Author Topic: UCE's Kick starter  (Read 20052 times)

LJRead

on: December 20, 2008, 05:10:46 pm
Have been doing a bit of thinking, of putting two and two together. 

) Now first of all, Kevin has been remarkably silent on the issue of bikes showing up in Europe with no kick starter. Why the silence - I'm sure Kevin knows the facts, he is right there near the top of UCE development. 

2) Now we know from Kevin that the UCE uses a nearly identical gear train for the transmission, even though they are now contained within the engine itself, and not as a separate unit.

3) We also know that the most likely thing to go wrong with our present transmissions is the kick start pawl and spring assembly.

4) If the pawl or spring breaks in our transmissions, it is a quick fix.

5) But if the pawl or spring assembly breaks in the UCE wouldn't it mean splitting the casing to get at it?  A big job, I should think.

6) And if they broke, wouldn't there be pieces of pawl-spring and possibly other things as well flying around the crankcase doing further damage.

Ah, I see two and two added up to six - well that's my thoughts on it, any better ideas on why they would subtract a perfectly good kick start system from a highly retro bike?

LJ

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:21:06 pm
 Examining pictures from an earlier post it seems that everything is contained behind the RT side cover. Shouldn't be that difficult to service. Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

prof_stack

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:28:52 pm
Examining pictures from an earlier post it seems that everything is contained behind the RT side cover. Shouldn't be that difficult to service. Blltrdr
Let's hope you are correct and even more so that there will be NO problems with the UCE starter(s).

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 07:16:57 pm
@Lawrence

That's what Kevin said about the kickstart on the 'Luddites' posting:

I got confirmation from the factory today that the G-5 and E-5 (which we haven't talked about much, it is basically the Electra with an EFI engine) will come with a kickstarter as standard equipment. So to summarize, the C-5 will NOT have a kickstarter, the E5 and G-5 will have a kickstarter.

Cheers, Johann

LJRead

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 06:27:25 am
Well guys, that answers some of the question, but still I would think there might be a problem of loose parts flying around in the event of pawl breakage, and then why one bike not having it, the other two having it?

Also, I would like to know how easy or difficult it will be to work on the transmission.  Just popping a side cover, maybe, but then again...

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 12:52:50 pm
We might have to wait for an explosive drawing to make it more than a guess.
But from the rear view of this cutaway motor you'll have to split the engine case itself after demounting the side covers to get access to the gear cluster.

Cheers, Johann

LJRead

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 05:23:34 pm
If that is true, and it seems likely, I would think that it represents a major disadvantage to the UCE over what we have.  Perhaps the pawl could be replaced, but recalling all the work people on this forum have done on their transmissions for one reason or another, means that such activities would be greatly hampered and likely need the help of a trained mechanic. Not in keeping with R Es tradition of DIY.

It becomes more like the Japanese bikes, extreme reliability, generally, but often a pain to work on.

I should probably keep quiet about such issues because it is unlikely that I would be able to afford one anyway with transport and duty costs.  I would be looking at a price of upwards of $14,000, possibly somewhat less if purchased from India, and anyway like what I have, but all aspects of R E interest me!

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:29:51 pm
What confuses me is why the Classic version has been produced without the kickstart - the bike looks great (besides  that gap between tyre & rear mudguard ::)
It just sort of looks a little naked without one!
Hopefully my local dealer should get one in in the next few months ;D
Cheers
Nick

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:54 pm
UK, please be sure to give us a full report after you test ride the new C5!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:33:13 pm
UK, please be sure to give us a full report after you test ride the new C5!!!

No probs Cabo  - I know the dealer has the Electra EFI (UCE) as a demo.  I'll try & find out when they will be getting the C5 - I heard it was january but these things normally tend to slip. I was only looking for something 2nd hand at half the price of a new c5 - but the look of it has really tempted me  ::)
Cheers
Nick

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:10:21 am

It appears the pawl and spring are located behind the RH cover, and inside a second cover plate. I don't believe you will need to split the cases to change a pawl or spring. Pic1262 shows the inside of the split case, but the gears are covering the kickstart mechanism. Pic1269 is of the case inside the RH cover. The long shaft extending out of the plate with the four screws is the KS shaft.

jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 01:42:05 pm
I  posted this somewhere else but it seems relevant here.

I was informed that all  UCE bikes will come with a kickstart - it appears that there were problems with the kickstart castings on the first lot of bikes received in UK - they were therefore removed from many of these UCE  bikes. This production problem is currently being rectified.
Cheers
Nick

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 04:51:36 pm

I was informed that all  UCE bikes will come with a kickstart - it appears that there were problems with the kickstart castings on the first lot of bikes received in UK - they were therefore removed from many of these UCE  bikes. This production problem is currently being rectified.

I guess that means I'm gonna have to start saving up!

doomed1

• The Pirate King
  • Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 03:31:22 am

WAT WAT WAT!

Kevin! confirmation????

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 05:06:36 am
Sorry boys and girls but here is a note from the person in charge of all exports at the factory:

The C5 will not come with a kick start. I don’t think there’s any change planned.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com