Author Topic: Tan Leather Saddlebags  (Read 6938 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: September 05, 2007, 10:15:54 pm
I am seriously thinking of buying the Leather Saddlebags, in tan color, for my 2006 Electra.  I am about 99 and 1/2 % sure the bags are not waterproof.  Has anyone had any experience with these bags when riding in the rain?  How do they hold up?
Thanks
Terry

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:02:35 pm
Hi Terry,

Well, you're right... our leather saddle bags are not waterproof, but they do handle light rain nominally well, depending on how much rain you're worried about. 

If you ride where and when there's significant rain, Dave (our parts manager) says that he uses dry bags, like the kind used for camping/outdoor sports inside his saddle bags to keep the contents dry even in heavier rains.

Hope that helps!
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:44 am

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 03:43:38 am
cLiCk   http://www.atsko.com/ui/image/productpage/snoseal.jpg

waterproof for leather

it will darken light leather

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:41:44 pm
The GUzzi had Givi bags, canvas or whatever, not leather. They cam with plastic/nylon bags with drawstrings to put around the bags in the rain. They still got a bit dampish from wheel splash, but not soaked thru & thru at all. Neatsfoot oil from Tractor Supply wont waterproof leather, but it makes the water take another few minutes to get thru & will rejuvenate the leather after its been wet. I like leather & am willing to jump thru a few  hoops to have it. I hope you solve this , tan bags look good.

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:51:14 pm
Thanks for your replys.  I am considering the tan leather saddlebags mainly for the look.  They appear beautiful on a Bullet, especially with the tan solo seat like I have.  My son just bought him some new saddlebags for his Suzuki SV650, and gave me back the Ortlieb Dry Bags I let him borrow.  The Ortieb bags are great, waterproof and hold a ton of good stuff.
But they are ugly compared to the RE bags. 

Even with the Ortieb bags I have always stored my stuff in a heavy duty trash bag within the bags.  Did this even with Krauser hard bags I had on a BMW F650.  Just extra protection.  I will probably order the tan bags from CMW in a few weeks, maybe sooner if someone were to offer me a huge discount, say around 40% off.

Thanks again,
Terry

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:55:44 pm
For 40% off I'll take a pair also ;D......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:12:40 pm

:D Can't see that happening. Those bags are too popular to become closeouts, methinks.

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:00:18 pm

:D Can't see that happening. Those bags are too popular to become closeouts, methinks.

Thats too bad Rhett, I really love a discount.  Tell me, were one to place an order for the tan leather bags, do you have them in stock or usually back ordered? 
Terry
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:14:17 pm by TRider »

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:37:47 pm
Tell me, were one to place an order for the tan leather bags, do you have them in stock or usually back ordered? 

I took a peek back in the warehouse, and our stock looks pretty solid on those. Unless someone goes wild and orders dozens of sets ( and you never do know  ::) ), I think those will remain in ready stock for a while.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:39:20 pm by CMW-Rhett »

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:11 pm
[]

I took a peek back in the warehouse, and our stock looks pretty solid on those. Unless someone goes wild and orders dozens of sets ( and you never do know  ::) ), I think those will remain in ready stock for a while.
[/quote]

Thanks Rhett, I will be getting back to you later.  First I have to get my Electra back from the dealer.  Its been in his shop now for almost a month.   The dealer and I have been waiting for the Classic tank and chrome flared front fender to come in so he could make the change on my bike.  This has been kind of a disappointing experience, but I am not one prone to anger or unkind words, so I am just making the best of it.  I believe there has been some communication problems with the dealer and CMW on the availability of the Classic kit for the Electra, especially so with the chrome and green tank and chrome front fender.  The dealer is also completing some other work for me and we have a positive understanding of whats going on, so I have no hard feelings toward him.  Nice fellow.  If its not raining to heavy Saturday morning I plan to ride it home with or without the kit. 
I still plan to order the tan leather bags within a few weeks.
Regards,
Terry