Author Topic: over-rich carb?  (Read 6224 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: August 29, 2007, 01:21:31 am
Help! I have a brand new 2007 deluxe, about 100 miles. posted a question about clutch drag and got a good reply. Here is my new question; I think the carb is running rich. the plug is completely black and somewhat shiny, there appears to be a fuel spot on the air-cleaner and there is an accumulation of fuel(fuel and oil?) on the bottom of the carb. the bike starts reluctantly but once started it will idle. When I try to take off I get about 20 feet and it back-fires, sputters and dies. I realize these are probably just new/old bike gremlins but I really want to get this solved so I can keep breaking my baby in.

Thanks,
             Jon

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:49:29 am
Have you checked to see if it is oil spraying into your airbox from the breather tube? If it is, get a duckbill and let it oil your chain.

prof_stack

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 03:27:48 am
Have you called Vince at the shop and asked him?  I'm curious what his reply would be.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:09:02 am
Thanks for the tip about the duck-bill breather. I considered that possibility. Is it much trouble to empty that catch-can? You would think that something that could fill-up with oil would be easier to get at. If I pinch off that hose from the can to the airbox and it runs better I guess that would answer the question. I would only do this temporarily of course.
Thanks
Jon

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:17:51 am
This is for prof_stack
Hey! I am the one with the black deluxe. I am still figuring out this forum thing. When I get these gremlins out of my bike I would enjoy showing it off to you. It has been a blast to ride so far even though the speed and time limitations during break-in have kept me from doing anything but riding it back and forth to work and tooling around Queen Anne. Keep in touch and I will ride over when the bike is feeling more up for it.

Jon

hoppyre

• Scooter
  • 06 Bullet Sixty-5. 09 Suzuki Tu250x
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:59:08 am
Help! I have a brand new 2007 deluxe, about 100 miles. posted a question about clutch drag and got a good reply. Here is my new question; I think the carb is running rich. the plug is completely black and somewhat shiny, there appears to be a fuel spot on the air-cleaner and there is an accumulation of fuel(fuel and oil?) on the bottom of the carb. the bike starts reluctantly but once started it will idle. When I try to take off I get about 20 feet and it back-fires, sputters and dies. I realize these are probably just new/old bike gremlins but I really want to get this solved so I can keep breaking my baby in.

Thanks,
             Jon

Hey Jon, check the choke lever and plunger to make sure it is completely closed. I push down on the top of the plunger to make sure it is closed. Also, check all of the breather hoses for clogging. Mine was plugged with that off-white mayo stuff,and the small hose from the catch can to the timing chest had rubber cement blocking almost all of it off on the engine side!!!!
  You may need to clean or replace the plug then check the carb mixture adjustment. Good Luck!!!!                   

Mark

prof_stack

Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:38:32 pm
This is for prof_stack
Hey! I am the one with the black deluxe. I am still figuring out this forum thing. When I get these gremlins out of my bike I would enjoy showing it off to you. It has been a blast to ride so far even though the speed and time limitations during break-in have kept me from doing anything but riding it back and forth to work and tooling around Queen Anne. Keep in touch and I will ride over when the bike is feeling more up for it.     Jon

Thanks Jon.  I PM'd you right now before reading this.  Wow, you live nearby me!  I'll be on the avenue looking for a RE fly-by!   ;D  Maybe we can meet at $tarbucks or Tullys and chat.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:18:42 pm
My 2007 Classic had the same problems with "mayo" blocking off the crankcase outlet, catch can duckbill, and return line (it has a duckbill in it, too)... system is supposed to provide negative crankcase pressure through the duckbill in the can, vent the gasses over to the airbox, condense the oil and water vapor, and return the glop to the timing case.  When the outlet tube from the crankcase or the duckbill in the catch can get plugged up, the slight negative crankcase pressure provided by the duckbill isn't there, and oil vapor gets blown past the rings... the bike starts "using oil" and I usually have "mayo" on the dipstick as well.  if the return tube gets blocked (and there's a duckbill in that line, too)  the catch can doesn't drain properly, the duckbill gets plugged, and the effect is the same - oil blow-by.  Mine plugged up regularly early in the season when it was cold - takes time to get the oil up to temp, and the plumbing acts like a condensation tube... just have to take both tubes and the can off and clean everything out.

I don't like the idea of any of that junk going back into the crankcase, so I split the return tube and left about 2 inches attached to the return port on the timing case, then  blocked the tube with a dowel.  Left about 4 inches attached to the catch can, and blocked that with a dowel, too.  Now I can drain some of the stuff(mostly water)  in the catch can by removing the dowel plug in the line.  Catch can still gets glopped up eventually, so I pull it off and clean the can and the duckbill inside every 500 miles or so.

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

deejay

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:57:29 pm

I don't like the idea of any of that junk going back into the crankcase

No doubt, I removed that return the 1st week I had my bike. After seeing what the catch can was collecting, I decided I didn't want that returning to my bike. Nor do I want it "oiling" my chain. I just routed mine under the back of my rear fender using a clear hose and the duckbill from the can, that way I can see if it is clogged. I also hold my hand under it before each ride just to feel if there is air flowing.

I need to take a pic of it so others can see what I'm talking about.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 03:13:22 pm
I need to take a pic of it so others can see what I'm talking about.

that would be nice

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:41:33 am
I'd like to see some pics too deejay.
Thanks!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin