Author Topic: Keihin PWK 30mm 2" flange  (Read 4368 times)

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
on: December 10, 2008, 05:55:03 pm
Is it possible to put a carb with a 2" center-center flange on the bullet engine? When I measure mine it looks like it is about 60mm (2 5/16" or so) from center to center on my 2006 Bullet.

The CMW listing for their flatside carb indicates that it would fit Nortons, BSAs and other British bikes. The same statement is made by this carb. Can anyone shed any light on how these different sizes can be used? Was there a standard size back in the day? Does the iron bullet match it?

Thanks,
-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:39:10 pm
You'd have to file the holes in the flange oval to accomodate the change, so it lines up with the Bullet mounting holes.
This is probably do-able, but I'd have to see the actual part to say for sure.

Many Keihin type carbs like the OKO can mount on a rubber hose like the Mikarb does, and you could just bore your Bullet intake manifold to 30mm bore diameter, and use that.
It has enough meat to do 30mm bore in the manifold. Not much more than that, but it can do 30mm. Probably you'll have to file the gasket hole a bit larger to match.
That way you can use what you've got, and mount the carb on your existing manifold.

If not, I'm pretty sure that Sudco has rubber manifolds of various sizes to fit your application. Just Google "Sudco" and look thru their manifolds in their online catalog.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:42:34 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:54:41 pm
Rick-  your dimension is about right. Mine came with the proper drilling on it's flange to mount right up. Due to the closeness of the carb; I needed to change the capscrews to studs.
                - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:43:23 am
The PWK carb is sold for many applications, the only difference is the mounting flange. JRC engineering out of Lake Parris, CA is the US distributor who supplies the carbs to CMW. They machine the flanges for the different applications. The original flange that came with my PWK was a real B!@#ch to mount. So through some contacts I found that JRC machined a brand new flange. I order one for a woppin' $9 and presto, everything is grand. Any technical ? you might have you might contact them directly. They also have a new and improved throttle control spring for the PWK. I'm sure one of Kevin's sale staff could help you out.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII