Author Topic: UCE pricing announcement  (Read 55212 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #75 on: January 15, 2009, 05:05:43 pm
 Now yer talkin! Some vintage Yamaha never get's old. How about the SR500? And a Hustler too! I wonder if Larry Flynt gets royalty checks?  Blltrdr
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:25:35 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #76 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:47 pm
  SAVAGE! Hmmm, depending how you say it, it does sound French. Now that makes all the difference in the world! Maybe the dealer will throw in a Django Reinhardt and a Edith Piaff cd if I buy the TU 250 too! I hope the TU is called PETIT SAVAGE; that would be a big bonus!  Savagerdr

Yeah !!  And maybe some vintage Leo Kottke to go with the Reinhardt and Piaff stuff! It could be like the Hardees commercial...  "Ba donk ka donk and Ba dink a dink", for the Thickburger and Little Thickburger    "Le Savage" and "Le Savage Petit" for the S40 and Tu250.

Actually, I like the looks of the 250 better than the 650, it's a little more of a "street standard" look, whereas the 650 has more cruiser influence. I do like the belt drive on the 650, though.

I was on my Wing recently, and stopped at a red light, next to a young man wearing a backpack, who was riding one of the older Savages. I asked him how he liked it, and he was basically glowing about how good it was.  The light turned green, and with a big grin he really roared away, such as it is on a bike of that nature, and I could tell he was as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine.  That's got to be what riding is about, isn't it ?

Kevin, I'm glad to see that you're a collector; I've always said that if I was a mega rich guy, I'd have a stable of bikes that made Jay Leno's look like a rummage sale.

That Suzi X-6 Hustler was one of those "giant killers", and a pretty hot rig in its day.  I hope to round up a single overhead cam Honda CB750, maybe a 69 - 71 model someday to restore. The price of Rook on those things is gettiing kinda dicey, though!

By the way, my Rocket should be at my dealer today, hopefully, so I ought to be hacking soon.  I'll put up some pics as soon as I figure out how, of my Royal Enfield "Royal Glide",with batwing fairing, and with the hack. 

All I need now is some leg shields, kinda like a RR fairing, to get rid of the "Le Hurricane Petit" that comes around the bottom of the fairing, turns North and hits me in the face. I'm working on it, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe some soft "lowers" to go on a crash bar. I've tried those on other bikes, and they work pretty well, but I'd like something that's a little more areodynamically smooth, or"fair".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:16:42 pm by Alaroyal »
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #77 on: January 15, 2009, 06:29:19 pm
I think that perhaps one of those "Airflow" fairings that RE used back in the 50s might look pretty good on that bike with the hack.
I don't know if anyone is still making the Airflow. You might have to look around for a used one from back then. I'm sure they are around, if you look around enough.

Here's a pic of an RE with an Airflow fairing  on it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:34:32 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #78 on: January 15, 2009, 07:38:00 pm
Now that is a sharp fairing. I like the front fender as well.  My batwing is an escapee from an old HD police bike from a long time ago, it is a Shoei, or a copy, so I kinda like the idea of scrounging up one of those old "airflows".

I like the design, since it leaves a route for air get to the engine, and the exhaust pipe, but still would keep it off the rider. That's just what I need.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave

"The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity almost wears work clothes."

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: January 15, 2009, 09:09:00 pm
I think Suzuki did a nice job with the retro look of the 250, but the Bullet is the real thing, not a modern copy. Remember the old Porsche tag line: "There is no substitute"? Well, that's the Bullet.

I think some people were scared off by the carb and drum brake and other old fashioned aspects of the calssic Bullet (look at how many questions we got here about reliability from prospective buyers). The UCE with its low maintenance EFI, hydraulic lifters, and disk brake will be much more appealing to the buyer who wants that classic look and sound without the classic maintenance sched.

A good dealer (like Vince for example) should easily be able to sell the C5 to a shopper also looking at the Savage or the TU250. Any dealer who thinks that he can't shouldn't be selling Enfields.

As many of us have related, our Bullets never fail to draw a crowd and admiring glaces, even from the Harley guys. I bet the Savage riders don't get anything but a sneer from that crowd. The modern engine should easily make up for the extra $$ and make the RE more than capable of kicking Suzuki Savage behind in a sales competition.

On the subject of bikes we have owned, ia have owned 1 Suzuki (66 80cc 2 stroke), 2 Yamahas (69 YR2 350 2 stroke and 89 FJ1200), 1 BMW ('69 R69S),  1 Honda (71 SL175 twin), and the Enfield. For good measure add the bikes my dad owned when I was a kid, a '70 Honda CB175 twin and a 60's Indian 250 twin. The FJ is my current bike after selling the Bullet last July.

It's a toss up for me between the BMW and the Enfield for favorite.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #80 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:54 pm
Now that is a sharp fairing. I like the front fender as well.  My batwing is an escapee from an old HD police bike from a long time ago, it is a Shoei, or a copy, so I kinda like the idea of scrounging up one of those old "airflows".

I like the design, since it leaves a route for air get to the engine, and the exhaust pipe, but still would keep it off the rider. That's just what I need.

Thanks,
Dave

If I'm not mistaken, I think the fender is a part of the fairing package, although I don't know if they are actually connected together. But, they might be.
If you look closely at the fork legs, you'll notice that they go inside the shrouds of the fender, and the fender doesn't go up and down with the suspension.

And, it's a real Royal Enfield fairing, so it's not just something hanging on there from some other bike, or a universal jobbie.
I just found another view of it from a more frontal angle, so you can see the details better. this one is on a RE 350 Clipper. They were available in all colors, but these 2 photos I found just happened to both be blue.
I think this fairing would look awesome on a Bullet with a hack.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:05:45 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #81 on: January 16, 2009, 02:23:30 am
After looking at the second pic, I believe the fender rotates with the fork, it appears to be "turned", relative to the fairing. Thanks for finding those for me.

You are absolutely right, that's the fairing I need, and it will look good with the car.(although I believe you'll agree with me, the batwing really does look nice on the Electra).

By the way, I saw my sidecar at the dealer today, and left mt bike there to get the car installed. I'm eager to try it out.  It's been a long wait, (since August), but I'm sure it'll be worth it.   

Dave

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:36 am
I think that perhaps one of those "Airflow" fairings that RE used back in the 50s might look pretty good on that bike with the hack.
I don't know if anyone is still making the Airflow. You might have to look around for a used one from back then. I'm sure they are around, if you look around enough.

Here's a pic of an RE with an Airflow fairing  on it.

Ace that is a great looking fairing! The original Vetter fairings were close in design with the Airflow. I'm sure there is still a few kickin' around. Don't know about the Airflow, maybe very few left? Maybe someone could copy one and start producing them again, probably would be a good seller!    Blltrdr
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:59:25 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #83 on: January 16, 2009, 03:34:47 am
Hey guys,
Here's another version I found. I think the color's kinda cute.

More info about this foxy ride here:
http://www.1966batfan.com/bgirlcycle.htm
ACE Fireball 001

Alaroyal

• Bulleteer
Reply #84 on: January 16, 2009, 01:01:01 pm
Ok, that's it, now I know my destination.  Gotta have it.
Dave

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #85 on: January 18, 2009, 05:01:14 am
I've been on the fence about buying a RE for sometime, but the introduction of the UCE has swayed me. I was a bit concerned about the upkeep as I don't have a good area (covered) to work on a bike, even though I'm fairly handy with tools and can follow directions.
My Social Security benefits start up in May and I will be putting a sizable portion away each month. The Turquoise two-tone is in my sights. It will be my retirement gift to myself.  ;D
'On this world beneath the moon,
When Mercury is in the ascendant,
The isle of Scotland will produce a leader,
Who will cause the English discomfort.'

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: January 18, 2009, 05:21:18 am
"My Social Security benefits start up in May and I will be putting a sizable portion away each month. The Turquoise two-tone is in my sights. It will be my retirement gift to myself."  Frenchy   ;D

Good for you, Frenchy!  I am turning 62 this month and will shortly start receiving my SSA benefits.  Although I have a 2004 Sixty-5 (Perla) that I absolutely love, I, like you, am keeping a close eye on the C5!  All I have to do is justify the expense to my CEO of forty years!   ::)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #87 on: January 18, 2009, 05:53:28 am
"My Social Security benefits start up in May and I will be putting a sizable portion away each month. The Turquoise two-tone is in my sights. It will be my retirement gift to myself."  Frenchy   ;D

Good for you, Frenchy!  I am turning 62 this month and will shortly start receiving my SSA benefits.  Although I have a 2004 Sixty-5 (Perla) that I absolutely love, I, like you, am keeping a close eye on the C5!  All I have to do is justify the expense to my CEO of forty years!   ::)

I fully understand. My better half passed away 2 1/2 years ago, but she would have understood. She knew that I kept putting a bike on the back burner, while keeping family responsibilities first.

Nostradamus (Verse 93)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: January 18, 2009, 06:42:32 am
Frenchy, I ask you to please accept my profound apology for bringing our spouses into the dialogue and state that I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Frenchy

• Bulleteer
Reply #89 on: January 18, 2009, 08:47:54 am
Frenchy, I ask you to please accept my profound apology for bringing our spouses into the dialogue and state that I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

No apologies needed, my friend. We had 36 extraordinary years together, and two fabulous kids. Life throws us curves once in a while.

Nostradamus (Verse 93)