Author Topic: Squeaky clutch  (Read 4350 times)

No. 5

• Scooter
on: September 04, 2007, 02:44:44 pm
200 miles after adjusting the clutch and changing all the oils and everything OK (it's breaking in quite well), something new. When stopped in neutral and the clutch in, the gearbox squeaks. a chirping kind of squeak in the rhythm of the engine. I shift into first; squeaking stops (clutch still in). I pull the clutch in to shift to second, it squeaks. This time at road speed (squeak stays constant as i throttle down and shift). As i come to a stop, squeak..squeak....squeak, until I'm stopped. shift to neutral and the squeaking starts, let out the clutch(still in neutral) squeaking stops.
I changed all the oils and adjusted the clutch again, still squeaks. What to do? tia

bigedf150

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:11:07 pm
check your clutch lifter arm adjustment,which is under the 5 speed cover held on with two hex head screws. you have a jam nut,which will have to be lossened first then back of the slotted screw cause its probably tight, then bring it back clockwise until it just touches, then back it off agin just a little then tighten the jam nut..replace cover with blue locktitie on the threads, i did mine with the bike running and adjusted it until the problem was gone...good luck

No. 5

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:50:41 am
Thank you for the info. That was my first adjustment to get the shifting smoothed out. It seems I can't get all the drag out. But even backed off it still squeaks. Dirty clutch pad or warped/dirty plates may be the culprit on the other end. But with this clutch design, I don't know if you can get it free of ALL drag. I think the noise is from the push pin, or 'slotted screw'. I think it's off center, causing the squeak. I'll have to go in, again, polish the pin, do the dishes and cross the fingers. :) (goin' through the fluid....sheeesh) After a while I may even know what I'm doin'.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:04:39 pm
I count myself lucky. My X shifted smoothly from day one and has never been a problem. However, after reading posts of the problems others have had, I'm getting a bit uneasy. Am I living on borrowed time? Hope everything doesn't break at once.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 04:19:54 pm
I count myself lucky. My X shifted smoothly from day one and has never been a problem. However, after reading posts of the problems others have had, I'm getting a bit uneasy. Am I living on borrowed time? Hope everything doesn't break at once.

I've had no problems with mine whatsoever (now over 2700 miles). Silky smooth.

bigedf150

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 07:28:41 pm
check your clutch lifter arm adjustment,which is under the 5 speed cover held on with two hex head screws. you have a jam nut,which will have to be lossened first then back of the slotted screw cause its probably tight, then bring it back clockwise until it just touches, then back it off agin just a little then tighten the jam nut..replace cover with blue locktitie on the threads, i did mine with the bike running and adjusted it until the problem was gone...good luck
okay if you have tried the adjustment, try taking the slotted screw/jam nut apart, pull the ball bearings off the shaft with a magnet so you dont lose them, grease em, and reinstal everything.
maybe its not gettin enough grease/lube to the bearings cause its gotta go every where else first... ;)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 01:51:56 am
Make sure that the clutch rod which goes from the right side of the  to the left side is lubricated. The the trick is to adjust it "as tight as you dare". the adjustment should always be done at the transmission not at the control. It needs to be tight, but not too tight. In other words you need the slightest amount of free play in the system, but one a bit.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com