Author Topic: Kick Starter Problem  (Read 1770 times)

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
on: December 22, 2008, 01:47:55 am
I have a 2006 Electra.  While I had my spark plug out to check it, I decided to spray a
little fogging oil inside....with the spark plug still out I pushed the Kick Start pedal with my
hand, thinking I was lubricating the cylinder & piston until it reached the final (TDC) position.
The pedal moved normally until it reached the bottom position.

However, now my kick start pedal will travel about 4" from the top position with no resistance until it stops.  It is not moving the piston at all.  I just have about 4" of play in the pedal and it stops. 

Put the spark plug back in (disconnected) and no difference.

I didn't want to try the electric start fearing I might damage or further damage something.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:20:52 am
Does it have full range of motion with the clutch pulled in? Is it in neutral?  You can determine if the binding is happening in the engine or gearbox that way.

If it does move easy with the clutch engaged and your in neutral I would just put my weight on it and pull the decomp lever. It should push through. If not you have bigger issues...

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:32:57 am
i'd almost bet you hit your clutch..  b4 starting I always pull in the clutch, to and kick it over to de clutch the clutch..  the plates stick..

try that.. pull in the clutch and kick it over a few times..  with your foot not your hand unless you want a broken arm

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:34:00 am
It is in neutral, and I tried it with the clutch in...same thing about 4" of play and it stops.  I haven't
tried to force yet.

Can't imagine I did damage to the engine, I rode it yesterday with no problem at all.

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:37:31 am
i'd almost bet you hit your clutch..  b4 starting I always pull in the clutch, to and kick it over to de clutch the clutch..  the plates stick..

try that.. pull in the clutch and kick it over a few times..  with your foot not your hand unless you want a broken arm

I can try tomorrow with a little more "gusto", I've just never felt the Kick Starter just Stop like that.
I am new to this bike and I didn't want to force anything....

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:40:56 am
Your pawn might be hung up or busted  on your KS,  I have never been inside the trans so I don't know.  You could put it into first and roll the tire with the clutch pulled in and then out. It might move things and free it up.  After that I would try to force it. It might just pop into place.  Of course I tend to be a brute about things...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:45 am
Some combination of moving it around while in gear and using a little extra force got it moving again.   Probably never was anything really wrong with it, just me being overly cautious.
Thanks a lot!