Author Topic: The EFI is now in the hands of a Brit!  (Read 25669 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:56 pm
You are right in a way. The idea was that it would be easier to get a bike that could cruise at 70mph with more cc's. Nothing beats HP. At is turns out they made a good but challenging decision.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mark

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:25 pm
Hi guys,

Have just in the last hour changed the oil,after just over 1000 miles.
The oil came out very clean with no swarf that I could see at all.
I even decanted it to another receptacle to check.
The consistency of the oil was just as good as the 15w 50 going back in.

This would suggest to me that the quality of design and manufacture is very good.So the question is to myself do I buy the woodsman or the classic,as I can't make up my mind.

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:07 pm
Well - There is an EFI in the hands of a Yank, now .... and BOY - am I impressed with it! Your tale of riding a thousand miles with no trouble and changing the oil and finding it to be clean enough to recycle into the old Vauxhall are going to be the norm, I think. The G-5 that we have is finally a production bike - the old cobbled-together test mule was not even close to how slick and nice the prod-bike is.

I have really been trying to find fault with the new EFI Enfield to appeal to the "it has to clatter and be fussy to be a REAL motorcycle" guy in me ... but this bike is everything that I'd ever want in a gREat daily driver - but with all the charm you'd expect from a bike whose lineage is English. It sits right - it has "proper behaviour" and it just flat works with no fussing required. Pull up to a stop and just let go of the throttle - it'll settle into an idle that you use for a metronome. Miss the light turning green and get fast on the throttle to get out of the way - it just goes. Go gently down the street, sightseeing .... same thing. Rap the throttle a bit to "check it out" - again - linear power ... no disappointments! What a nice rider ..... I'm guessing that I'm going to HAVE to get one for the "private museum" before it's all said and done .... dang it!! Hahaha!! I just hate that ....  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 11:11:09 pm
Mark and ScooterBob, those were two great reports!  It is very difficult to have to wait for those of us who have yet to kick the tires and run the new RE product offerings!  So, that makes for a very lucky Brit and an equally fortunate Yank!

To each of you, I send a big WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 12:16:08 am
Well - There is an EFI in the hands of a Yank, now .... and BOY - am I impressed with it! Your tale of riding a thousand miles with no trouble and changing the oil and finding it to be clean enough to recycle into the old Vauxhall are going to be the norm, I think. The G-5 that we have is finally a production bike - the old cobbled-together test mule was not even close to how slick and nice the prod-bike is.

I have really been trying to find fault with the new EFI Enfield to appeal to the "it has to clatter and be fussy to be a REAL motorcycle" guy in me ... but this bike is everything that I'd ever want in a gREat daily driver - but with all the charm you'd expect from a bike whose lineage is English. It sits right - it has "proper behaviour" and it just flat works with no fussing required. Pull up to a stop and just let go of the throttle - it'll settle into an idle that you use for a metronome. Miss the light turning green and get fast on the throttle to get out of the way - it just goes. Go gently down the street, sightseeing .... same thing. Rap the throttle a bit to "check it out" - again - linear power ... no disappointments! What a nice rider ..... I'm guessing that I'm going to HAVE to get one for the "private museum" before it's all said and done .... dang it!! Hahaha!! I just hate that ....  ;D

What tires come stock on the G-5?  Are they sticking with Speedmasters, or maybe going with a more modern Avon tire?  As much as I like the AM26 Roadriders I switched to, I kind of wish I'd just stayed with the SM's.  They just seemed to suit my riding style and look great on the bike.  You're making me want one of these badly now!

Eamon
Eamon

mark

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 11:30:49 am
Eamon,my bike came with avon venom and viper tyres,I have found them to be very good.

ScooterBob congrats on acquiring the nineth wonder of the world(King Kong was the eighth ;). Plus the greatest machine ever built,not even the hadron collider comes close.
not even Sharon Stones leg opening shots more mesmerizing than the Bullet.
(might be exagerating with the Sharon Stone bit ;D.) but you get the jist.

Anyway when will we become the three bulleteers?

ps  Arise Sir BulletBob!

Who's going to be the other E F I ..ng  one?.
Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 01:02:46 pm
Keep those reports coming, as it keeps me motivated toward my goal.  ;)
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 08:23:41 am
Hi All
I too have just (in the process) of buying a new Enfield EFI (DL),( i'm in Yorkshire (UK).
Don't laugh but mine is still in the dealers waiting for the new redg. plates.
I haven't riden seriously for 35/40 years so consider myself  a novice but seriously looking foreward to riding -but at the moment I will be a fair weather rider.
Do want to eventually customise this bike with what ever items can be obtained from various sources
Regards Martyn

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:36 pm
Brother Martyn, as others soon will, I welcome you to the forum and wish you many, many miles of happy riding, when you finally get your EFI DL, that is!

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:17 pm
Hi All
I too have just (in the process) of buying a new Enfield EFI (DL),( i'm in Yorkshire (UK).
Don't laugh but mine is still in the dealers waiting for the new redg. plates.
I haven't riden seriously for 35/40 years so consider myself  a novice but seriously looking foreward to riding -but at the moment I will be a fair weather rider.
Do want to eventually customise this bike with what ever items can be obtained from various sources
Regards Martyn

Welcome Marrtyn (I’m a newbee brit on this forum too) - I guess you will be getting a Mar 09 plate for your EFI!
I’m holding on to see what the C5 is like (hopefully be in the dealers later this month) is like (in the flesh).
Probably can’t really afford it at present due to moving house this year – so may end up with an older Bullet instead.
Not had a bike myself for a good many years due to health issues but looking forward to getting back in the saddle this year.

Anyway – enjoy those Yorkshire country roads & keep us posted on your progress
Cheers
Nick
Cheers
Nick

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:24 pm
"– 2 simple mods (IMHO) that it’s crying out for is addition of a single saddle & the 50’s style exhaust (you can remove the baffle) or the Goldie style exhaust. "  UK-Classics

Here, here, Brother Nick!!!

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 03:12:42 pm
Yes – looking at the DL variant, it’s maybe a more attractive option for some than the C5. It comes with a kick (which is sadly missing from the C5) & I guess most electra add-ons will fit OK out the box.
It will interesting to compare them – I’m really looking forward to seeing the C5 in the flesh hopefully within the next few weeks! Maybe take a trip to sometime soon to WS & see all the variants!
Cheers
Nick

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:44 pm
Hi
I went to the NEC Bike show in Nov. and compared all of the models on show-- I was always interested in the previous Electra DL.But looking at the C5 they look very nice, but for the extra cash you get very little more.Nice paint job, slightly smaller wheels, I didn't like this models solo saddle ( compared to the British style solo saddle)- no offence to you Americans; and of course no kick start. However I think I prefere the C5 over the (standard) Electra. So for me it had to be the DL.
Hard decisions to make!!
Martyn

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 04:59:03 pm
Couldn’t make the NEC bike show last year. It will be useful to compare so I’ll wait a short while & arrange a trip to WS (not too far away from me).
I’m not sure what is drawing me to these new bikes – I keep changing my ‘scope’ (over the years) & upping my requirements/aspirations. I have a fairly long commute at present which wouldn’t be too much fun on any bike so I’m after a RE for weekend trips & ride outs (plus a bit of tinkering & custom stuff) – looking at it realistically £4000 is a lot just for a weekend toy! But if I keep it for years & years & get loads of pleasure out of it I suppose I could justify it!
Just need to convince the misses now  ::)
Or should I just get myself an old iron barrel 500? Decisions …decisions :-\
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:55 am
There will be aftermarket exhausts for the G-5 and the C-5 (Of course only for off-road racing use) almost as soon as the bikes are introduced.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com