Author Topic: UCE pricing announcement  (Read 55243 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:08 pm
These types of machines (super trail/adventure bikes) make a perfect example of the look being more important than functionality. A low center of gravity makes a bike a pleasure to ride and most people's off-road needs don't require 15 inches of ground clearance. So why are we pretty much stuck with these things, amongst limited alternatives, when a hypersports plastic rocket is not our cup of tea?

RE are doing it right.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:14:20 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 06:02:08 pm
Chasfield , you bring up a good point.
In the 80's .Honda had a nice line up of dual-purpose MC's.
I remember a topical show room  had the following : 80cc,100cc,125cc,185cc, 250cc ,and 500cc singles.,all for the choosing.

I broke the piggy bank and purchased a 250 for the outrageous price of $ 1350 out the door.I think the 500 cc was $ 1850.

Now I believe the only choice is a monster 650. Not sure if things are better.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:56 pm
Yeah, those petite eighties bikes were much easier to live with, and made great commuters. I had roadster (250 RS) based on the 4 valve Honda 250 trail bike motor and that was a little gem of a machine. I don't think they exported many of them to the USA - off-road styling was probably essential in that market at that time.

Better get back on thread. US pricing for the UCE machines is fairer than I feared it might be. Well done RE, and well done generally for keeping the dainty 500 alive as a motorcycle concept when other makers have lost the plot.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace

Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:32 pm
Can't add too much to the mostly positive responses, Hat's off to Kevin and the  the crew for keeping the g-5/c-5 a closely held  secret( oh wow! check this out!)
and providing a reasonable msrp!. 

Originally the hard core faithfu lon here  were reserving judgement... Seems CMW can begin  breathing again  :)  Here's Hoping this economy doesn't spoil all this investment in work and money..
Happy holidays from chese head country...

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #49 on: January 06, 2009, 01:10:58 pm
Hi everyone,

It's interesting with the current £ to $ exchange rate - the prices you quote in $ers work out near enough the same as we will be paying over here in the UK. And I always thought you guys got everthing so much cheaper than us  ::)
Cheers
Nick

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: January 06, 2009, 05:52:07 pm
You never know where you are with that exchange rate.

Whatever it is supposed to be, half the time the real rate seems to be about a dollar for a pound - ie. we Brits. get badly ripped off.

I knew a bloke, a UK resident, who played the trumpet, Whenever he needed a new one he would fix up a vacation in the US because a decent trumpet bought in the UK was more than the cost of both a trumpet and vacation in the US.

He subsequently emigrated permanently to the US ...  for some reason.

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:30 pm

With the way the U.S. dollar has been going ,your friend is probably on his way back to the UK.
Just for fun ...a coffee and a doughnut may set you back 7-10 $ at a coffee shop. How much would tea and a biscut go for in the UK?

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: January 06, 2009, 09:10:31 pm
Tea & piece of cake - £3 tops - unless you go to one of those fancy US franchise places
Cheers
Nick

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:49 pm

With the way the U.S. dollar has been going ,your friend is probably on his way back to the UK.
Just for fun ...a coffee and a doughnut may set you back 7-10 $ at a coffee shop. How much would tea and a biscut go for in the UK?
Remember now East Pond Dwellers, Pozer is not talking US, he's talking Alaska. They've always been high priced being so far away from .......  ;D

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54:36 pm
True ,Phil
I guess a better question would have asked, what is the price of tea and cake  in down town London.
UK- Classics price of 3 GBP would be 5-6 U.S. dollars. That would be a good deal in Alaska.
I try to do business with mom & pop coffee shops when able, as apposed to franchises( nothing wrong with them just my preference)

woodboats

• Grease Monkey
  • New Zealand
Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 04:56:13 am
Hmmm, I am not to sure if taking in exchange rates are a good way to price the new bikes.
Ok, for a start, the coffee and doughnut over here would be around $4 NZ which is only a couple of US dollars.
All though we havn't had the prices yet for the new bikes my guess iis they will be around the $10,000 NZ mark ($6000 US). So on the face of it things sound about the same.
EXCEPT we have to earn $4000 more than you to afford a new bike. Say you are making $20 per hour and we are also. We will have to work that much longer to get the same bike.
I am not sure if I am explaining it right but the long and short of it is our bikes will be much more expensive than yours.
So everyone over there better buy up large! ;D
Ours: 2006 Bullet Deluxe 500
Hers: 2007 Yamaha V Star 650
His: 2007 Honda Shadow Aero 750

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 11:15:04 am
Yeah, Pozer, I do the mom and pop thing too. The pace in the franchise joints just don't fit my style. Any more I should say, 'cause like most everyone, every once-in-a-while it just seems prudent. grrr.

Pozer, you ride, it seems, as long as practical, just curious what kind of riding clothing you use in the land of wet and cold summers? (summers as compared to the lower branch of the US)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:18:47 am by PhilJ »

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 08:57:10 pm
Only heard of the ‘mom & pop’ phrase last year, there was a programme over in uk where an English  guy had to travel across the US only using mom & pop stores, motels, garages etc. Interesting stuff, shame to see many of these places being taken over by the multi nationals – sorry going off the thread a bit here!  ;D
Cheers
Nick

Kruiser

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 09:32:53 pm
Well it wouldn't make any sense for the more classic looking or the two motorcycles to
not have the kickstart, right?  You would think that if one of them would have a kickstart
it would be the  C-5.  I  would guess that neither UCE has the kickstart or both models will.

UK-Classics

• Bulleteer
Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 10:39:51 pm
Well it wouldn't make any sense for the more classic looking or the two motorcycles to
not have the kickstart, right?  You would think that if one of them would have a kickstart
it would be the  C-5.  I  would guess that neither UCE has the kickstart or both models will.

That's what I thought, but the pics on the UK RE site seem to indicate otherwise:
http://www.royal-enfield.com/royal_enfield_range_2009.htm

Cheers
Nick