Author Topic: The EFI is now in the hands of a Brit!  (Read 25665 times)

mark

• Scooter
on: January 14, 2009, 04:32:30 pm
Hi guys,

I was sent a pm by Nick if would start a thread in this section as it  appears I am the only EFI owner on this site at present.

well I've  had the bike for about a month,and it is a fantastic machine.
I have done nearly a thousand miles on it and not a single problem,so all the old jokes about royal oilfield and reliability problems have died.

The bike is very agile,and very stable at low speeds.
While not the best bike to take on a motorway,mainly because of riding position,it is capable of keeping up with traffic,infact lots of cars slow down to see what it is.

Most of time I ride across Dartmoor,where the superbikes and their lead wristed riders don;t venture very often.This is where the bike is in its element,as most of Devon and dartmoor within are narrow twisting roads and rolling hills.

Anyway nobody bothers looking at the superbikes when parked up,but the Bullet always has a crowd around it when parked up in Plymouth city center.

The real bonus though is the bike is great fun to ride and it's mine!

Royal Enfield Bullet efi.
rolex explorer,datejust,airking.
omega seamaster,speedmaster,constellation,dynamic.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:10:10 pm
Thanks Mark for the report. It's good to hear for sure what, I think, most of us thought would be.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:19 pm
Mark,
Thanks for posting you update here.
Glad to hear the EFI is offering reliability and enjoyment – those roads & hills around Dartmoor/Devon are just made for a Brit single.

I’ve held off buying a Bullet for a good number of years now (main reason being my injuries meant I couldn’t ride a bike) – I’ve seen the various improvements/changes in the models that have been introduced & followed RE developments.

Your enthusiasm has nudged me towards an EFI/UCE – I have a lot of expenses this year so may find it hard to justify spending on a brand new bike.
I’m waiting until they get the C5 in the dealers (hopefully mid Feb) & will go & take a look.

Were you the first to buy one from your dealer?
Are you going to join your local RE branch (for ride outs etc)?

Anyway - keep us updated on any run outs.
Cheers
Cheers
Nick

mark

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:24 pm
Hi,

Yes I was the first to order,out of two bikes that were going to the dealer,and probably the only one who had never even sat on an enfield.

So I bought the bike blind,and it's the best four grand I have ever spent.

I will be going the plymouth ride this year which is any bike as for the local branch,there arn't any that I know of .

So that makes me the leader of  the pack,which means ill get all the girls!!
I'm sure the vibrations will be of their liking! ;)

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:36 pm
Congrats on your new bike!!
Now, we need to see some photos. 8)
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

mark

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:38:49 pm
hi,

photo's have been on the site for 3 weeks or so!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:15 pm
Mark, thanks for the report and Godspeed as you continue to enjoy the bike!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

mark

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:48:59 pm
Its a great machine,but a 650 single would be even better!!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 01:06:14 am

Mark doesn't want to let a girl get away without a chance at vibration !  ;)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:18:31 am
"Mark doesn't want to let a girl get away without a chance at vibration !"  ;)  PhilJ

Phil, I hea' ya, Boss!  :D

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 08:18:05 am

I'm not sure 650 is necessarily better than a 500 single. I think 650/700 is pushing it for a single -from what I can remember  there were always more engine reliability problems in the larger singles than the 500's - Anyway, the balance should be just right with 500 - you are never going to blow off any of the jap boys anyway - just savior the vibrations!
As I say to the misses - 'bigger ain't always better'  ::)

Couldn't see your photos from the other thread - I'll check the photo gallery.

As for RE branches - think the nearest to you (if you are interested) is Torrington or Exminster:
http://www.royalenfield.org.uk/branches_south.php

By the way Mark - did your G5 come with the kickstart or had they removed it before you rode off?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:52:29 am by UK-Classics »
Cheers
Nick

mark

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 01:39:59 pm
Hi,

The kickstart had been removed,but I insisted on it back on.
where it is now.

Does anyone know why are removing them?

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:16:40 pm
Hi,

The kickstart had been removed,but I insisted on it back on.
where it is now.

Does anyone know why are removing them?

Mark - as I understand (from one of the UK dealers) - there was an issue with the first batch of kickstarts produced for the UCE G5 (or Electra EFI) - (I think they were prone to snapping). :-X

Anyway I was informed they were producing some improved levers - probably best check with your dealer if you have the right one fitted
cheers
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:10:57 pm
When the development of the UCE started Royal Enfield wanted to make it a 625-650. After quite a bit of fooling around they determined that the only way to produce a single of that size was to add counterbalancing shafts etc. This was against the design princi8ple of making it simple and easy for the customer to maintain so they opted for the tried and true 500cc size.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 04:43:42 pm
When the development of the UCE started Royal Enfield wanted to make it a 625-650. After quite a bit of fooling around they determined that the only way to produce a single of that size was to add counterbalancing shafts etc. This was against the design princi8ple of making it simple and easy for the customer to maintain so they opted for the tried and true 500cc size.

That’s interesting to hear Kevin – it indicates that they may have thought they would be able to compete with more manufacturers by producing a bigger single.

I’m really glad that they stuck with the tried & tested 500 – if it proves reliable there may be a whole new era (with new converts) about to start for RE.

Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 05:11:56 pm
You are right in a way. The idea was that it would be easier to get a bike that could cruise at 70mph with more cc's. Nothing beats HP. At is turns out they made a good but challenging decision.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mark

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 06:18:25 pm
Hi guys,

Have just in the last hour changed the oil,after just over 1000 miles.
The oil came out very clean with no swarf that I could see at all.
I even decanted it to another receptacle to check.
The consistency of the oil was just as good as the 15w 50 going back in.

This would suggest to me that the quality of design and manufacture is very good.So the question is to myself do I buy the woodsman or the classic,as I can't make up my mind.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:07 pm
Well - There is an EFI in the hands of a Yank, now .... and BOY - am I impressed with it! Your tale of riding a thousand miles with no trouble and changing the oil and finding it to be clean enough to recycle into the old Vauxhall are going to be the norm, I think. The G-5 that we have is finally a production bike - the old cobbled-together test mule was not even close to how slick and nice the prod-bike is.

I have really been trying to find fault with the new EFI Enfield to appeal to the "it has to clatter and be fussy to be a REAL motorcycle" guy in me ... but this bike is everything that I'd ever want in a gREat daily driver - but with all the charm you'd expect from a bike whose lineage is English. It sits right - it has "proper behaviour" and it just flat works with no fussing required. Pull up to a stop and just let go of the throttle - it'll settle into an idle that you use for a metronome. Miss the light turning green and get fast on the throttle to get out of the way - it just goes. Go gently down the street, sightseeing .... same thing. Rap the throttle a bit to "check it out" - again - linear power ... no disappointments! What a nice rider ..... I'm guessing that I'm going to HAVE to get one for the "private museum" before it's all said and done .... dang it!! Hahaha!! I just hate that ....  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 11:11:09 pm
Mark and ScooterBob, those were two great reports!  It is very difficult to have to wait for those of us who have yet to kick the tires and run the new RE product offerings!  So, that makes for a very lucky Brit and an equally fortunate Yank!

To each of you, I send a big WOWZAA!!!

Papa Juan

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 12:16:08 am
Well - There is an EFI in the hands of a Yank, now .... and BOY - am I impressed with it! Your tale of riding a thousand miles with no trouble and changing the oil and finding it to be clean enough to recycle into the old Vauxhall are going to be the norm, I think. The G-5 that we have is finally a production bike - the old cobbled-together test mule was not even close to how slick and nice the prod-bike is.

I have really been trying to find fault with the new EFI Enfield to appeal to the "it has to clatter and be fussy to be a REAL motorcycle" guy in me ... but this bike is everything that I'd ever want in a gREat daily driver - but with all the charm you'd expect from a bike whose lineage is English. It sits right - it has "proper behaviour" and it just flat works with no fussing required. Pull up to a stop and just let go of the throttle - it'll settle into an idle that you use for a metronome. Miss the light turning green and get fast on the throttle to get out of the way - it just goes. Go gently down the street, sightseeing .... same thing. Rap the throttle a bit to "check it out" - again - linear power ... no disappointments! What a nice rider ..... I'm guessing that I'm going to HAVE to get one for the "private museum" before it's all said and done .... dang it!! Hahaha!! I just hate that ....  ;D

What tires come stock on the G-5?  Are they sticking with Speedmasters, or maybe going with a more modern Avon tire?  As much as I like the AM26 Roadriders I switched to, I kind of wish I'd just stayed with the SM's.  They just seemed to suit my riding style and look great on the bike.  You're making me want one of these badly now!

Eamon
Eamon

mark

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 11:30:49 am
Eamon,my bike came with avon venom and viper tyres,I have found them to be very good.

ScooterBob congrats on acquiring the nineth wonder of the world(King Kong was the eighth ;). Plus the greatest machine ever built,not even the hadron collider comes close.
not even Sharon Stones leg opening shots more mesmerizing than the Bullet.
(might be exagerating with the Sharon Stone bit ;D.) but you get the jist.

Anyway when will we become the three bulleteers?

ps  Arise Sir BulletBob!

Who's going to be the other E F I ..ng  one?.

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 01:02:46 pm
Keep those reports coming, as it keeps me motivated toward my goal.  ;)
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 08:23:41 am
Hi All
I too have just (in the process) of buying a new Enfield EFI (DL),( i'm in Yorkshire (UK).
Don't laugh but mine is still in the dealers waiting for the new redg. plates.
I haven't riden seriously for 35/40 years so consider myself  a novice but seriously looking foreward to riding -but at the moment I will be a fair weather rider.
Do want to eventually customise this bike with what ever items can be obtained from various sources
Regards Martyn

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:36 pm
Brother Martyn, as others soon will, I welcome you to the forum and wish you many, many miles of happy riding, when you finally get your EFI DL, that is!

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 06:13:17 pm
Hi All
I too have just (in the process) of buying a new Enfield EFI (DL),( i'm in Yorkshire (UK).
I haven't riden seriously for 35/40 years so consider myself  a novice but seriously looking foreward to riding -but at the moment I will be a fair weather rider.
Do want to eventually customise this bike with what ever items can be obtained from various sources
Regards Martyn

Welcome Marrtyn (I’m a newbee brit on this forum too) - I guess you will be getting a Mar 09 plate for your EFI!
I’m holding on to see what the C5 is like (hopefully be in the dealers later this month) is like (in the flesh).
Probably can’t really afford it at present due to moving house this year – so may end up with an older Bullet instead.
Not had a bike myself for a good many years due to health issues but looking forward to getting back in the saddle this year.

Anyway – enjoy those Yorkshire country roads & keep us posted on your progress
Cheers
Nick
Cheers
Nick

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 07:22:24 pm
"– 2 simple mods (IMHO) that it’s crying out for is addition of a single saddle & the 50’s style exhaust (you can remove the baffle) or the Goldie style exhaust. "  UK-Classics

Here, here, Brother Nick!!!

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 03:12:42 pm
Yes – looking at the DL variant, it’s maybe a more attractive option for some than the C5. It comes with a kick (which is sadly missing from the C5) & I guess most electra add-ons will fit OK out the box.
It will interesting to compare them – I’m really looking forward to seeing the C5 in the flesh hopefully within the next few weeks! Maybe take a trip to sometime soon to WS & see all the variants!
Cheers
Nick

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:44 pm
Hi
I went to the NEC Bike show in Nov. and compared all of the models on show-- I was always interested in the previous Electra DL.But looking at the C5 they look very nice, but for the extra cash you get very little more.Nice paint job, slightly smaller wheels, I didn't like this models solo saddle ( compared to the British style solo saddle)- no offence to you Americans; and of course no kick start. However I think I prefere the C5 over the (standard) Electra. So for me it had to be the DL.
Hard decisions to make!!
Martyn

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 04:59:03 pm
Couldn’t make the NEC bike show last year. It will be useful to compare so I’ll wait a short while & arrange a trip to WS (not too far away from me).
I’m not sure what is drawing me to these new bikes – I keep changing my ‘scope’ (over the years) & upping my requirements/aspirations. I have a fairly long commute at present which wouldn’t be too much fun on any bike so I’m after a RE for weekend trips & ride outs (plus a bit of tinkering & custom stuff) – looking at it realistically £4000 is a lot just for a weekend toy! But if I keep it for years & years & get loads of pleasure out of it I suppose I could justify it!
Just need to convince the misses now  ::)
Or should I just get myself an old iron barrel 500? Decisions …decisions :-\
Cheers
Nick

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:55 am
There will be aftermarket exhausts for the G-5 and the C-5 (Of course only for off-road racing use) almost as soon as the bikes are introduced.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 08:51:27 am
There will be aftermarket exhausts for the G-5 and the C-5 (Of course only for off-road racing use) almost as soon as the bikes are introduced.

Yes - of course only for off-road use!

I understand the UK destined C5 bikes have been delayed afew more weeks (still on a container somewhere) & are due in the dealers early March now. The first batch coming in are all black & will fill pre-existing orders. Seems like there could end up being a bit of a waiting list - certainly if you have ordered a non-black one. :-\
Cheers
Nick

mark

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 12:37:00 pm
Hi Bulleteers,

I actually like the look of the exhaust pipe.
Its torpedo shape gives the bike a look and character that makes it stand out from other bikes...is'nt that why we have them?.

As I have said before it's a bike from the fifties ..the two thousand and fifties ;D

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:54 pm
We are already seeing lists forming for both the G-5 and the C-5. We are only selling them through dealers that have completed training. Those that have not for whatever reason will have Lean-Burns however. Among the dealers who have completed training we think our first several shipments will be spoken for. If you are interested I suggest you contact your dealer now and make arrangements.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 09:12:50 am
it sounds like a case of "get em while they are hot"!
Cheers
Nick

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 09:22:26 am
hi Mark - glad u enjoying your new efi - the look is purely personal - im a bit of a tinkerer & the joy of REs is that u can mod & tinker 2 get the look u like - the silencer on c5 just not 2 my liking - bike still looks great though cheers
Cheers
Nick

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 05:08:35 pm
Hi All
Regards Martyn
Have just handed my insurance documents for road taxation, to my dealer. This means I could have my hands on my new RE Efi DL, perhaps by Saturday if not, definitely Wednesday.
The first job I intend to do before it goes anywhere near a road is to give a coating of ACF 50. I then have to get over the fact that I have only riden for a day in the last 40 years,--and get on and ride, Oooha!!!
Martyn

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 09:52:41 pm
Be very careful Marrtyn, the drivers on both sides of the Pond are different now and after 40 years so are your reflexes.  :(

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 03:44:34 am
"Be very careful Marrtyn, the drivers on both sides of the Pond are different now and after 40 years so are your reflexes."   :(  PhilJ

Outstanding!!!

Papa Juan

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:45 am
Yes - just take it easy there 'old boy'!

I thought I'd been out of things a while - this will be my first bike in about 14 years - luckily I live a bit out in the sticks & there isn't too much traffic around. I was also considering taking some 're-training' - but that may be a bit embarressing! Guess I'll see how much I remember  :-\
Cheers
Nick

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 02:30:25 pm
Yes do take it easy.
The best for you.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 06:37:18 pm
Oh how very right you all are. Many thanks for your best wishes.
I do long for a long open road free of all other traffic.-well sort of -you know what I mean.
Martyn

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 02:52:09 pm
Having now just completed my first 101 miles, on my Bullet Efi DL. I am becoming more aware of how tedious this running in can be! The first 300 miles, no more the 1/2 throttle opening, and no more than 40 mph,( I'm sure my mileometer is running in reverse). Then a further 300 miles, at a little faster speed, at 3/4 throttle opening, and then on top of that 400 more miles, still with care.
 Constantly watching the speedo, listening to the engine sounds for noises which you imagine shouldn't be heared. Also being conscious of not running too slow in too high a gear-which I understand could also be harmfull to a new engine. On top of this of course is the normal riding situations, with the added realisation that you are probably holding up the traffic.
Ah well, it will be worth it in the end.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 03:55:52 pm
If you have not already done your first oil and filter change, I'd do one now.

The first oil change is the most important, because it rinses away any foreign matter that may have been in the engine after assembly, and also any burrs that may have worn off in the initial running.
An early first oil change is a very good preventive measure.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 04:50:50 pm
It seems the factory has opted for an extremely conservative approach to break-in.
When Kevin and the motorcycle magazine group went to India for test riding the UCE they took the bike off the assembly line and drove the by-gosh out of them with no failures at all.

The construction methods on the AVL were different than the iron barrel and the UCE even uses more advanced methods, as I understand it, than the AVL.

The AVL called for the same break-in procedure as the iron. I ignored that and just drove it sensibly. Now after 10K miles have not had any failures of any kind. Wonder why they don't set up a reasonable break-in.

prof_stack

Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:38 pm
It seems the factory has opted for an extremely conservative approach to break-in.
When Kevin and the motorcycle magazine group went to India for test riding the UCE they took the bike off the assembly line and drove the by-gosh out of them with no failures at all.

The construction methods on the AVL were different than the iron barrel and the UCE even uses more advanced methods, as I understand it, than the AVL.

The AVL called for the same break-in procedure as the iron. I ignored that and just drove it sensibly. Now after 10K miles have not had any failures of any kind. Wonder why they don't set up a reasonable break-in.

Sometimes the break-in procedure is designed for the rider as much as the motorcycle.  That is, to get the rider fully accustomed to the bike and its handling capabilities.  I think it is a lawyer (barrister?) demanded part of the owner's manual. 

I agree that it doesn't seem as necessary for the UCE as the previous models.  When I bought the Moto Guzzi 750 last summer, the shop owner (author of "Guzziology" and owner of the #1 selling shop for Guzzis and Aprilias in the US) said to "go easy and keep it under 5k revs".  Worked for me.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 06:49:10 pm
The Professor is right! A gentle break-in for BOTH the bike and the rider will pay off in the long run. I prefer to use the bike for short errands in the beginning - then allow a little "leg stretching" as it limbers up. This works well for the venerable "pig iron" engine as they are TIGHT from the box. A gentle break-in here will last a lifetime. The UCE is much better machined and improved in every respect - BUT - a bit of gentle treatment in the beginning couldn't hurt, could it? Also - as mentioned earlier, the UCE has a debris screen in the bottom of the sump. These tend to collect raw bits from the inside of the engine (burrs on gears, leftover machining bits, etc ...) and need to be monitored. If your dealer hasn't put new oil in it for you and cleaned the screen - you should between 50 and 100 miles just to make SURE. I have seen a couple of them come out nearly as bad as a new Ducati! Hahaha!!

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 01:10:14 am
Brother Scoot, I find it interesting that you bring up the venerable Ducati.  My comment to Richard Evans (R&D Enfield, Westminster, SC) was that the ignition procedure, sounds and behavior of the UCE were like those of the Ducatis.  Rich said that there were similar remarks made at the EFI Class in Faribault, MN.  You were in that particular class; what is your opinion with respect to these similarities?

Papa Juan

deejay

Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 01:11:38 am
holy hell, just hammer on the bastard already!

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 07:46:05 am
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new DL - It's a great looking bike & will appeal to some more than the C5 (along with the £500 saving over a C5).

Yes, running in periods can be tedious (it's a long time since I had something that new) - even though there are postings saying the new bike doesn't really need it I think it is worthwihile - you are a tenth of the way there! - if you look after her, she'll look after you - I guess it's the same with women  :D :D

Also as you have not been on a bike for many years this period (as stated by others in the thread) helps you get to know the sound/feeling/handling of the bike.

You could always do a slowest 'John o groats - Landsend' trip & get it run in over a weekend  ;D

Keep us posted
cheers
Cheers
Nick

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 01:46:26 pm
Brother Scoot, I find it interesting that you bring up the venerable Ducati.  My comment to Richard Evans (R&D Enfield, Westminster, SC) was that the ignition procedure, sounds and behavior of the UCE were like those of the Ducatis.  Rich said that there were similar remarks made at the EFI Class in Faribault, MN.  You were in that particular class; what is your opinion with respect to these similarities?

Cabo - The new UCE IS similar the Ducati singles that we all lusted after in the "bad ol' daze" in that it is a "runnin' muthah" - Heeheehee!! It DOES have that European Big Single flavor about it, for certain. It still is all Enfield, tho - no doubt about it. The whole rig is just such a quantum light year leap of improvement in every way, it's sort of hard to describe. My reference to the Ducati debris screen was because on the first oil change on mine (Ducati 900SP) - I thought the whole engine was on the screen .... There were chunks on it big enough to have parts numbers stamped in 'em! The RE isn't nearly that bad, but it does "throw fines" just like a good Ducati will ..... I just wanted all the new UCE owners to be mindful of this.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 02:12:59 pm

I owned several Ducati motorcycles back in  the "old days in the 70s". They were all twins. I also worked on the "pit crew" for the Tunstalls back then, when Malcolme was racing the 750, and his dad Syd won the Daytona #1 plate on his 250.
But, one day last year I was riding my Bullet on a twisty road in Burke's Garden, VA, and I noticed how much the Bullet felt like my old Ducati 750 Sport. The Bullet isn't as fast, but it had that same kind of feel like a "locomotive", and that deep rumble of the exhaust, and the nimble handling. I remember thinking at the time, "Wow, this thing really feels like my old Ducati 750".
And that's a high compliment, because out of all the bikes  I ever owned, the Ducati 750 from the 70s is at the top of the list.

I think that the Bullet is one of the most under-appreciated and overlooked bikes in all of motorcycling. Uninformed people dismiss it "out of hand" by looking at the spec sheet, and never get to experience what these Bullets can really do.
The Bullet absolutely a jewel of a motorcycle

And it seems that the UCE is a more refined version for modern folk. It will allow more people "in on the secret", without them having to do the wrench-twisting. I like the old, but there's plenty of folks out there who'll want the new.

For those who haven't heard about it, the new UCE frame had design input, and perhaps build input, from the same people who do the Ducati frames. And that's certainly a good pedigree.
The old Ducati 750, unbeknownst to many people, had it's frame designed by the famous British racing frame builder Colin Seeley, and built by Ducati.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:28:23 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 02:57:37 pm
Brothers Scoot and Ace, I thank you for your feedback and confirmation about the the non-technician feelings I had about the UCE sounds and behavior!  And, Ace, I agree on the RE handling points -- Perla is a terrific dancer, also!  But, my friend, when you get to ask the UCE for a dance you're gonna pair up with a prima ballerina!   And, I ask you to keep in mind that the G5 I rode was wearing wooden blocks (Avon Road Masters) for shoes!   ;)

Papa Juan

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 10:09:34 am
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new DL - It's a great looking bike & will appeal to some more than the C5 (along with the £500 saving over a C5).

Yes, running in periods can be tedious (it's a long time since I had something that new) - even though there are postings saying the new bike doesn't really need it I think it is worthwihile - you are a tenth of the way there! - if you look after her, she'll look after you - I guess it's the same with women  :D :D

Also as you have not been on a bike for many years this period (as stated by others in the thread) helps you get to know the sound/feeling/handling of the bike.

You could always do a slowest 'John o groats - Landsend' trip & get it run in over a weekend  ;D

Keep us posted
cheers
I totally agree with you. Steady as she goes initially, and gradully build up (oil changes included) to build a good foundation for many miles of sweet running.
Look after a good women and she will look after you (as somebody already said that?)
Landsend/John o Groats run sounds good
Regards to all

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: April 20, 2009, 06:09:18 pm
The Professor is right! A gentle break-in for BOTH the bike and the rider will pay off in the long run. I prefer to use the bike for short errands in the beginning - then allow a little "leg stretching" as it limbers up. This works well for the venerable "pig iron" engine as they are TIGHT from the box. A gentle break-in here will last a lifetime. The UCE is much better machined and improved in every respect - BUT - a bit of gentle treatment in the beginning couldn't hurt, could it? Also - as mentioned earlier, the UCE has a debris screen in the bottom of the sump. These tend to collect raw bits from the inside of the engine (burrs on gears, leftover machining bits, etc ...) and need to be monitored. If your dealer hasn't put new oil in it for you and cleaned the screen - you should between 50 and 100 miles just to make SURE. I have seen a couple of them come out nearly as bad as a new Ducati! Hahaha!!

Am I glad to read this post.  Did first oil change at 200 miles on my G5.  The pictures show the rest.  Could not post all pictures because too big - so splitting them in 2 posts.  There was "burr" on the studs of drain plug and screen cap.

Oil came out dark

Oil filter was dark.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 06:14:49 pm
First oil change at 200 miles on G5.

"Burr" collected on the stud of drain plug and screen cap. Screen itself had a few particles but not a large collection.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #55 on: April 20, 2009, 08:22:01 pm

From ACE - "I think that the Bullet is one of the most under-appreciated and overlooked bikes in all of motorcycling. Uninformed people dismiss it "out of hand" by looking at the spec sheet, and never get to experience what these Bullets can really do.The Bullet absolutely a jewel of a motorcycle"

I couldn't agree more with you, ACE! Perhaps we can "fix" that by being out on 'em a LOT! I'm braving the "30-something" temps to ride one of mine every day. I get a lot of looks and stares - and I'll prattle on fr hour to explain one. They are, as I like to say, more fun than shootin' fish in a bathtub ...... !!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2009, 11:25:50 pm
Thanks for the pictures.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: April 22, 2009, 01:43:05 am
"They are, as I like to say, more fun than shootin' fish in a bathtub ...... !!"  ScooterBob

Fun they are... and a great way to enjoy, again, the single life!!!   :D

Papa Juan

mark

• Scooter
Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:52 pm
Hi fellow Bulleteers!

Not been on for a while,as I have been out and about on the bike as much as possible.
After 3000 or so miles,the bike is just superb.

I have serviced the bike myself,twice infact.believe me guys if I can do it,anybody can.
The avon roadrider tyres that came with the bike are very good,wet or dry.

I regulary go across dartmoor,with a couple of friends on their Harley's,and the bullet out performs them everytime,you can just throw the bike around .it is just so stable.

Anyway it is sunny and you know where I'm going.........bye! ;D

Mark.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 03:22:35 pm
Thanks for the report, you lucky dog.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 03:33:15 pm
I have serviced the bike myself,twice infact.believe me guys if I can do it,anybody can..

How did you get on with changing the oil filter with all the O rings washers and spring? Has the engine changed much after 3000 miles? I took my C5 in for its first service today and brought back the dealers demo G5 with 1500 miles on the speedo. It was a lot better in every way, quieter, more powerful and smoother (and I thought mine was good at 350 miles).

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 03:39:32 pm
Rusty, what are your impressions after 350 miles?
Iron Butt Association

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 08:42:39 pm
Rusty, what are your impressions after 350 miles?

Very good impressions so far. I don't know whether the bike is good enough (in terms of build quality) to attract first time owners in the numbers that RE would like but I do enjoy the C5 riding experience. I have basic mechanical skills and spent a long time looking at the 2009 range so I knew what to expect and was happy to dust of the spanners. Owners of other brands will expect everything to be perfect from day one and it just isn't like that. Not a problem for me but it might be for a long term sales strategy.

Would I recommend a C5 to a non Enfield owner attracted to the styling? I doubt it, but to someone who doesn't mind working on a new bike, yes definitely. Worth every penny of the additional £500 over a G5 in my opinion.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 08:53:04 pm
Sounds good to me.
Iron Butt Association