Author Topic: difference in looks  (Read 36882 times)

Monty

• Scooter
on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:32 am
Hello all you Royal Enfield owners.  I have been looking at purchasing a Royal Enfield for some time, I was first drawn to them because of there looks.  How much different will these new bikes be from the "traditional" bikes. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:27:04 am
This is the upcoming new 2009 Royal Enfield Classic 500 with new UCE engine

Traditional Royal Enfield Bullet 500 with old iron-barrel engine and optional solo seat

Royal Enfield Electra X with AVL Lean Burn Engine and dual seat
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:49:18 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 03:39:21 am
This is the upcoming new 2009 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Ace, does the image choice indicate you're leaning toward the red bike?  I am; but under the condition of making the call after I see this color up close and personal in the coming year!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:51:44 am
This is the upcoming new 2009 Royal Enfield Classic 500

Ace, does the image choice indicate you're leaning toward the red bike?  I am; but under the condition of making the call after I see this color up close and personal in the coming year!

Juan,
I like the red one just fine, but my top preference is the black one.
I just grabbed the first pictures that I found which were all about the same size, for easy comparison on the post.

Monty

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:30:06 am
ace.cafe thanks for the picture side by side.  to my untrained eye there dose not seem to be much difference between two.  I know the engine is different but other than that thy look the same to me.  Do you know if the new bike will have a dual seat?  Thanks for your help.  Monty

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:29:57 am
This one's under the UCE pricing thread too, but I'll shorten the trip for you.  Looks like the C-5 model will have a solo seat standard, along with a pillion (maybe sold separately?).
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 02:46:00 pm
ace.cafe thanks for the picture side by side.  to my untrained eye there dose not seem to be much difference between two.  I know the engine is different but other than that thy look the same to me.  Do you know if the new bike will have a dual seat?  Thanks for your help.  Monty

There are many changes in the new UCE Bullet, but many of them are subtle.
There was a desire to maintain the vintage look, in the likeness of the Bullet for heritage purposes.
Of course, the UCE models have the new engine and electronic fuel injection(EFI)
All UCE models will have the disc brake, like the Electra X has.
The UCE models have the drive chain on the right side of the bike, instead of the traditional left side.
The UCE bikes have a longer swing-arm, and 18" wheels. Older Bullets had 19" wheels.
 Also, the new UCE classic seems to lack a kickstarter, which is a bone of contention among the traditionalists.

The UCE "G5" model, which is similar to a Deluxe Electra, will have a dual seat like this.

And the optional pillion seat on the UCE Classic will look like the one shown on the black bike in the 3rd photo of the 2nd posting on this thread link.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,2680.0.html.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:14:43 pm by ace.cafe »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 07:05:09 am
Ace, that pillion is something to be desired. NOT! What is that a sleeping bag roll? There's a dark place in the woodshed for that log! I think you would need a two up seat to bolt on when you need it and the solo when you don't. What say you?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

chumma7

• Bulleteer
ACE Fireball 001

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:01:16 pm
Ace, that pillion is something to be desired. NOT! What is that a sleeping bag roll? There's a dark place in the woodshed for that log! I think you would need a two up seat to bolt on when you need it and the solo when you don't. What say you?

Heh-heh. Yeah, it's not the pinnacle of pillion seat appearance.
I think it's a little tall, and needs some curving to match the fender line, and could use some vinyl that doesn't permanently wrinkle when you sit on it. For some reason, all the Enfield seats get these flat spots and wrinkles where your legs go, that never go away. So when you get off the bike, the seats look terrible.. Much more so than other seats that I've noticed. Gosh, the early Indian Bullet dual-seat was terrible in that respect. The modern Electra dual seat is better, though.

However, I do think a pillion can be good looking when it's done right. I think a well-done combination of solo-seat and pillion looks better than a dual-seat on a Bullet.
I've never really liked any of the Indian-Enfield dual seats, although the Electra/Sixty-5 type dual seat is probably the best of the bunch, and I could live with that one.

I think the best of all is solo seat only, and that's what I have, but I don't have any passengers to carry.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 05:34:12 pm
It's a solo seat for me, too!  I took 110 lbs. off the bike by replacing the dual seat.

Papa Juan

prof_stack

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:46:19 pm
It's a solo seat for me, too!  I took 110 lbs. off the bike by replacing the dual seat.
Funny.  That would be 5 pounds for the seat and 105 pounds for your "sweetie", right?

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:53 pm
Prof_stack, you got it right!  Are you a Mathematics professor?

Papa Juan

prof_stack

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 03:09:31 am
Prof_stack, you got it right!  Are you a Mathematics professor?

A prof of sorts, teaching high school math along with a season of boys soccer coaching at a Jesuit HS.  Been doing it for a long time.  The kids keep me young. 

I steal their energy by giving them long homework assignments to channel it back to me.   ::)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 03:22:15 am
Prof, thanks for the response -- I had a hunch about the Mathematics angle.  In my B.C. (Before Castro) days, I went to a Jesuit school (K-BS) in Cuba -- Colegio de Dolores.  I am sure you know that the Jesuits are the Delta Force of Catholic education.

I concur with you regarding the energy an old timer -- like me -- can receive from the young.  My wife and I have three grandsons -- ages 12, 8 and 6.  We are also involved with their schools... it's real neat stuff. 

Papa Juan