Author Topic: Trouble with blinkers/indicators  (Read 994 times)

codybrown07

• Scooter
on: April 20, 2014, 07:54:24 pm
My turn signals recently stopped working in a variety of ways.  I know right?  The lights on the front of my bike glow but do not blink.  The lights on the rear do nothing at all.  This happened at some point but I have no idea how.  Anyone know how to fix this or what might have happened?

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:25:42 pm
A ground could have vibrated loose, the flasher itself could have something wrong...

What year/model do you have?  Some things changed over different years that could play a role in helping you sort the problem.  Also, have you done any recent modifications?  Do you have a mutli-meter tool?

ETA:

I see you have a 2002 500 ES, same as mine :-)

There is a grounding wire that is held on with the bolt that goes through the fender and secures the rear brake light housing.  That is a good place to start, sometimes the tire can come against that while riding and rub the ground wire. Also, check around the back of the nacelle for where the wires drop out and connect to the front signals.

When I re-did my signals I not only used bullet connectors, I taped over those connectors, then covered in heat shrink, then covered in flex tubing, just trying to guard against future issues (heat shrink and flextube are super cheap insurance).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:34:56 pm by azcatfan »
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

codybrown07

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:15:50 am
Thanks for the great response.  Yup 2002 500ES.  I really appreciate the advice.  No recent modifications.  I'll check on the things you said.