Author Topic: 30mm or 32mm Keihin for stock with high flow exhaust?  (Read 12198 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:06:28 pm
Mike, I am working on installing a brand new '06 ES motor (minus ES) w/ 5spd replacing my '03 motor w/ 4spd that died. I will have to re-tune the carb for this new motor. So right now I can't be much help, sorry! Have you tried a different clip position yet? Also, make sure your float height is correct; those float bowls hang up sometimes when you remove them and if your not careful you can disturb the float or needle carriage. What is your exhaust note like after the modification of your tank killer? - Blltrdr "

first off, what happened to the 03??  When it's time to get rid of the spares that you can't use on the 06 give me a shout. I'm collecting spares for the inevitable....
What is the correct float height??
  As far as the clip, I had such a hard time compressing that LONG spring when I first installed that I've been hesitant to fight it again. As a matter of fact; I clipped 1/2 an inch off of it just so I could get it all compressed to get the top back on.  To tell you the truth, I think I'm so rich that I'm still taking the large steps with the jets, then I'll get down to the baby step fine tuning with the needle.
  Exhaust note - Not that " tinnie"  sound that I've heard from others....  lo and mellow at idle. I've also cut off all but about 2 inches of the pipe at the end. I've thought about cutting it off flush and then taking a holesaw and opening it up a little more. This should give me a little better breathing and look WAY COOL. So long as I'm working on the jetting, now is the time.  It gets to a loud deep roar when I grab some throttle and sounds even better when I let off. Last Sept. was the first I've ever let anyone else ride it and I gotta tell ya; it sure sounded good heading off down the highway.
              - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:45 pm
 Mike, I'm h
  first off, what happened to the 03??  When it's time to get rid of the spares that you can't use on the 06 give me a shout. I'm collecting spares for the inevitable....
What is the correct float height??
  As far as the clip, I had such a hard time compressing that LONG spring when I first installed that I've been hesitant to fight it again. As a matter of fact; I clipped 1/2 an inch off of it just so I could get it all compressed to get the top back on.  To tell you the truth, I think I'm so rich that I'm still taking the large steps with the jets, then I'll get down to the baby step fine tuning with the needle.  
              - Mike

Mike, about the only spares I will have will be the ES primary cases complete with starter; all brand new! The float height is 19mm. You can get some additional info at www.sudco.com or at www.scootrs.com/tech.cfm?tip=float, a lot of scooters use these carbs also! You will find in the Sudco site some different slide cutaways to choose from for fine tuning. You might contact JRC for exact cutaway used for their PWC 30 application; standard is 3.5 according to Sudco.

Blltrdr
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 01:16:14 am
GOOD SITES!!
    got them saved till spring when I'm ready to attack it again.
                                        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill