Author Topic: Making that RE go faster......  (Read 6165 times)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
on: September 04, 2007, 03:11:34 pm
How many of you have modified your bikes beyond air filter, jetting, and exhaust changes? If so what have you done. I am especially interested in the electronic ignition and if it will improve performance. Maybe Kevin or Rhett could give a little input on this also......thanks.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:18:36 pm
Kevin will be by and I'm sure he's seen some interesting mods in that direction.  Tait and Jim do most of CMW's experimental mods so I'll pass your question along to them, too.
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:26:20 pm
Performance mods, and upgrades, (in any engine, powerplant, or machinery, generally), are the "engine" (yeah, the pun), of efficiency; which, unless we're racing or competing for profit, should be what is sought after, shouldn't it?  Cost effectiveness, long term enjoyment, a worthwhile and learned hobby? 
I've done the basic upgrades, but have retained the points ignition, as I have 2 spare sets anyway.  I never punch the idiot button, and it always starts on the 1st or 2nd kick. 
I will, in the future, upgrade to a little bigger carb;  there is a brit bike outfit now putting out side draft Mikunis,   verrry nice.

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:55:24 pm
I did the following mods to my '04:  K&N filter, Classic exhaust header with small megaphone canister.  The head has been milled 035 and lapped to the cylinder for a tighter fit.  I then did a home version port and polish job and polished the valves.  I found that there was quite a bit of friction with the rocker arms and how they sit in the rocker boxes so these were cleaned up to reduce friction{parasitic drag).  So far the bore&stroke are stock as are the cams and carb.  I also still have points.  My philosopy with my Bullet was to look at any weaknesses from the factory and address these first.  I have taken small steps to observe the results.  Although my top end speed has increased to a small level my mods have impressed me with improvements in responsivenes and exceleration.  My improvements warranted installing the heavier clutch springs.  I have the Continental kit on the bike which lowered the weight some but that is surely an expensive mod!  Pretty one tho!  I think my next improvement will be the Bosch coil and electonic ignition.  Are these mods bringing decent results?

deejay

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:17 am
I basically derestricted my bullet, back to its original specs (sorta)... just replaced everything that was choking the engine... exhaust, air filter, etc...

Now I'm seriously researching the benefit of doing the 612cc conversion kit. Seems to be quite a few installation issues though. Performance seems good, once it's in.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:25:15 pm
compression = horsepower. 6.5/ 1 is really low,  really!  The big end is not designed for much more than stock, but  the 8.5/ 1 535 kit should be safe. Noted this a torque engine, and will not handle high rpm's without big end modifications.. .BIG $$$.    Low restriction in & out makes notable improvements once the jetting is sorted out.  Electronic ignitions help a little, but not the best dollar value vs what is gained. they help the idle smooth out, but good ole points are reliable,cheap,and work well over the rpm limits. The fastest way to make any bike faster is weight.  My poor bullet caries my "Beechwood aged"  belly around, Funny how you can pick up 100# in less than 40 years after high school ;D !!!
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:41 pm
Hi Dogbone, funny how those pounds sneak up on us, I have put on a few myself but am still pretty light for an old fart. Got to looking around on the CMW website the other day and "found" a 535 piston in the sale section. Only 80 bucks!!! I have been buying stuff as I found it on sale or cheap for the past few years. I have gotten most of the hop up stuff I need, piston, cam, hd oil pump, hd valve springs, big  carb, bigger gear, etc... Have been talking to my dealer about port and polish with bigger valves for my head, its pretty expensive at $600 but I am considering it. Am hoping to end up with 30-35 hp when done, about the same as my Yamaha SR500. I put on a goldie exhaust, K&N filter, and rejetted a few years ago and it really helped a lot. Just a few more goodies (lightweight valve train parts) and I will be ready to start building.......Dew.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 02:15:31 pm
That piston did not come w/ rings, I have been waiting for a set of standard 535 rings for over a month.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 10:53:44 pm
I'm going to take the piston to the local speed/machine shop and try to have them fit me up with a set of perfect circle rings. They make rings for almost everything ever made from what I understand......Dew.

gapl53

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:53:18 pm
They will probably say that they want your cylinder to measure to get the proper size rings

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 05:48:54 pm
I'm building a 500 Bobber out of a "95" 500.  First thing I did was get rid of everything that didn't make it stop or go.  Converted a much modified "77"  KZ front end to work so I could get rid of the cask and have disk brakes (Ebay!).  Simplified the wiring (kept the points so far), NO Battery, signals, switches or any other clutter, just the basics with a main on/off switch.  Took the stock head and polished/ ported it, had very large Kibblewhite valves installed with Ampro guides.  I am using a long header pipe with a small baffle for my exhaust.  To feed it, I am using a Mikuni 34 mm flatslide carb with a velocity stack.  I'm thinking about converting it back to a RH shift to get rid of the slop.  Right now the engine is out and the frame is getting ready to be hard tailed.  When it is all said and done, should be much perkier than when I got her.
geichal

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 03:08:53 pm
Man, I would like to see some pics of that bad boy when you are done.....Dew.

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 01:35:08 pm
I'll post photos when she gets back into motorcycle form.
geichal