Author Topic: Oil question... (linons and tigers and bears- oh my!)  (Read 5621 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 06:28:45 pm
I'm getting tired of saying this, but once again Ace is right. The bikes are shipped with regular oil in them. Actually only a minimum amount of oil. The factory recommends 15W40 now instead of 20W50, but 20W50 is fine. 15W40 is common in India and I think in Europe also, but not so common here in the colonies.
They also told me recently that 10W40 is fine. I am kind of a 20W50 guy in air cooled motorcycles though. The new UCE will have the same recommendation I am told.

Kevin, I know this is an old post.  Any major reason not to use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 in my 2010 C5 UCE engine here in Portland,OR?

Thanks,
Scott

R.D.

• Scooter
  • Bull - AVL500 - India
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 09:19:36 pm
I very seriously doubt that ANY Enfield is shipped with synthetic oil from the factory.
Break-in requires some friction for items to properly bed, and it's been shown that synthetic oils may be counterproductive in this regard for break-in purposes.

The proper oil for break-in would be a Dino oil which is API rated with the SL rating, or previous.
Not SM rating.
SM rated oils are the new formulations to extend the lives of catalytic converters, and lack sufficient zinc and phosphorous additives to properly lubricate solid lifters and cams during a break-in period.
Dino oil of API rating of SL or earlier, 20w-50, will get it done.

For the new UCE with hydraulic lifters, the foregoing information MAY not apply, but I have no specific information about that yet.

IMHO
Kevin is correct
# 1 - He is the head honcho at CMW, and an official channel partner ,representing REML for the U.S.
# 2 - The Factory / Principals , have to keep C.M.W. updated on technical upgrades, changes, mods etc. via service bulletins & he might be the first person to know if any changes/ mods are incporporated in U.S. spec. Enfield models.
# 3  REML still does not have the resources as huge as the Japanese biggies to invest into the latest tooling and machining technology to produce engines to very close tolerances that might allow usage of synthetics from factory fill itself , Because - Synthetics comprise of additives that prevent frictional wear and tear & the old tech. derived engines of the Enfields, do require a little bit of wear and tear between moving parts, and that's the reason we call it a ''Bedding in /
Running in''  process and its the specific reason why an Enfieldeer is first required to drain the oils in the first couple of hundred miles & does find quite a bit of ferrous/non ferrous metal wear parts floating in the oil during the first 1 or 2 or 3 oil changes
# 4  Synthetics / Dino-Minerals oils from various brands - Is again like a mixture of base oils and additives and ''special formulations'' tried and tested to operate under varied operating / load conditions and environs, but the basics still boils down to ''lubrication''........prevent metal to metal contact or friction between moving parts

Over all  (I Feel ) - As far as Royal Enfields are concerned, i am sure that synthetics are still not used as first fill lubricants           

Dream, as if you'll live forever,
Live, as if you'll die today

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 09:43:47 pm
Mr Scotty, my personal experience over 40 years, and that of most tech-types i checked with (just to make sure), recommended I use dino oil for the first 1000 miles +/-.   I don't get the UCE is at a place where synthetics would be advisable during that time.

Personally, I change my oil around 750 miles, so synthetc oil seems like a waste of money.  I like to dump the junk that accumulates.
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 11:13:54 pm
I already have over 1000 miles on the bike.  I'll have over 2000 before I plan to switch to synthetic.

Scott

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:12 am
Ride on, brother.
May all your dreams come true. 

At least you care.  On another forum I frequent, folks are posting stories about those who never check and blow up their engines.  Amazing...
Run what ya brung

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:45:00 pm
I already have over 1000 miles on the bike.  I'll have over 2000 before I plan to switch to synthetic.

Silly me!  The bike already had an oil change before I bought it and the dealer put in 15w50 Maxima full synthetic.  I did another one yesterday at 1500 miles with the same oil.  I'll proably change again when I get back from my trip to the bay area and go to Mobi1 1 4T 10w40 full synth moto oil then.

Scott