Author Topic: Where the oval airbox design for the new UCE came from.  (Read 5683 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Some have commented about the oval shaped airbox on the new C5 Classic UCE bike.

Here's a picture of a 1956 Royal Enfield Clipper 250, and I think this says it all.
And also explains why I've always thought that oval airbox was begging for a Royal Enfield cannon logo in the middle of it.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:50:37 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:32:02 am

... also explains why I've always thought that oval airbox was begging for a Royal Enfield cannon logo in the middle of it.

Ace, my thoughts, exactly, and plan if I do get a C5 in the future!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:29:15 am
I don't know if I ever mentioned this or not, but Ace has hit upon something. As you might expect the Clipper had a lot to do with the design of the C-5, look at the engine for another example. There is a stylized British WW11 Hurricane fighter plane wing thrown in as well.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:17:09 pm
@ace

The Crusader built in the 60's had also a unit construction engine with this smooth design.

Look at this 1959 RE Crusader Unit-Construction-Engine. Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Cheers, Johann

The Crusaders and Clippers from the late '50s and early '60s had Unit Construction Engines with this design.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:42:04 pm
And, something that escaped me in my first response (the old Cuban in me getting in the way, yet a again!), I would relocate the battery, as in Perla's case, and install an oval box in the current battery location to emulate the look of an oil tank present in some bobbers (not choppers!).  This "oval oil tank look" would require some "fabrication"; however, I believe it would further enhance the beauty of the C5! 
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Ukuvox

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 01:18:29 am
OK, I already wanted the C5 but the continuity has the history nut in me saying "MUST HAVE NOW!!!" ;)