Author Topic: Ride to 'Box Hill' on Vixen  (Read 2182 times)

staib

• Scooter
on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:10 pm
Although it has been on the chilly side in recent days (and getting colder) yesterday's pale sunlight beckoned. I felt encouraged to wheel Vixen out from her garage 'lair' into the sun. Check the tire pressures and add 5psi to the rear.  Drive chain adjustment is still spot on.  I have no idea what the 'choke' does on the Amal concentric, because all it ever needs is a good old 'tickle' till the petrol drips from the carb, and a firm kick thumps her back into life.

The threat of a backfire and an ankle snapping moment adds to the excitement!  Once the motor is warm, it settles down to its usual slow heartbeat rhythm. Where to? I have recently acquired a neat 'image merging' utility called PTGui - good for panoramas and that sort of thing.  So, Lumix in my pocket, a trip to Box Hill - famous for its panoramic vistas - seemed a sensible choice.

Approaching Chessington I toyed with some sportsbikes, catching and re-catching them in the traffic, as their relative inexperience (threading past cars) gave me a momentary advantage.  Once on the open road though it was 'game over' - they were off in a blur!  But were they enjoying the dappled sunlight?  Maybe.

But once on the back roads, just South of the M25 that circles London, Vixen was in her element.  Her modest bhp offset by her torque, allowing us to power up hills, and awaken sleepy villages.

I stopped for a quick stream side photo shoot - HERE

Being a Saturday, the car park was fairly empty - though I spotted one other biker - a Triumph.  Probably doing what I was.  I then took that crazy Zig Zag Road up to the look out at the top of Box Hill. l must have passed a dozen pedal cyclists doing the same thing.  Hard men, wearing lycra  :D

On the way up, I pulled over for a bike and hill shot - never easy - I should have used a flash.

The view from the top was hazy, and into the low sun, so not ideal for picture taking.  An infra red filter would have transformed the view as it cuts through haze like a knife through butter.

But I managed a few shots, including that panorama shot

Riding back with the low winter sun behind us, our shadow raced along the road's undulations, stretching way out ahead of us - I wish I could have captured that moment too, but it was awkward, and my hands were cold.

Back home in one piece, Vixen cleaned and back in her lair, I am pleased to be in the warmth, but even more pleased to have cleared away all those Christmas cobwebs!

Cheers chaps - I hope you have all enjoyed some Christmas rides as well!
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:51 pm
Well, Dr. Staib (1), you have put together yet another very enjoyable written and, this time, pictorial report, as well.  Your bike is stunningly beautiful!

(1) PhD in English Literature and Photography
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:42:15 am
Very nice shots and a nice ride also.  Did you get the free version of PTGui to try out or did you spring for the full package?  I use a demo stitching program from autostitch.net that is very impressive.  Amazing as to what is available at no cost.

I have recently acquired a neat 'image merging' utility called PTGui - good for panoramas and that sort of thing.  So, Lumix in my pocket, a trip to Box Hill - famous for its panoramic vistas - seemed a sensible choice.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Bath Bullet

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:25:43 am
thats a beautifull bike you have there, and now you've got me going again!
I should soon be moving all being well, so Harry is all W.D'ed up, but I think I will just have to take him out for one moreCaithness ride..............................
Looking forward to 2009 though and exploring Somerset/Avon country on the Bullet.
Best regards
Terry
BITING THE BULLET:  2001 500 CLASSIC living in Sunny Bat, Somerset
Also 2008 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE 865 EFI

staib

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:32:42 am
Papa Juan!  You are far too generous with your praise, but your kind appreciation makes that ride report worthwhile  :)

Len - yes, I have the full version.  I had used PTGui back in the day when it was a free (beta) front end to the equally free PanoTools. All the 'control points' had to be added manually. It was tedious.

This TREE shot is made of two images stacked vertically - somehow the program stitched together all those branches by itself in a matter of seconds!

A Scots Bullet exploring Somerset/Avon will be a mighty fine thing.  But if it was me I would make the most of Scotland's majestic scenery whilst I was still there!

Cheers all.
"Vixen" 500cc Royal Enfield Electra Classic
"Blondie" Piaggio X9 500cc maxi-scooter
"Zoomer" 50cc Honda Ruckus

Previous rides include: H-D Sportster, BMW R65 and K100, various Hondas and a Ducati

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:45:11 pm
Staib,  it is 15 degrees Fahrenheit in Philadelphia Pennsylvania New Years day. Your photos and essay really perked me up. Lovely bike and beautiful country. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!  cochi :)