Author Topic: "09 Observations and questions ~  (Read 2868 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 26, 2008, 08:26:02 pm
Put my first 50 miles on yesterday.  Overall, the bike is a nice size; somewhere between an SR500 and a GB500.  I live in the mountains and this is what this bike seems to be made for.  I do miss a tach, though.  My old Beemers let me know when I'm lugging, but this Bullet poer curve is - well, not a power curve.  Singles seem to be as flat as a table top- which is good, but it must be lugging in 5th gear at 40 to 45 mph, right?  Wrong?   
Anyhoo- hairpins and tight turns are a joy.  In this environment, I rarely get above 40 mph anyway, so it's not a huge scarifice to keep the revs down, although (as mentioned), I would normally be in 2nd or 3rd more of the time.
Brakes seem fine, and I thought I noticed some slowing effect while backing DOWN the driveway- another thing old Beemers have a hard time with.

Has anyone here made any mods on their bike?  I have a few questions at the link below.  Thought I would include the double post because I want to get all the input I can;

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3205.0.html

Thanks for any help ~
Run what ya brung

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:25:30 am
Yes, 40mph is pretty low speed for top gear, and it could be doing some lugging at that speed in 5th.

Nice looking bike you have there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:37:24 am
Put another 50+ miles on today.  Have discovered that the center stand needs to come off as I'm scraping it in turns. 
Also, the rear shocks need to go.  I'm thinking Progessive- unless anyone has other recommendations.
Going to superbike bars- With the current seating arrangement, my hands are at a bad angle with stock bars.
Princess and the Pea Syndrome...
Run what ya brung

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:16:00 am
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your new Bullet, UncleErnie!

I send you both a heartfelt: WOWZAA!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:49 pm
Hey Uncle Ernie,
Tuesday looks like it is going to be a beautiful day. Want to ride the Blue Ridge parkway?
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:21:40 am
Definitely maybe!

I've got the tail ight off and I'm making one.  Have to order the turn signals.  My brake perch broke ?! and I have to wait for Tracy to send a new one.  (The pot metal just split.  Can't imagine why- I havcent crashed...Yet)  While I wait for the perch, I'm going to change the bars. 

Can't imagine I'll get the perch in time.  I can use the brake, but I want to be cautious.  I don't want to pull the brake and have it come off in my hand.  I'm assuming I'll get it for free under warranty.

How many miles on yours now?
Run what ya brung

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:59:22 am
Definitely maybe!

I've got the tail ight off and I'm making one.  Have to order the turn signals.  My brake perch broke ?! and I have to wait for Tracy to send a new one.  (The pot metal just split.  Can't imagine why- I havcent crashed...Yet)  While I wait for the perch, I'm going to change the bars. 

Can't imagine I'll get the perch in time.  I can use the brake, but I want to be cautious.  I don't want to pull the brake and have it come off in my hand.  I'm assuming I'll get it for free under warranty.

How many miles on yours now?

Not quite 800. Too many bikes. ;)
I lost 3 weeks when my battery died (left the key on).
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

fun2drum

• FUN 2 DRUM
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:20 pm
...I have to wait for Tracy to send a new one...

Are you talking about Tracy Fuller in Marion?  If so, you can trust him to do what he says... and the entertainment value of dealing with Tracy is pretty good, too.    I hope you and B R Realtor can join us on one of our infamous rides this spring on the Parkway or out toward Lake Lure.  Good times. 
The Family Fleet:
2008 Royal Enfield Electra
2002 Buell Blast
1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
...and a couple of boring and more practicle family vehicles that I won't mention here.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:13:30 am
Got a couple of vibration isolators from Graingers today- I'm making my own tail light. 
Got 100 miles on... Tracy said those perches break fairly often.  I SHOULD be OK, but I just don't feel 100% riding with a bad perch.  I use the front brake most.

I hope to have my first service by spring.
Run what ya brung