can find a torque value for said fastener I try to use it . Less leaks less stripping of treads. But no guaranties.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:52 am
Well I dropped out the 2 copper washers and jumped onto the ole bicycle and went to to the engine shop for some new copper washers (Jealous scotty).

The case was perfect but I did notice that one of the washres had a side that had not been touched. This is either a fault with the washer or the banjo union.

Beautifull weather today as was yesterday and the day before that and will be tomorrow and beyond, blue skies and sparkling seas --33 degrees.   I can see the Milky way at night.

Cant be arsed getting it out to test.   If it leaks it will mean pipe removal and filing the banjo even or make up a new one in copper.    Polished up copper looks real nice.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:20:39 am
I was wondering clamp, How much is 33* in American speak?
I haven't been out much lately

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:06 am
33 degree in American speak is about 90, or in English --bit  warm, this will increase to warm,-- hot,--- bloody hot and ----phew what a scorcher.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:31:13 pm
Thanks Buddy,
It's -16*C here today. Enjoy!!! 8)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:17:17 am
Well its not fixed, it in fact its worse,

Anyway Ille have to remove the leaking oil pipe and try to file it flat. The only other thing it could be is the case was not drilled straight.

I could put  bucket under it I suppose.

One of the cheap Indian mirrors was on the floor this morning. I dont know what happened to it I only took the cover off and the mirror was on the floor.    There is a big spring in there and it wont go back together.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:58:08 am
 Removed said pipe and filed flat , measured with vernier and refitted,--still a drop or 2 becaue--- I found the oil leak reason.

With best glasses on and head right under the machine  found a tiny nick in the face of the case were the copper banjo bolt seated.

Ide say it was 1 mm deep, I would suggest that  the tool for cutting was removed too quickly or carelessly.  I will try a fibre washers as filing it out would be impossible.

A nasty little imperfection that could have been avoided with a little more care with machining.

Mirror arm ball now sawn off and an after market job fitted.

My mates Re that we bought together is falling apart , although he has'nt even washed it once at all he has had many punctures,

The tool box lock fell out, speedo cable twisted off blown head lamp bulb, leaking tappet inspection cover ( his fault I think)  and a stolen mirror.

Nothing serious.!!!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:04 am
Clamp, are you helping your buddy keep up with his RE maintenance?

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:58:10 pm
No, he reckons he can do it himself, and that makes me happy.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:41:24 am
Right then changed the oil for the second time since new 1,300 KM. new filter and fitted a 3 mm fibre home made washer on top of the banjo bolt facing the block.  (Hole punches)

Cured,--it tightened up quite a long way compressing the fiber gasket material.

Im not very happy about it but its stopped the leak by compressing into the 1 mm flaw.

Rear brake light appears to be not working now and a bunch of wires insist on hanging down by the spark plug.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:13 am
No, he reckons he can do it himself, and that makes me happy.
That would be a good friend ,for a mechanic to have.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 02:46:46 pm
Clamp, are you helping your buddy keep up with his RE maintenance?

Oh geez,--- so he wont keep his tyres  pumped up and rides over kerbs and damages the tube and gets a flat. He has had 4 now to my none.

So he takes off the wheel and gets it done only to fide that he has lost the oil seal spacer on the starboard side of the rear wheel.

Phones me up in a panik , need the bike today, I say  Ille come round at 11am.

Goes round on my mountain bike and looks for the spacer, cant find it, he wants me to take mine out and get one made like it.

I am up to my arm pits in stuff I need to do, I refuse his kind offer not fancying my bike standing in the car park with the rear wheel out  not to mention his uncanny ability to loose stuff.

He had fitted it back with the spacer missing, the wheel was binding on the oil seal and I could hear the brake shoes scraping on the back plate when pressing the brake pedal ???????? . He asked me if he could ride it like that ?

I tell him to ride very slowly around the corner to the machine shop and tell the nice man what you have done.

Am I a bastard or what?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:16 pm
Sounds like you have an American friend.