Author Topic: Article in Rider Magazine  (Read 15060 times)

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
on: December 10, 2008, 05:05:20 pm
Somebody on another board says there's an article on the new Bullet in the current issue of Rider Magazine.  Haven't been able to lay hands on one.  Has anybody seen it yet? ???

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:44:44 pm
Read it a couple of days ago. I wouldn't waste my money on the issue just for the article because it's kind of a rehash of similar articles. I think a majority of members here that post could write a better article describing the Bullet. If you have ever read the articles in Motorcycle Escape you would have a good reference point for a great article. I'm not sure if that publication is still on the stands but that's the mag I would like to see a Bullet article in.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:50:30 pm
I understand we can expect a good article in an upcoming (March?) Cycle World but this one was news to me.  I have only ever read a couple of issues of Rider and it was OK but a bit light on details.  About the only mag I can really do without is Motorcycle Cruiser.  They all write like people who only started riding bikes a few months ago.

I have read a few articles on RE's in different magazines in the past and they begin bellyaching about the finish, proceed to "lack of power" (compared to a sportbike, I suppose) and end up b****ing about maintenance issues.  I'm no tinkerer myself so I have hopes this new bike will give the Japanese a run for the money.  Still, one must consider a bike as what it is, not what it is not.  I want it for what it is.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:27:34 pm
LS, as Blltrdr said: "Read it a couple of days ago. I wouldn't waste my money on the issue..."  I also look forward to receiving my Cycle World March (hopefully) issue for the article that RE1 mentioned under another thread!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:05:25 pm
I haven't read it, and I won't be wasting my money on it, either.

I've pretty much come to expect that kind of article from most of the mags. That's IF they happen to spend any copy-space to even mention an RE.

Let's face facts. The majority of bike rags out there are primarily venues for promoting the Japanese multi-cylinder sportbikes. That's who pays for the ads in those mags, and they know "where their bread is buttered". I almost can't wait for the next "600cc SportBike Shootout" article. They haven't had one since last month's issue! And the issue before that one, And the issue before that one....
Then there's the Cruiser mags, and the occasional touring or MX mag.
We just don't "fit in" to their mentality.
Their idea of an "all around" motorcycle is a hypermotard that comes with a it's own matching step-ladder..
I think they forgot what motorcycles are supposed to be, and are swirling around in their own maelstrom of hype.

To most of these writers, speed is the only interest in motorcycling. It's all about what lap-time it can do at "Willow Springs". Most of them wouldn't even know what to do with a Bullet. It's outside of their little box of ideas. And the publishers are going to place articles based on who is spending the most in the advertising department.
So, it became apparent long ago that these magazines may as well change their names to "TheYamasuzuhondasaki Journal".
They grudgingly had to start talking about Ducati when the Japanese bikes were getting their clocks cleaned for about 10 years straight by Ducati in Superbike competition, and the mags just couldn't be so blatant about ignoring them anymore.

The mags are fun if you own a Hayabusa or a GSXR, and want to have your ego stroked every month for $4.50 at the news-stand.
Squid-bait. :D

Hopefully, Cycle World will make some effort to write a decent article on the UCE, squeezed in between fold-out  glamour ads for the the new Japanese liter-bikes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:26:53 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:57 pm
Well said ,Ace,, when I talk to some cycle folks ,I say its all about torque not speed ...I get  ??? ??? ??? look.,"Hey cool looking bike , how about the maintenance? .....After we talk about adjusting, valves , dry sump engine ,and separate gear box ,I get anther ??? ???

Yeah it's in league of its own.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:56:49 am
I read the article a couple of days ago and thought it was very complimentary given the bike only had 14 miles on it and evidently the dealer turned it over to the writer without a good prepping as he had to tighten several fasteners.
The bike was an AVL Classic BTW, not the UCE.  So unless you have that very bike and want the article to help sell your bike down the road or got the mag free you haven't missed too much.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 05:40:09 pm
Their idea of an "all around" motorcycle is a hypermotard that comes with a it's own matching step-ladder..
I think they forgot what motorcycles are supposed to be, and are swirling around in their own maelstrom of hype.

Ace

If I remember rightly, Triumph got roundly criticised around 1971 for the excessive tallness of their new oil-in-frame 650 twins. You have to laugh. One of those bikes would look like some kind of radical custom low rider if you parked it next to your average 2008 hypermotard/adventure bike.

Chas
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:30 pm
Back to the topic at hand, it seems there's at least one useful magazine article out there in the U.K. magazine "The Classic Motorcycle."  It won't tell you anything you didn't know (or at least could not have guessed) if you've kept up with the Enfield forums, but it's a fairly detailed article, and it's available for the moment on their website.

http://www.classicmotorcycle.co.uk/
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Land Surveyor

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:29 pm
I get that Brit mag from a local bookstore.  Those guys over there are WAY serious about their bikes.  Their idea of restoration is darned near resurrection in some cases.  They mostly give "Not British Make" bikes a fair shake as well.

The articles I have read in that and one of its sister publications (whose name I can't remember at the moment) have been very complimentary to Indian RE's, which are also featured in ads in practically very issue.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:32:16 pm
Bullet Bill, very good article... thanks for sharing it.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:43:08 pm
Back to the topic at hand, it seems there's at least one useful magazine article out there in the U.K. magazine "The Classic Motorcycle."  It won't tell you anything you didn't know (or at least could not have guessed) if you've kept up with the Enfield forums, but it's a fairly detailed article, and it's available for the moment on their website.

http://www.classicmotorcycle.co.uk/
Bill, I purchase all those Brit bike magazines. Not only are the articles well written you have a large amount of ads in the mag that can direct you to many parts and accessories you may not find in the states. The articles are well written by journalist who have grown up riding many of the bikes we can only dream about. Bravo for posting the web site. Actually I have corresponded with James the editor of The Classic Motorcycle, he took the time to write back to me right away and answer my question. Wonder if you would get the same response from an editor from one of the US cycle mags? Do you have a week!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:18:27 pm
I definitely share what seems to be the common opinion around here of most U.S. motorcycle mags.  They'll give you a stat chart, rave about how the bike is good or bad based on its top speed compared to a hayabusa, then move on to an advert. page.

I've only just gotten into The Classic Motorcycle, starting with the November issue (The Black Shadow on the cover caught my eye), and I'm more than impressed with the writing quality.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 04:46:19 am
The European and especially the Brit motorcycle magazines are much kinder and much more interested in the Enfield.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 03:22:22 pm
They also have a short article in the American magazine "Motorcycle Classics" this month. They thought the bike was smooth, handled well, got good gas mileage, but the motor had the Quote "same lazy feel of previous models". Another quote said..."Still this is not---and never was---a machine to encourage anything other than a leisurely pace. The extra power means 70mph isn't a strain anymore, but the bike is happier-----and a lot quieter and smoother at 55mph."    All in all they liked the bike. I guess some of us just don't "feel the need forspeed" . If I want to go fast I just jump on one of my other bikes. I still love cruising at 55-60 on the LAZY old iron head Bullet. After getting used to the Idea of the new engine(i still hate EFI) I might just get a new UCE Electra, but the extra cost of the trials kit is making it quite an investment, and I have to think on that awhile. Now that I think of it. This has probably been asked before, but is the Electra with a UCE motor available in the US?     Hutch 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:26:30 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.