Author Topic: Starting Problem with Bullet 500 Machismo AVL ./ Electic Start  (Read 1944 times)

chanderjeet

• Scooter
Hello Fellow Bulleteers,

Im from New Delhi, India and recently bought a new Royal 500 Machismo AVL Engine with Electic Start. Here is my problem that i need you advise with.

I can unable to kick start it most of the times, even when it is warm. (or hot)
The thumb start just buzzes and i have to accelerate a bit to get the engine started up.
At times, the engine dies off while shifting gears. I think i maybe doing it by revving it quicker when the clutch is pressed. I have to thumb start is a lot during traffic jams because i have to shift gears a lot.

- Its about a month and i have ridden it for 2500 kms already.
- I don't ride faster than prescribed limits. (60 - 70 max)
- It starts fine if i throttle it a bit while thumb starting but i dont wanna do that everything.
- It doesn't seem to engage the starter when i press the button sometimes.

I searched and read a similar thread about this in this forum but have tried those hints.

Anything you guys can think of ?

TIA
Chanderjeet

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:00:10 pm
Hello from Snowy Pa.! ;D
Your post is a little confusing, ??? but I think I kinda know what your talking about.
The motor is hard to start, mostly warm, when you come to an idle, it dies?
So that means, either the idle speed is too low, the air screw for the pilot circuit is in too far, (too lean), the pilot jet is too small, or you got an air restriction.
Also, now that I think of it, it could be too rich................................ ::)
So let's start at the beginning. You've got GOOD gas, (no chance of it being old,contaminated with water, etc?
Smell it, if it smells like varnish is yellow, toss it, and get new stuff.
Next pull your spark plug. The electrode should be a nice tan, if it's white- too lean mixture, black and sooty, too rich.
If it tan, I'd try turning up your idle screw .
If it's white, turn OUT your mixture screw, (2 1/2 turns is max. more than that you need a step larger pilot jet).
If it's black, check your air filter, (air restriction is what we're looking for)
Your float height might be too high, choke stuck on, SOMETHING that causing too much fuel to enter the engine.
I'd take a look at your valve adjustment also, a tight valve will make it hard to start/ run crappy.
If all looks good.............. It's a new scoot, run it back to your dealer.
Might be timing, compression, but let's not panic! :o
Start with the easy stuff.Good luck and keep us posted!
Joe
I ride, therefore I am! ;)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:23 pm
With that bike the odds are very high that a simple idle speed adjustment will take care of a lot of your problems. As for the starter you probably need a new starter solonoid. Covered under warranty - take it back to your dealer before you put too many miles on it for the warranty to be honored (In India the warranty has a 9,000 km restriction unlike the US where the mileage is unlimited).
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:37:40 pm
Canderjeet,
I own an AVL Classic 500 Lean burn.
My carb boot ( rubber intake) can loosen causing a vaccum leak and cause your described problems.
I was ham hoking the carb choke switch, which lead to the carb moving ,and caused a vaccum leak.
Easy fix by insuring the intake boot( rubber intake) from carb to jug is on properly.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)