Author Topic: Starter POP  (Read 6854 times)

No. 5

• Scooter
on: September 08, 2007, 03:45:08 am
On several occasions my electric start has popped POW! when I hit the button. Like a metallic firecracker. I was sure it was toast, but started right up on the next push. I even checked the primary case for broken teeth. I can't make it happen, so the dealer is no help. Anyone have similar problems?

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:12:26 am
Would you say the POP was an electrical sound or mechanical? Maybe you have a loose connection that arcs when you hit the button?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:47:54 am
I would be inclined to think that it is an electrical pop, take the starter button apart and see if it needs replacing - check all the connections through to the starter too.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 12:07:35 pm
On several occasions my electric start has popped POW! when I hit the button. Like a metallic firecracker. I was sure it was toast, but started right up on the next push. I even checked the primary case for broken teeth. I can't make it happen, so the dealer is no help. Anyone have similar problems?

Was it a backfire (thru the carb)?

I rarely use the starter, but have read that it benefits the starter if, just like kickstarting, you nudge the piston just past TDC compression - using the kickstarter - before engaging the starter. I do this most of the time when I electric start. It provides the same benefit to the motor as it does to our legs. More importantly, the POP might be exactly the same effect as when you try to kick the bike over and it 'kicks back' at you. This often happens when you haven't nudged the piston just past TDC.

Matt

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:23:23 pm
I have that same thing happen on a couple of occasions sound like something is going to break....I have often times thought about removing the starter to see if  I see any broken metal

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:17:42 pm
NOt very comforting. Considering the timing/destroyed sprague clutch/ connection, this noise at start is kinda worrisome.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 08:29:37 pm
Ignore this if you're certain that the pop is coming from the starter motor or switch......   Is the pop coming from the silencer?  Many kickstart singles will do this if you try to start them without first turning the engine past compression.  Certainly my RE and my Velo do it.  You discover this when the decompressor cable breaks and you can't use it. 

If you turn the engine to compression and then kick, the piston can go over compression without igniting the mixture so an unburnt charge goes into the exhaust pipe.  A quarter of a second later (if you have kicked hard enough) the next compression stroke comes around and the engine fires.  The burnt gases going into the exhaust pipe ignite the unburnt fuel still in the exhaust system and you get a loud POP at the same time as you hear then engine start.  I suppose the same thing could happen when using the electric start. 

Tom
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 08:31:49 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:10:07 pm
Remove the side panel and check the nut on the solenoid. Sometimes the factory doesn't tighten them ll the way down.

Babaganoush

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 01:07:38 am
Hi No.5,
I'll go with louma on this one. From your description, it sounds like a high amperage arcing in or on the starter. If I were you, I would unhook the battery first and then check for blackened areas where your red wire attaches to the battery. You may also see metal disfigured from the arcing. If nothing is on the outside and you feel adventurous, you might pull the starter apart and look for sparking damage inside. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:38:06 pm
Luoma makes a good point. While nothing is impossible the starter motors on the Bullet are well..... bullet proof. In all of the years we have sold the Bullet we have only had one or two bad starter motors and even then I wonder. As I said, nothing is impossible, but I would not make it my first choice for your problem
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 02:31:44 pm
i checked my solenoid and noticed there was a greyish whithe electrical residue on the side of the washers..  so I had some arcing going there

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 04:22:30 am
Speaking of solenoids, anyone able to post a pic of one from the Enfield?
We make solenoids here where I work and am just curious as to the style and similarity to any we make for Bombardier, Polaris, Arctic Cat (others that won't be cycle applicable).