Author Topic: The EFI is now in the hands of a Brit!  (Read 25679 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 06:49:10 pm
The Professor is right! A gentle break-in for BOTH the bike and the rider will pay off in the long run. I prefer to use the bike for short errands in the beginning - then allow a little "leg stretching" as it limbers up. This works well for the venerable "pig iron" engine as they are TIGHT from the box. A gentle break-in here will last a lifetime. The UCE is much better machined and improved in every respect - BUT - a bit of gentle treatment in the beginning couldn't hurt, could it? Also - as mentioned earlier, the UCE has a debris screen in the bottom of the sump. These tend to collect raw bits from the inside of the engine (burrs on gears, leftover machining bits, etc ...) and need to be monitored. If your dealer hasn't put new oil in it for you and cleaned the screen - you should between 50 and 100 miles just to make SURE. I have seen a couple of them come out nearly as bad as a new Ducati! Hahaha!!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 01:10:14 am
Brother Scoot, I find it interesting that you bring up the venerable Ducati.  My comment to Richard Evans (R&D Enfield, Westminster, SC) was that the ignition procedure, sounds and behavior of the UCE were like those of the Ducatis.  Rich said that there were similar remarks made at the EFI Class in Faribault, MN.  You were in that particular class; what is your opinion with respect to these similarities?
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

deejay

Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 01:11:38 am
holy hell, just hammer on the bastard already!

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 07:46:05 am
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new DL - It's a great looking bike & will appeal to some more than the C5 (along with the £500 saving over a C5).

Yes, running in periods can be tedious (it's a long time since I had something that new) - even though there are postings saying the new bike doesn't really need it I think it is worthwihile - you are a tenth of the way there! - if you look after her, she'll look after you - I guess it's the same with women  :D :D

Also as you have not been on a bike for many years this period (as stated by others in the thread) helps you get to know the sound/feeling/handling of the bike.

You could always do a slowest 'John o groats - Landsend' trip & get it run in over a weekend  ;D

Keep us posted
cheers
Cheers
Nick

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 01:46:26 pm
Brother Scoot, I find it interesting that you bring up the venerable Ducati.  My comment to Richard Evans (R&D Enfield, Westminster, SC) was that the ignition procedure, sounds and behavior of the UCE were like those of the Ducatis.  Rich said that there were similar remarks made at the EFI Class in Faribault, MN.  You were in that particular class; what is your opinion with respect to these similarities?

Cabo - The new UCE IS similar the Ducati singles that we all lusted after in the "bad ol' daze" in that it is a "runnin' muthah" - Heeheehee!! It DOES have that European Big Single flavor about it, for certain. It still is all Enfield, tho - no doubt about it. The whole rig is just such a quantum light year leap of improvement in every way, it's sort of hard to describe. My reference to the Ducati debris screen was because on the first oil change on mine (Ducati 900SP) - I thought the whole engine was on the screen .... There were chunks on it big enough to have parts numbers stamped in 'em! The RE isn't nearly that bad, but it does "throw fines" just like a good Ducati will ..... I just wanted all the new UCE owners to be mindful of this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 02:12:59 pm

I owned several Ducati motorcycles back in  the "old days in the 70s". They were all twins. I also worked on the "pit crew" for the Tunstalls back then, when Malcolme was racing the 750, and his dad Syd won the Daytona #1 plate on his 250.
But, one day last year I was riding my Bullet on a twisty road in Burke's Garden, VA, and I noticed how much the Bullet felt like my old Ducati 750 Sport. The Bullet isn't as fast, but it had that same kind of feel like a "locomotive", and that deep rumble of the exhaust, and the nimble handling. I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, this thing really feels like my old Ducati 750".
And that's a high compliment, because out of all the bikes  I ever owned, the Ducati 750 from the 70s is at the top of the list.

I think that the Bullet is one of the most under-appreciated and overlooked bikes in all of motorcycling. Uninformed people dismiss it "out of hand" by looking at the spec sheet, and never get to experience what these Bullets can really do.
The Bullet absolutely a jewel of a motorcycle

And it seems that the UCE is a more refined version for modern folk. It will allow more people "in on the secret", without them having to do the wrench-twisting. I like the old, but there's plenty of folks out there who'll want the new.

For those who haven't heard about it, the new UCE frame had design input, and perhaps build input, from the same people who do the Ducati frames. And that's certainly a good pedigree.
The old Ducati 750, unbeknownst to many people, had it's frame designed by the famous British racing frame builder Colin Seeley, and built by Ducati.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:28:23 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 02:57:37 pm
Brothers Scoot and Ace, I thank you for your feedback and confirmation about the the non-technician feelings I had about the UCE sounds and behavior!  And, Ace, I agree on the RE handling points -- Perla is a terrific dancer, also!  But, my friend, when you get to ask the UCE for a dance you're gonna pair up with a prima ballerina!   And, I ask you to keep in mind that the G5 I rode was wearing wooden blocks (Avon Road Masters) for shoes!   ;)

Papa Juan

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 10:09:34 am
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new DL - It's a great looking bike & will appeal to some more than the C5 (along with the £500 saving over a C5).

Yes, running in periods can be tedious (it's a long time since I had something that new) - even though there are postings saying the new bike doesn't really need it I think it is worthwihile - you are a tenth of the way there! - if you look after her, she'll look after you - I guess it's the same with women  :D :D

Also as you have not been on a bike for many years this period (as stated by others in the thread) helps you get to know the sound/feeling/handling of the bike.

You could always do a slowest 'John o groats - Landsend' trip & get it run in over a weekend  ;D

Keep us posted
cheers
I totally agree with you. Steady as she goes initially, and gradully build up (oil changes included) to build a good foundation for many miles of sweet running.
Look after a good women and she will look after you (as somebody already said that?)
Landsend/John o Groats run sounds good
Regards to all

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 06:09:18 pm
The Professor is right! A gentle break-in for BOTH the bike and the rider will pay off in the long run. I prefer to use the bike for short errands in the beginning - then allow a little "leg stretching" as it limbers up. This works well for the venerable "pig iron" engine as they are TIGHT from the box. A gentle break-in here will last a lifetime. The UCE is much better machined and improved in every respect - BUT - a bit of gentle treatment in the beginning couldn't hurt, could it? Also - as mentioned earlier, the UCE has a debris screen in the bottom of the sump. These tend to collect raw bits from the inside of the engine (burrs on gears, leftover machining bits, etc ...) and need to be monitored. If your dealer hasn't put new oil in it for you and cleaned the screen - you should between 50 and 100 miles just to make SURE. I have seen a couple of them come out nearly as bad as a new Ducati! Hahaha!!

Am I glad to read this post.  Did first oil change at 200 miles on my G5.  The pictures show the rest.  Could not post all pictures because too big - so splitting them in 2 posts.  There was "burr" on the studs of drain plug and screen cap.

Oil came out dark

Oil filter was dark.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 06:14:49 pm
First oil change at 200 miles on G5.

"Burr" collected on the stud of drain plug and screen cap. Screen itself had a few particles but not a large collection.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 08:22:01 pm

From ACE - "I think that the Bullet is one of the most under-appreciated and overlooked bikes in all of motorcycling. Uninformed people dismiss it "out of hand" by looking at the spec sheet, and never get to experience what these Bullets can really do.The Bullet absolutely a jewel of a motorcycle"

I couldn't agree more with you, ACE! Perhaps we can "fix" that by being out on 'em a LOT! I'm braving the "30-something" temps to ride one of mine every day. I get a lot of looks and stares - and I'll prattle on fr hour to explain one. They are, as I like to say, more fun than shootin' fish in a bathtub ...... !!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 11:25:50 pm
Thanks for the pictures.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 01:43:05 am
"They are, as I like to say, more fun than shootin' fish in a bathtub ...... !!"  ScooterBob

Fun they are... and a great way to enjoy, again, the single life!!!   :D

Papa Juan

mark

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:52 pm
Hi fellow Bulleteers!

Not been on for a while,as I have been out and about on the bike as much as possible.
After 3000 or so miles,the bike is just superb.

I have serviced the bike myself,twice infact.believe me guys if I can do it,anybody can.
The avon roadrider tyres that came with the bike are very good,wet or dry.

I regulary go across dartmoor,with a couple of friends on their Harley's,and the bullet out performs them everytime,you can just throw the bike around .it is just so stable.

Anyway it is sunny and you know where I'm going.........bye! ;D

Mark.

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 03:22:35 pm
Thanks for the report, you lucky dog.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association