Author Topic: so what was the first thing u took off your Electra  (Read 3940 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 30, 2007, 01:38:27 am
mine was the switch to the side stand that won't let the motor start without the stand up..  It worked for awhile and then stopped woking..as I found out when I got to the end of my 100 yard long driveway and put the stand down to close the gate and the engine kept runninig ???..  But I thought that's a good think since one of my BMW's had that same sidestand thing.. and the valves got so carboned up that it stopped running.. to much stopping and starting on a cold engine.. meant a trip to the shop, where it was under warranty, but before it got there, the transport company flipped it on it's side and they had to pay for a $1000 or so of plastic, wasn't preTty..

Anyway crawled under the bike {how do you crawl under an RE} :o

and found the wires had been chew in to,  by probably a squirrel. since they also chewed through a hose where I was watering 17 trees I planted, with a soaker hose because of the heat and I left it on all night to discover the next morning I had a 30 foot in the air water sprinkler, my garage was standing water. I stepped into the lawn and sunk 4 inches deep into mud..  might have to take out a bank loan to pay the water bill when I get it :P

so the side stand system is gone, and am thinking about taking the smog system off next.

what have you removed so far?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:39:58 am by scotty »

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:49:37 pm
Removed:
Bench seat
Exhaust system and PAV unit
carb
airbox
lightswitch jumper

Added:
Solo seat
Performance exhaust
Amal carb and choke
cone A/F
luggage rack and saddle bags

-matt

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:22:54 pm
Mine is a Classic, but the first thing to go was the muffler, replaced with upswept fishtail pipe with baffle. Next was jetting carb,then the tailight/turn signal assembly was removed along with the last 5 inches of fender. Solo seat and sparto tailight with small turnsignals mounted to original rear seat mount holes. Those low bars had to go, and were replaced with 12 inch ape hangers. The classic doesn't have that switch on the kickstand, at least my '05 doesn't. My '06 Savage 650 does, and I hate it, along with the clutch lever switch.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

gapl53

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:00:41 pm
The first item that I removed was the large hose from the airbox to the PAV unit. Stopped the left side of the engine and the air filter from being soaked in engine oil.