Author Topic: difference in looks  (Read 36877 times)

Royal.Oilfield

Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 01:03:56 pm
@Lawrence

Look at this 1959 RE Crusader Unit-Construction-Engine. Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Cheers, Johann

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 01:41:35 pm
From the way it looks to me, when somebody sits on the bike, it will look fine.
I think it just looks funny because it's unladen.

My old Bullet's fender is way over the wheel when it's up on the centerstand.
Ace, we are talking space behind the tire, NOT above the tire.  Hutch

Yes, I understand.
However, remember the swing-arm arc.
This UCE has a longer swing-arm and  it is clearly hanging below level on the stand.
When that suspension gets compressed with a rider, the wheel is going to move rearward as well as upward on the swing-arm arc.
I'd say it's going to move at least a half-inch rearward during its travel, when it gets to the level position.
That might be enough to make the appearance seem more acceptable to your eye.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 02:51:53 pm
Ace, I mentioned the swingarm arc earlier, and that it would not take up the large gap, for the following reason. The diameter of the tire/ wheel assembly is the greatest at the point of where the axle goes through, measuring from front to rear(left to right). Once the fender moves down past that point, the measured distance of the tire/wheel front to rear, is shorter as the fender get s closer to the ground. Since the fender moves up and down, not right to left, the gap will get even BIGGER, when weight is added to the bike, because of the tire/wheel assembly getting narrower(front to rear) closer to the ground.Blltrdrr, As far as me not getting momentum was mentioned, how come several others see what I see? All I know is that my 2005 Bullet with full size tires has to big of a gap at the rear and buy going to the 18" wheel and still using the 19" fender,the gap will be even larger.You are correct....we need a profile picture with someone setting on the bike. I think the rear fender with all the gap at the rear will just not look correct, with an otherwise beautiful bike. Just my oppinion.  Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #48 on: December 13, 2008, 05:08:34 pm
 Hutch, just mixin' it up a and funnin' a little. Who uses fightin' words like scrunched anyway! This forum is all about getting your point across. Maybe Kevin has a side view picture from his trip with a rider on the C5 so your question can be answered.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #49 on: December 13, 2008, 06:47:31 pm
Hutch, just mixin' it up a and funnin' a little. Who uses fightin' words like scrunched anyway! This forum is all about getting your point across. Maybe Kevin has a side view picture from his trip with a rider on the C5 so your question can be answered.
I know what you mean about funning or trying to get your point across. This is the best sight for not getting into arguements that I visit. Some people on other sights just get hostile when you try to "inform" them about something. The first picture of the blue Bullet that you had to scroll right on, was taken by a guy that was right there looking at the bike. He said the fender was way to large with the 18" rim and tire. When I looked at the picture, I could see what he meant. I wish we could get a profile of the bike with someone seated on it to see how it looks. A picture of the bike profile from the left side(shifter side) would be the best, because the muffler obstructs the view of the fender gap at the rear on the right side of the bike. While a bike with weight on it will get rid of some of the gap at the top, I think it will make the gap at the back even more obvious.  I am kind of a fanatic about things looking like they belong together because I have been customizing bikes for over 40 years. If it doesn't look right, I change it until it does look right. There isn't anything worse than something that looks "cobbled" together.  Pictures please, we need more pictures. Left side preferrably. If you want to get a full screen picture of the blue bike with 18" wheel and 19" fender, go to the Royal Enfield News Area on this sight......Pick the "New bikes at the NEC-UK " thread on the 1st page, 1st post ,Click on the link to go to the article and picture in full screen. The post is made by an ENGLISHMAN. I tend to believe the words of an Englishman, because they have been looking at Royal Enfields a lot longer than we Americans. As soon as I looked at the picture....it stuck out like a sore thumb.  Hutch
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:24:01 pm by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.